Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
arkaf
My Device: Blackberry playbook
My Carrier: none for this device

Need advice regarding playbook

Lots of advice to be honest. And to top it off I really am completely ignorant about my playbook. It was a present to me for 2011 Christmas. I am not much of an electronics person and don't even have a cellphone although I had some in the past.But I liked the playbook.  I didn't use it much, but I liked it . I guess I didn't read all instructions carefully or it wasn't plainly explained, but I thought that it would be like any other device I had before, where if I had no more charge I just had to charge it again and it would go back to working without a problem. Truth be said, by luck or some other reason I didn't have any problems with it although the charge probably went to 0 several times. However in the summer I took it to my daughter's house when visiting and forgot it there. I only got it back last weekend when she came to visit me here.

I don't think it was ever turned of and to make things worse, the cat had chewed trough the charger. It is unusable.My daughter told me that it was ok she has charged hers often with the micro usb on the computer, so I tried it. Nothing happened. I did get a red light when I pressed the on button, but that was it. I thought that maybe the power from the computer wasn't strong enough to charge it, the thing is,  not only I had no idea where to get another blackberry charger fast, but also at this moment I really can't afford a penny out of my budget so I called my daughter and she told me to try connecting the micro usb to the converter ( or whatever it is ) from my son't iphone to plug it in the wall.Nothing much changed. I've been trying for the past hour, plugging it in, off, in, off... the only difference is that the last times when I plug it in the red light comes up by itself- it didn't before - it's on for some seconds, turns off and then a yellow light blinks a few times and then nothing.I assume that it's not chargin anymore so I unplug it and then try again after a bit but there has to be a proper way to do this. I prefer to think there is, than to believe that the playbook will never work again.

I don't even know what playbook I have. I assume it's one of the first ones, and it does say 32 Gb. I am not sure if it was updated at all ever since I had it. I seem to think there was an update, but I am not sure. It was never connected trough a cell phone, since I don't have one. But I did get internet over the wifi before.My daughter said something about something manager in the computer and that I don't think I have. Heck I don't even remember my blackberry id even though I know I had one ( have ). I'm just an old lady that doesn't even remember half her passwords  LOL

In any case is there any way to kind of jump start this thing? I read in another post something about a magnetic rapid charger, but I really can't buy one right now. ANy help on what I can do to get it charing? Please and thanks

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,851
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Need advice regarding playbook

You really really do need a true OEM Playbook charger or the magnetic rapid charger.

The PlayBook needs the higher charge input .. if it matters to you, at least 1.8 amps charger.

The rapid charger boosts that up to 2.0 amps.

BUT, now if you're seeing some life out of charging with your son's iPhone charger, keep at it. LEAVE it connected for several hours nonstop and try two different things to power it up...

Press and hold the power button for 20 seconds. That could bring it to life after some time, and if not, leave it charging even longer and do the power button again for 20 seconds. Do you see anything?

You can also try pressing AND holding down ALL three buttons on top... the power button and the UP and DOWN volume buttons -- all three at the same time for 20 seconds. Do you see anything? (if you never updated the Playbook to the later OS releases, this second method might work better to power it on). The new OS updates fixed some of the charging problems.

Patience is needed. Keep charging.

When and if you can get a correct charger. I'd highly recommend the magnetic rapid charger, about $17 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Blackberry-Rapid-Travel-Charger-Playbook/dp/B004XBZ728

Good luck.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
JSanders

Oh, and no, the USB cable to the PC connection really is not enough power to charge the Playbook.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
arkaf

Thank you so very much for your answer. I have hope yet :smileyhappy:

For now I think I will keep trying with my son's iphone charger and see if I can get something else out of it. I am going to leave it on all night and see how it goes in the morning.

The thing about pressing the press and hold the power button or the other one with all three buttons on top... should I do it while it's connected ( to the charger and the wall plug), or when disconected?

I think I will try that tomorrow morning because I work early and soon will need to go to sleep.

ALso thank you for the link for the magnetic charger. That seems reasonable and I might be able to get it by the end of the month.

After I come from work tomorrow I will post the results.

Once again I really appreciate your answer, thank you

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
arkaf

ALmost forgot to ask this... the usb cable to the pc is not enough to charge the playbook in these circumstances or in any circumstances? I mean with regular use and when it is not without charge like know will it work, or it won't ever work no matter what?

Please use plain text.
JSanders

Yes, leave the iPhone charger connected to the PlayBook while pressing the power button (or the power + Up + Down keys).

And, no, the USB computer connection isn't enough to charge the PlayBook anytime. You might get a trickle charge, but rarely enough to keep it charge.

Good luck. You might need to leave this connected for a couple days and every 4-5 hours, try one of those power on attempts.

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
arkaf

Ok, will try pressing the buttons thing tomorrow and will keep in mind that plugging into the computer won't charge it ( which is a pity since that's how I used to remember to charge my celphone when I had one, when it needs to connect to the wall I tend to forget - it comes with getting old, I"m told :smileyhappy:

Meanwhile I'll be patient and will follow your instructions. You have been extremelly helpful and I thank you for that.

Please use plain text.
JSanders

Give it a couple or several days doing this and please post back and let us know how it goes.

What country are you in?

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.