Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
roti
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook
Accepted Solution

New Device - Unable to download software update.

[ Edited ]

Need help!

I just got my PB today.  I have followed all the setup steps until software update.  I kept getting "Unable to download software update."  I have perfectly fine WIFI connection at home.  I even tried put it next to the router.

The current OS version is 1.0.0.1439, and trying to download version 1.0.3.1868

I have retried many times and couldn't do anything other than "Restart", "Retry" and "Turn Off"

This Software Update step should have a skip button instead of trying to update.

New Contributor
dtgallant
My Device: Playbook Simulator - latest build as of Feb 18, 2011

Re: New Device - Unable to download software update.

I also got my PlayBook today and have the same problem.

Is the update server down?

Trusted Contributor
chrispycrunch
My Device: Z10, Playbook 32GB

It worked for me. The previous version didn't work for me the first time. I had to 'retry' a few times and eventually it worked.

Keep trying - it could be a server issue on blackberry's end (just a guess).

Apparently you can also install OS6 desktop and do an upgrade via desktop.

-----------
Chris --- http://www.twitter.com/chrispycrunch
-----------
Trusted Contributor
Sith_Apprentice
My Device: various

OTA is definitely the preferred method. It is likely a server issue on the backend with being over run with updates (1.0.3 just came out). Keep retrying and it will work for you.

If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Accept as Solution" button so that others can more easily find it. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the Star on the left of their post.
New Contributor
dtgallant
My Device: Playbook Simulator - latest build as of Feb 18, 2011

Thank you for the information.

I will continue trying to get the update this evening.  It does look like the server is overloaded at the moment.  I cannot get past 6MB mark.

DG

New Contributor
roti

Installing the desktop software doesn't help, because I keep getting error to connect to the device.  I'm guessing that it is because my device hasn't completed the whole initial setup up yet.

Let me go through more details.  Every time, I turn on the device, it goes straight to "Checking Updates" and initiate new software updates.  When it failed, I have only one option, which is "Restart".  After restarting, I got "Unable to download software update." with two options "Turn Off" and "Retry".  Very ennoying, that I couldn't just skip it and do the update later.

I will click your "Accept as Solution" button, when I manage to pass this "Software Update" section.  :smileyhappy:

Thanks for the replies, I will keep trying.

New Contributor
appbuild
My Device: Blackberry Playbook Tablet

I too just bought my new Playbook and being prompted to update OS to version 1.0.3.1868.  The update attempt has failed 5 times.  Gets to about 80% (228mb of 297mb) and stops.  Is there any way to use the device without the updated OS?  I can't find a way to continue and this is becoming very frustrating.

New Contributor
jetjet101
My Device: Blackberry Playbook

I'm glad I am not the only  one experiencing this problem. I had my playbook pre-ordered and arrived 2 days after the released. I was able to update the first update software and was loving the device until the new software came yesterday. I had exact problem as you have. I called the support people from blackberry and I was talking with them for hours but still they couldn't get it to update so they decided I have a defective device. I emmediately went to bestbuy to have them exchange me with a different one but to my dismay it does the same thing. Couldn't pass 50% update and keeps telling me to retry and restart. This time though with this new playbook I have no means of using any feature at all because it wasn't pass install  yet and no skip either. It's very frustrating. I am so close in returning this back and wait after 6 months hoping playbook is ready by that time. Or if I can't wait maybe just get an ipad 2. lol! No seriously, I have been trying many many times updating this software but for no avail. Very very frustrating. I had to actually sign up for this forum so I can vent up.  I hate to let my playbook go. :smileyhappy:

Trusted Contributor
chrispycrunch
My Device: Z10, Playbook 32GB

As a techie I had no problems connecting wirelessly to get the update on opening the product. But, wi-fi can be flakey so I wonder if your wifi is 100%. what if you disabled security on your router temporarily, to rule out wifi connection?

i am sure the traffic was heavy a few days ago on RIM's server to get the update, but after retrying a few times it should work.

In hindsight my second update had a few download freezes as well. Eventually it downloaded.

I agree. RIM should not force an update. They should have a simple "skip" button or logic to "update later." They are too aggressive in giving the latest and greatest that they lose their customer even before the product is unboxed!

-----------
Chris --- http://www.twitter.com/chrispycrunch
-----------
New Contributor
roti

So to finalize this, keep trying!