Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Forums Advisor I
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314), Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746), Z10 (OS 10.3.1.1581)

Re: New OS 2.1.0.1032 is available

[ Edited ]

mrneon8 wrote:

Hi again and thanks for the continued support but i have no HUB's and my USB is the HS3 and everything works no problem cheers other than the Playbook? As per previous please could you provide the information from which you are getting regarding the New 1032 RIM OS that states its cannot support any type of USB Charging?

Also my Wall charger is only rated at 5v 750mA and works 100% so my USB HS3 should be charging it all up fine as it does everything else thats pluggd into my PC Rig??? My Solar Charger is 5v 1000mA and charges it fine, my USB/Wall charger is 5v 1A and charges fine. The fact is that the PC i use charged my Playbook within an hour or so NOT 8 or so up until the 1032 update so clearly RIM has done something regarding this and as you seem to be the only one reporting against these issues from us i for one would like to know the infomation regarding it please just to put it all straight rather than everybody speculating its this, that and the other if you know what i mean.

Cheers

There are dozens of threads over on Crackberry.com. This is one from January, much earlier than the OS 2.1 release

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackberry-playbook-f222/playbook-not-charging-through-usb-690174/

Also, read KB26808 under Additional Information at the bottom of the post: http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/btsc/viewdocument.do?externalId=KB26808&sliceId=2&cmd=displayKC&d...

And I quote: "Note: It is recommended that the BlackBerry® PlayBook is charged via the included BlackBerry® Premium Micro-USB Charger for PlayBook, as charging via USB connection from a computer will not provide as much current.  Using a USB connection from a computer will result in a much slower charge, and if the device is in use while charging, insufficient current to charge the BlackBerry® PlayBook."

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Wifi only

Re: OS 2.1.0.1032 is here

Chaosdivine thanks for the quick reply! I'll try this out on Wed when I'm near my laptop and hopefully get it working again unless you know of a way to back this up to a cloud somewhere so I can try it now! :-) I know I can upload my docs and pictures to box.com. Email is on a server.. Bookmarks, im not worried about. App world has by paid for Apps. Any hints to what else needs backed up besides loosing my specific App settings? If there a directory tree on the Playbook I could mirror to a cloud that would save most of my personel data? Only asking as I have time now and would love to have this working for tomorrow.
Solutions: 6,170
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: New OS 2.1.0.1032 is available

Mrneon, there is nothing about the .1032 OS which keeps it from charging via USB. I don't understand what you're asking about there.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Forums Advisor I
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314), Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746), Z10 (OS 10.3.1.1581)

[ Edited ]

madhatterpa wrote:
Chaosdivine thanks for the quick reply! I'll try this out on Wed when I'm near my laptop and hopefully get it working again unless you know of a way to back this up to a cloud somewhere so I can try it now! :-) I know I can upload my docs and pictures to box.com. Email is on a server.. Bookmarks, im not worried about. App world has by paid for Apps. Any hints to what else needs backed up besides loosing my specific App settings? If there a directory tree on the Playbook I could mirror to a cloud that would save most of my personel data? Only asking as I have time now and would love to have this working for tomorrow.

I would wait until you get full computer access before backing up myself. Spend sometime now researching things though and doing a dry run so you're comfortable doing things yourself. Remember, do not do a security wipe, do the full from the desktop wipe. Video tutorials on YouTube are often incorrectly named and refer to security wipes which does not restore the OS but just wipes the files on the device.

Basically, you need to backup your Media folder from a PC.

1) Enable Wi-Fi

2) Click Gear Icon in top left of screen.

3) Scroll down to Storage & Security

4) Enable the File Sharing slider - it will prompt you for a password. If you have setup a password to access your device use that PW. If you have not setup a password, I believe the default one is playbook - don't quote me on that though.

5) You can backup a PB via Wi-FI without having to plug it into a computer via USB port by turning on the Wi-Fi Sharing slider directly below the file sharing slider. Using a USB cable to connect is much faster than Wi-Fi though to backup lots of files/media.

6) On a Windows 7 PC, go under Windows Explorer (You could use My Computer too I think) and scroll down to the Network section in the file tree. You will have to wait about 3-5 minutes before Windows makes a connection to the PlayBook. It is not instant. As long as Wi-Fi is on, things will work...Refresh the screen on the PC by pressing F5 to refresh the connections. Eventually your PlayBook name will be visible.

7) Backup the entire MEDIA folder. This folder contains everything you've put on the PlayBook (files, docs, pictures, music, videos etc...)

Also, you could follow this tutorial to have an OS backup done too though I have heard that there may be some problems restoring them http://helpblog.blackberry.com/2012/05/playbook-backup/

I would also backup your contacts to a 3rd party email solution like Hotmail, Yahoo or Gmail. That way you can sync them back afterwards.

One more thing, have your Blackberry ID username/password too for you will need this once a restore is done to initialize things once more and tie the PB into App World so you can redownload the apps you bought.

Do not shut it off even if it appears to stop. Also have your wall charger with you plugged in and charging the entire time.

It's not hard to do but it will take an hour to complete. Good luck to you!

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Wifi only

Again thanks for the quick reply and guidance! I'll take your recomendation and wait till I have my PC available! It's already been close to two weeks, what's a few days more.. Thks!!
Forums Advisor I

madhatterpa wrote:
Again thanks for the quick reply and guidance! I'll take your recomendation and wait till I have my PC available! It's already been close to two weeks, what's a few days more.. Thks!!

No problem, good luck to you. Remember you have 90 days free technical support so you could call into technical support to get interactive help if you get stuck and since you're well under that, you have recourse incase you were unlucky enough to have a defective unit. Personally, I'd try doing the restore myself to get familiar with the process.

Worst case is that you have to call tech support and get an RMA number to return it for warranty service. Their RMA/repair/warranty process is fast and efficient and you'll be using your new PB quickly. In Canada, I have heard people get theirs in 5 days or less. 

Regular Contributor
My Device: BB 8520 & BB Torch 9810 & BB 9900 & PB 32GB & BB HS-655+ & BB HS-700 & BB Z10

No worries and dont worry about any of my banter as im just looney because nobody can give me or any one else the information we need that everybody seems to be telling me that the Playbook apparently has never been able to charge over USB? Erm it has hence why so many are moaning about not having the function since 1032 update also that all the answers are coming from reverted replies from other threads and not an actual response from RIM's doing also feeds my doubts! Pc's can and have done USB Charging for Playbook via USB 2.0 at least since i have had a Playbook hence why its a 5v Unit and not 6v ,9v or 12v for USB HS3 up until now 1032 and now a lot of users including myself are faced with a NO Charging USB function at all? Yes we have 12v Rapid Charging but thats a whole different kettle of fish being its a dedicated charger socket not a Charger/Data Socket and costs an extra £30-£40 when USB was more than fine so now being pushed into buying PB 12v Rapid. This cannot be answered direct as all resposes are coming from old threads or new threads regarding the new 1032 update but yet no one can validate that RIM actually Blocked or changed this USB Charge funtion so why are most of you backing up RIM saying this is not the case when clearly it is when all other forms of USB Cable Charging functions are working to there full potential apart from PC USB to Blackberry Playbook Since OS 2.1.0.1032???? Also that all other electrical items are charging or working fine as always! If the Playbook is needing and Voltage of near 6v being 5v 1000mA at most then why is it not made at 6v? Because its made at 5v so any form of 5v Fuel is fine not not a trickle feed as pointed out because before the 1032 update my Playbook would charge within under 2 hours from USB Via PC from say under half charge so even at a full empty battery it would only be say 4.5 hours and not the 8+ hoursa as meantioned, never has my PB taken 8+ Hours to charge as i would have got rid a long time ago if it took that long lol.

Anyways thats my rant over and thanks for all your time and help and dont worry about replies as its going to be the same oxygenating waste of Forum space again and not getting anywere as normal.

Ah the good old iPad
Regular Contributor
My Device: BB 8520 & BB Torch 9810 & BB 9900 & PB 32GB & BB HS-655+ & BB HS-700 & BB Z10

Re: New OS 2.1.0.1032 is available[ New ]
Mrneon, there is nothing about the .1032 OS which keeps it from charging via USB. I don't understand what you're asking about there.

So thats why so many are moaning about now not having that function? No USB Charging Ability! Show me as i have requested the information that provides no stopping USB charging to PB???

Ah the good old iPad
Contributor
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: china mobile

hi.i bought a playbook and it waste 1week and i cant acti...

hi.i bought a playbook and it waste 1week and i cant activat it,i dont know what the hell is going on...i connect to wifi,select region and country,set time\date,choose my country but it says:unable to display the blackberry ID agreement.please select your country and language,then try again!! what shall i do?!of course i updated my device to 2.1 with bb desktop.i did everything but it dosent work.....

Contributor
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: china mobile

Re: hi.i bought a playbook and it waste 1week and i cant acti...

and another problam is that i cant update my device now.in final step that want to load system software an arre apear: an arror has accured while updating your device software...oh my goooood...what should i do?!!!!!!!!!