Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Regular Contributor
sdemian
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Mobily SA

Re: New OS 2.1.0.1032 is available

It is little bit strange.. Did you buy the tablet from different country or over the internet?!! .. Can you try to select any other country rather than your current one? Also, do you've already a Blackberryid ? You may also try your procedure with another wifi connection ..
Shady E.
Egypt | Saudi Arabia
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
TroyTempest
My Device: Playbook 32
My Carrier: 3

Re: OS 2.1.0.1032 is here

[ Edited ]

mrneon8 wrote:

Re: New OS 2.1.0.1032 is available[ New ]
Mrneon, there is nothing about the .1032 OS which keeps it from charging via USB. I don't understand what you're asking about there.

So thats why so many are moaning about now not having that function? No USB Charging Ability! Show me as i have requested the information that provides no stopping USB charging to PB???

Total misunderstanding.  

In OS 1.x and 2.0 the USB from a typical Windoze PC did not have enough power to charge a Playbook whilst the playbook is running. By international agreement USB has a maximum current of 500 milliamps. A running playbook needs slightly more and a playbook in standby with no wifi needs slightly less to charge the battery.

2.1 is no different, 500mA is not enough. period.   But...

In the older OSs you had no idea that there was a net loss of charge and it blindly drained away.

In 2.1 you get a warning. They took nothing away, they just remind you of what they already told you in the small print. Same as Apple warn you that an ipod cannot classic be charged from USB. But they can do no wrong, they are Apple. 

There is some truth in the old adage that what you don't know cannot hurt you. Maybe RIM should have left you in ignorance and there would be less complaints. 

Extract from 2.0 manual

CAUTION: Charge your BlackBerry PlayBook using the BlackBerry Premium Charger provided by RIM in the box that your tablet came in. Other charging cords may not provide adequate power and may damage your tablet. Also, you cannot charge your tablet using a USB cord connected to a computer. 

________
Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,825
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: hi.i bought a playbook and it waste 1week and i cant acti...

sina_ahmari wrote:
and another problam is that i cant update my device now.in final step that want to load system software an arre apear: an arror has accured while updating your device software...oh my goooood...what should i do?!!!!!!!!!

Try connecting to a different WiFi router, like at a MdConalds or Startbucks, a free hotspot somewhere locally. Then perform the upgrade.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Roonster111
My Device: Playbook 32gb & Z30
My Carrier: Vodafone

I would concur with JSanders entirely.

Right at the begining of this thread I posted that I was having a nightmare with upgrading both my own and my wife's PB's for the same error during download.

After a significant struggle I managed to sort my own (that's chivalry for you) but gave up with the wife's.  This weekend visited my parents and hijacked their wifi and guess what - the most straightforward upgrade known to mankind.  ISP's are definitely not all the same......

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,825
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Roonster, thank you.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
BB4matt
My Device: Z30, Torch 9800, Playbook
My Carrier: Telus

This message is a reply for mrneon8 (message 108).

My PB initial test conditions: PB running 2.1.0.1032 , PB Bluetooth: off, PB WiFi: off, PB was registered as Drive Z:

My PC USB port was charging the PB with 170mA at 4.8 VDC at about 1% every 20 minutes.
My BB phone charger was holding the PB charge with 150 mA at 4.7 VDC.
My BB car charger (aux. Port) was charging the PB with 190mA at 4.8V at about 1% every 20 minutes.
My Li-standby battery was not able to charge my PB at 5.8 VDC in stand by.
My returned car charger was not able to charge my PB at 5.2 VDC in standby even so the label said: 5 VDC, 2.1 A.

So what did I learn?
It is not sufficient to have enough power to charge the PB unless the power source also ‘looks’ like a USB port. The phone charger ‘looks’ like a USB port. Your solar energy source with 5 V, 1 A will have to fake a USB environment first to be useful.

Why does your PC not charge your PB running 2.1.0.1032 anymore? This might be due to higher internal usage which lifted it outside your PC’s USB regulator’s ability but not due to any kind of blockage by the OS. It could be that your PC's USB cannot  supply at leat 170mA at 4.8V.

I suspect that BB10 will even need more threshold power than 150 mA. Let's go forward and work with these new requirements. Nobody complains to Apple that the iPad does not charge via a PC.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
turnermike53
My Device: Playbook 16gb
My Carrier: Bell

I'm having some bad stability problems since try to upgrade to 1032.

1. Upgrade says it has completed the install, shows the "ok" button then freezes. Then next day gives me an update available notice and we go through the whole process again. On my 4th round of this today.
  2. System locks or freezes regularly, sometimes on simple tasks like filling a form field or scrolling the screen
  3. Disconnects wifi regularly, then says no networks are available (my linux netbook is connected to the same network w no problem ). When i restart it says the wifi is disabled
  4. Disconnects bridghe regularly, have to restart to connect to my 9800

Anyway, generally totally unstable and has locked on me during critical presetations..first software issue Ive ever had w my blackberries

Probably best that i wipe evrything and start fresh? How do i do that anyway..windows i'm an expert on fixing just out of necessity..blackberry i have no clue

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
chaosdivine
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314) and Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746)

I posted this in another thread and asked the Mods to make it sticky but it never happened. Too bad, the same questions keep popping up over and over and the thread answers a lot of questions...

Anyhow here's an excerpt that's important:

Unable to charge battery with connected source

This message is displayed because the voltage provided is insufficient for charging. The USB voltage is limited to 384mA even if the maximum tolerance is 500mA. The voltage is limited to 384mA by design to avoid violating the USB specification which states USB devices cannot draw more than 500mA from the USB port.

The whole thread in case you're interested: http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-PlayBook/Forum-Mods-Please-make-this-a-sticky-Blac...

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Roonster111
My Device: Playbook 32gb & Z30
My Carrier: Vodafone

Reply to turnermike

If you take a look at message 37 you will see a the instructions that I successfully used to "debrick" my Playbook.  

Good luck

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
turnermike53
My Device: Playbook 16gb
My Carrier: Bell

Thanks Roonster. I'll have a go at this today.thanks for the quick reply

Please use plain text.