Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: Rogers

New Playbook

I have just gotten my new PB out of the box and am stuck at the 'software update' portion of the setup.  After many agonizing minutes, it gives me an error message that there was a problem installing the updates and gives me two options, try later, or retry.  I'm on my 5th retry no to avail.  According to spec, this step cannot be skipped and I cannot use this device until I get this resolved.  Help!

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: 3

Re: New Playbook

Have you got it connected to the power cable?  It needs to have a reasonable amount of power to run the initial setup pages.

New Contributor

yes, i have had it plugged in for about 8 hours now... do you think it needs more power?

New Contributor

After 8 hours, I would imagine it would be fully charged by now.  If you had access to the system itself and the Playbook was booted up, I would suggest a security wipe, but I'm not sure how to do that from where you are.  I only got my Playbook on Tuesday myself, so I'm still learning the ropes.

New Contributor

Thanks, I'm at my wits end-the device is for my daughter.  no matter what I do, I cant get past this stage in the setup.  Its basically a paperweight until I get past this. 

New Contributor

At the risk of stating the obvious, I assume that you connected the Playbook to your home wi-fi, as the updates need wi-fi to install?

New Contributor

I've just had a thought about this.  Have you tried to download and install the update via the destop manager?  There is a link to the software below, if you don't have it already:

http://uk.blackberry.com/services/desktop/

Download and install the above software, if you haven't done so already, connect your Playbook and it should automatically check for updates and install them.  If not, click on the device icon on the left and select updates.  It should find the updates and download/install them on to the Playbook for you.

New Contributor

I already have bb desktop installed, from managing my BB device.  Is there another manager, or only that one?

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

That is the only desktop manager, yes.  I sent you the link just in case you didn't have it.  Connect your Playbook to your computer and open the desktop manager.  The desktop manager will find and recognise the Playbook and offer the update for downloading.  Simply agree to the download and the desktop manager will do it all for you; you can just leave it to run.

If you haven't connected the Playbook to the computer previously, it will install the Blackberry device manager, which is a different software.  So you should end up with the device manager and the desktop manager by the time the process is complete.

New Contributor

After two hours last night, I resolved this issue.  I had to do a factory reset on the device-found the instructions on Crackberry.com.  it led me to do the set up all over again and it booted up no problem.   Thanks so much for your suggestions!