Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Trusted Contributor
dc-it
My Device: PlayBook 16GB + Samsung Galaxy Note

New WiFi Ext Hard Drive for Tablets + PB

I came across this WiFi External Hard Drive that can stream data (Movies/Music/Files) to the PlayBook:.

This works with the PlayBook as mentioned at another PB Forum.

Your media library, as mobile as your tablet or smartphone

The GoFlex Satellite device goes wherever your iPad or Android tablet goes and lets you wirelessly access all your movies, photos, music and documents. No more worrying about running out of space on your mobile device.

• 500GB of storage capacity
  • Up to 5 hours battery life2
  • Up to 25 hours standby time2

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/products/external/external-hard-drive/goflex-satellite

DC-IT
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: New WiFi Ext Hard Drive for Tablets + PB

yep i know a friend that has one. sad that their website does not show playbook as a tablet to use with it. nice way to have a 500 gig tablet.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Trusted Contributor
dc-it
My Device: PlayBook 16GB + Samsung Galaxy Note

The fact that it's battery powered makes it very useful and it's WiFi hot spot acts like a router for any laptop, tablet as well as the PB to connect to it to access the files stored on it.
DC-IT
Contributor
RESupplyCo
My Device: playbook

this may seem like an obvious question, but does this external hard drive transmit data through wifi but does not incur any data charges.

if so I know what I want for Christmas!

New Contributor
Ryleighsdad
My Device: Playbook 16gb

Seagate currently has the 500gb, when I talked with them 2wks ago the gentleman on the phone had a testing 1TB, Seagate was hoping to roll it out in the next 2-3months,

as for videos...unfortunalty i found it will only play mp4 videos in conjuction with the playbook

Super Contributor
TroyTempest
My Device: Playbook 32

RESupplyCo wrote:

this may seem like an obvious question, but does this external hard drive transmit data through wifi but does not incur any data charges.

Correct. Only data going from the router to the ISP incur charges.  Data between devices on the same wifi network do not.

If some activity between network devices causes data to be pulled from the internet then it might, like maybe running an interactive  game stored on the external HD, but that would be unusual. 

________
Contributor
RESupplyCo
My Device: playbook

Thanks rock star
Regular Contributor
hvacdon
My Device: 1. Playbook 32G OS 2.1.0.1314 clean load for work 2. Playbook 32G OS 2.1.0.1314 with sideloaded apps and games 3. Z10

The Seagate GoFlex Satellite is not so new anymore, but I just purchased one after some procrastination.  It has however provided more flexibility than I thought....it can upload files using the pb browser from the pb to the Flex.   A few limitations, such as, you can only upload one file at a time.  This will be annoying to folks that want to upload a photo album.

I was having difficulty opening documents such as .doc and .pdf files.  I discovered that it works when a password is assigned to the GoFlex....seems to conflict with the hotspot login screen.  Alternatively, I was able to make it work by opening a second browser screen.  It needs to save the file before it will automatically start the pb native doc or pdf reader.

Various video file types such as avi, m4v, wmv, mp4 play for me with excellent quality.

I also downloaded the android app for my Samsung Tablet 10.1.  The app provides a bit more functionality but more limited in the video files it will play.

So at the moment, this is the best alternative to a usb storage device on a pb.  The Flex is perhaps redundant for my Samsung tablet, because there is a usb adapter for it....I believe it is the only tablet with usb storage functionality.  I have the adapter and it works well.

Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

does it make any noise ? I mean, do you hear a fan or the plates revolve?

I am used to complete silence. I have phones, a PlayBook, and a MacMini that makes absolutely no noise. I have to touch it to know if it is on.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Regular Contributor
hvacdon
My Device: 1. Playbook 32G OS 2.1.0.1314 clean load for work 2. Playbook 32G OS 2.1.0.1314 with sideloaded apps and games 3. Z10

Xandrex wrote:
does it make any noise ? I mean, do you hear a fan or the plates revolve?

I am used to complete silence. I have phones, a PlayBook, and a MacMini that makes absolutely no noise. I have to touch it to know if it is on.

No fan.  No noise.   The hard drive is very very quiet and plate revolution in not noticable.  It should meet your expectations for silence.