Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: self

Numerous issues with Playbook -outlook synch, mail subfolder, set yahoo acct, tranfer files

HI,

I am quite disappointed with the playbook and its abilities.  As a business tool I have been looking for something small that can do the work.  What I found is a tablet with very limited functionality for daily business operations.

Here are some of the issues that I am having (I did not have time to look at many of the "features" yet).  Some may have already been addressed in this forum.

1. Synch to outlook - I have been looking for ways to synch with outlook (contact,calendar, notes, etc.).  I did not find a solution other than "synch with Google" first.  I am willing to possibly do it once (even though I quite hesitant due to the release of private client information to Google).  However, this seems useless if I have to do it all the time.  Is there a solution?  Does anyone know if RIM will fix it?

2. Yahoo accounts - I have been trying to view my yahoo accounts.  I have several accounts that I use for personal and for business.  I was able to set one miraculously after spending several house to do so.  However, I was not able to set my other yahoo accounts. Is there an easy way of doing so?  I want to mention that I use @yahoo.ca and not @yahoo.com.

3. Viewing mail folders: I have several email addresses some are imap.  I cannot view any of the subfolders in any of my accounts (yahoo, imap),  Is there a solution for this?

4. I tried to transfer large files (200-900MB) to the playbook using the desktop manager without success.  Every time the application just stops in the middle of the transfer.  Is there a fix or work around?

Any help will be appreciated. 

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9800; Blackberry PlayBook
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Numerous issues with Playbook -outlook synch, mail subfolder, set yahoo acct, tranfer files

1. Synch to outlook - I have been looking for ways to synch with outlook (contact,calendar, notes, etc.).  I did not find a solution other than "synch with Google" first.  I am willing to possibly do it once (even though I quite hesitant due to the release of private client information to Google).  However, this seems useless if I have to do it all the time.  Is there a solution?  Does anyone know if RIM will fix it?

Are you only using Outlook desktop, or do you have an actual Exchange server that your Outlook connects to? The future direction of the Playbook is towards the cloud, which means having some data source which has all of this information already.

2. Yahoo accounts - I have been trying to view my yahoo accounts.  I have several accounts that I use for personal and for business.  I was able to set one miraculously after spending several house to do so.  However, I was not able to set my other yahoo accounts. Is there an easy way of doing so?  I want to mention that I use @yahoo.ca and not @yahoo.com.

What steps have you already taken? When you go to add the account, are you using basic settings, or are you clicking on the Advanced Settingsbutton? If using the advanced settings, are you using IMAP? POP? ActiveSync?

3. Viewing mail folders: I have several email addresses some are imap.  I cannot view any of the subfolders in any of my accounts (yahoo, imap),  Is there a solution for this?

This is a known issue, and I believe it is because the PlayBook assumes the IMAP root folder. Apple's Mail.App has the same issue and you have to manually set the IMAP root folder; I haven't found such a setting in the PlayBook though. Smiley Sad

4. I tried to transfer large files (200-900MB) to the playbook using the desktop manager without success.  Every time the application just stops in the middle of the transfer.  Is there a fix or work around?

Have you tried transferring over wireless? I've personally transfered several 500MB movies to my PlayBook over wireless without issue. See if you can do that first, and if you can it will narrow the issue down to a direct connection. If you want to try the cabled method, have you tried dragging & dropping the files to the drive that is associated with the PlayBook (e.g,. Z: drive)?

New Contributor
My Device: Pearl 8120
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Numerous issues with Playbook -outlook synch, mail subfolder, set yahoo acct, tranfer files

I think I figured out the reason why the Yahoo addresses and contacts did not sync. I believe it may be a character issue in your password. I went on the following website and noted the following detail:

http://help.yahoo.com/l/ca/rogers/newcontacts/sync/contactsbasics-11.html

Note: Some characters in the password may not work (such as ‘#’ and ‘ ‘) when setting up CardDAV. Depending on what version of the software you are using this may or may not be the case.

Please let me know if this works for you.