Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Regular Contributor
fatzDomingo
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: O2
Accepted Solution

O2 Router v5 (Technicolor) problems revealed!

Couldn't connect my PlayBook to any computer on my network using Wi-Fi sharing, but COULD connect to the outside world ok.

So, wandered up to my mates house and it connected with his, obvious suspect the ROUTER!

It appears that ping etc cannot trace or connect to the playbook. In fact on the wireless segment, no wireless device can see any other wireless device! Don't know yet if its a flakey router, failed upgrade of the router firmware, or by design and therefore an oops!

Got O2 second line tech looking into it, will post results when informed.

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: O2 Router v5 (Technicolor) problems revealed!

Some Routers have a differnet IP range for wifi or teh router keeps wifi traffic separate, this can cause the playbook not to connect.

some get around this by turning off wifi on the playbook, it does not work for everyone though.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
fatzDomingo

Nope! The whole intention is to connect from my laptop/desktop via wifi sharing. By some quirk, the router seems to handle all wireless devices in isolation from each other - neat, but a bit of overkill in my opinion.

I have checked, a laptop running wirelessly cannot see another laptop using wifi on the same segment but all wired comps can see each other without any problem.

Please use plain text.
Developer
cas118
My Device: Z30 / PlayBook 64GB
My Carrier: Virgin Mobile UK

It sounds like you've got an option on the router called "AP Isolation" enabled.

You've actually used the words - there must be a setting there somewhere!

Wired computers would connect normally as they are not 'access points' in the wireless sense.

Follow me on Twitter1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
TOF
My Device: Torch 9800, Playbook 64
My Carrier: AT&T

If you have a Netgear router some have a radio button to run the "Isolate" the Wifi connection from other computers on the network.  I'd suggest looking at your settings on your router to see if such is the case.

And BTW, Good Luck!

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
fatzDomingo

[ Edited ]

Nope.....this is a cut down router with most of the API crippled to suit O2. As a consequence you are stuck with what they give you....and in this case its not a lot!

I took my laptop up to my mates house. Connected it to his network, and found the PlayBook without any difficulty! ERGO...... my router from O2 is PREVENTING me from attaching at home.

Over to you...O2!

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
Lost_at_Sea
My Device: PlayBook 64 GB & Torch 9860
My Carrier: Cogeco

How old is your router? Have you tried to upgrade the router firmware? If your router is more than 3 years old, look at replacing it. The newer ones are cheaper and faster.
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
fatzDomingo

The Router is less than 3 months old!

Please use plain text.
banfw001
My Device: Curve 9300
My Carrier: 3

Hello,

I had exactly the same problem as you are experiencing. I managed to solve it by process of eliminitation. You need to login to your router and change some settings.

Go into your wireless access point settings and click configure and set the settings as followed:

Interface enabled: True

Power Reduction Enabled: False

Network Name (SSID): (leave as is or set your own)

Channel Selection: Manual

Channel: 10

Allow multicast from Broadband Network: False

Boradcast Network Name: Tru

Allow New Devices: New stations are allowed (automatically)

Encrytion: Use WEP Encryption (This was the main cause of the problem. Some devices don't like some encryption types)

WEP Key Length: 64 bit

Hope this helps, get in contact with me if you still don't solve your problem!

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

WEP is not secure enough today and my new router wont even support it.

Look at my tips on wifi
Speed-up-BlackBerry-Wi-Fi-connections-a-knottyrope-tip

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.