Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
dgaleone
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: at&t

OS 2.1.0.1088 - Activesync password complexity policy settings are not working

Ever since I upgraded the OS on a playbook I am testing, the settings for activesync polices I am pulling from our exchage server are wrong. I can sync to the server, it asks me to set up Balance, but when I put in a password it tells me it needs 1 capital, 1 character and 1 number. This is not true. The activesync policy settings are set to 4 character, with no complexity at all. No caps, characters or numbers required.

I am the Exchange admin and I have tested this on 2 different exchange environments with the same effect. The device has been wiped and I get the same result when I attempt to connect with a new profile. This worked correctly with os 2.0.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z10 10.1.0.2312 / Playbook 2.1 / 8900 5.0
My Carrier: Vodafone France (SFR) & B&You

Re: OS 2.1.0.1088 - Activesync password complexity policy settings are not working

I haven't.
And I am not sure I understand your issue correctly.

My understanding is that your activesync policy password does not match the requirements for the password in Balance.

I thus suggest you to change the password to contain at least 1 capital, 1 non capital, and 1 number.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
dgaleone

Re: OS 2.1.0.1088 - Activesync password complexity policy settings are not working

The issue is the balance password requirements should come from the ActiveSync password requirements. Balance does not appear as an option until you connect the Playbook to an Exchange server, and those password requirements are driven by the ActiveSync policy. This worked correctly in OS 2.0, but appears not to inherit the correct parameters in OS 2.1.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex

have you tried my suggestion?

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
dgaleone

Yes, it accepts the password if I use the Playbook's arbitrary complexity requirements. My point is that as the Exchange administrator I have been tasked to dictate the complexity requirements as mandated by the organization's security policies.  Individual devices are not supposed to be generating those requirements.

As I stated above, this worked previously in OS 2.0.

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

are you using Fusion?

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
DaveSam
My Device: None right now
My Carrier: Verizon

The point the OP is tryng to make is that Exchange pushes the password requirements to all device (iPhone, BB, etc.) and it was working...now it's not.  Has anyone else seen this issue and reported it or should she open a case with BB.

---------------------

Davesam

Is it plugged in? Did you try my suggestion yet? No, how about now?

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
dgaleone

No, not using Fusion, this is just straight Activesync being controlled by Exchange Activesync policies.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex

I understand perfectly your point, and cannot help you. Do you wish to have this entire discussion moved to the BES board by a moderator ?

My point of view is that the individual device is not generating a requirement, but enforcing a harder rule than the one you have chosen. Think of it as a car that would refuse to start if you have not fastened your seatbelt.

And from my layman point of view, I find it good to have a password that contains one cap, one non cap, and one number. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
dgaleone

Thanks for clarifying. No, I am not allowed to define the password complexity requirements. Those are decided upon by the powers that be - I just need to implement the requirements as they are given to me. Users who are concerned about security are free to choose more complex passwords if they like. 

If this discussion can be moved to the BES board I would appreciate it. I did not know where to file this discussion in the Business Support forums because I am not using a BES or Fusion for this particular device. Indeed, the entire point of testing native Activesync was to see if we could move away from BES once Blackberry 10 devices are released.

Please use plain text.