Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: n/a

Re: OS 2.1 Upgrade Lost Contacts And Calendar Entries

Well, quite. But is there any real doubt that they "realised it"? It is realy not conceivable that they could design software which erases your entire calendar and contacts database without knowing about it. But evidently they decided to just push it out regardless, without any warning or option to backup first and restore afterwards (a trivial operation, which the update should, of course, have done itself). A surprising act indeed for a company which likes to promote itself as the professional customer-centric one.
And yes, very very frustrating. I am in no rush to sit down again for the 2 or 3 hours it took to enter my contacts. I bought my playbook to make my life easier and more convenient. - The very reasons, I'm sure, that RIM would hope I bought it for. Why, then, do they treat their customers like this?

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.1.2582; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

I find it a bit of a stretch to believe that they knew of this problem and released the update anyway.  You can speculate on lack of internal testing, poor beta programs, or anything else internally that you can think of but I'm certain that releasing it knowing that users PIM data would be lost is not something they would do on purpose just to get a release out. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Forums Veteran I
My Device: Two PB's

[ Edited ]

It is quite obvious that Blackberry intended the calendar and contacts apps to work with email and social media ACCOUNTS.  If you look at the manual it says this...

"The Contacts app is a built-in mobile and social-centric contact app that enables you to synchronize contacts from many sources, such as Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn. You can view status updates for your contacts, get updated news feeds about a contact's company, and quickly see the people, places, and events that you have in common with a contact. ...."

If you watch the video the manual then recommends, the first thing they do is ADD AN ACCOUNT.  The link to the video even has the suffix "chapteraddaccount"  

http://demos.blackberry.com/playbook-os20/na/us/gen/?=chapteraddaccount

I don't believe they ever intended these apps to be standalone. Maybe they should have made it more clear, but it never struck me as sensible to go typing in stuff for hours when it's all in my Hotmail account.

My Device: playbook
My Carrier: n/a

I can quite see where you are coming from, John (and thanks for the reply).
But this is a clean and total erase of calendar and contacts data, we're talking about, whilst (unless someone knows otherwise) the databases themselves are perfectly fine. That suggests that the databases have been restructured in a way that is incompatible with previous contents, which in turn, probably required either that the previous contents were deleted to allow the restructuring or, more likely, that the previous databases were simply overwritten with new empty files. Either way, whoever programmed that part of the update knew they were doing it.
Accidental corruption seems unlikely, as there seem to be no knock-on effects, and interference during update would affect a small minority of users.
It is possible, I grant you, someone forgot to export and import the data when replacing the database. But preserving users data is a pretty basic requirement which, as you suggest, should have been picked up before they erased such important data from so many of the users who trusted them. I don't feel so inclined to forgive as you are. An apology might help, but it's nothing like as effective as doing the job properly in the first place.

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.1.2582; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

I couldn't agree more. We don't know why at this point. Its all speculation until we get something official from RIM. The only reason I'm not as upset as some is that I don't use the calendar on my PB and didn't lose any data. I will update threads that I have posted in as soon as I have any new info about the issue.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Contributor
My Device: Z30 STA100-5, Playbook with 2.1
My Carrier: Rogers

For what it's worth,my PIM folder is now empty. The date of modification for Events folder is 2012-10-03 @ 0823, which is when I believe the 2.1 update occured. However the date of modification for the Contact and Messages folder is two days later on 2012-10-05.

New Contributor
My Device: BB Playbook
My Carrier: Sprint

Thanks Synaptic for the suggestion. I changed the default view from weekly to monthly and everything returned ~ appt's, synced Gmail calendar's, etc. I can work with this until RIM issues a "fix."  After ventilating some steam, my wife calmly reminded me that even the IPhone 5 was released with a corrupted maps app.  Although not as critical as losing a calendar or contacts list, I have to remind myself there is nothing perfect in this world and as complicated as these programs are I guess I should be thankful they work as well as they do.

Guru II

For what it's worth I have tried switching the default views and it hasn't brought back any appointments in the calendar (I only had one appointment.)

I do see the problem some have mentioned about the monthly view being blank--no gridlines, no dates, just white space. Setting the default view back to monthly, closing the calendar, and reopening it brings it back.
New Contributor
My Device: PlayBook 64GB 2.1.0.1032
My Carrier: Swisscom

I did not say that changing default view brings back local entries. This «workaround» just sorts the issue of blank/unworking views. My local entries did not come back. If this happens to some users, even better. 

@John: Concerning the testing/release discussion: Mistakes happen, ok. But in such cases, an official statement from the supplier side would be clever. It is always better for companies to proactively communicate rather than letting it to be done by now unhappy customers. Maybe I've overseen this statement and how and when they provide a solution?

Highlighted
Guru II

Nothing that I'm aware of.