Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
puggy3131
My Device: Playbook 16 GB

Re: OS 2.1 Upgrade Lost Contacts And Calendar Entries

[ Edited ]

So same problem here. My wife input all of her calendar and contacts onto the local playbook files. After upgrade everything (contacts and calendar entries) is gone. I tried using a backup file that we made before the upgrade and it did not fix the problem. If the problem is that the databases are different formats from 2.0 to 2.1 then I should have the option to roll back the operating system to 2.0. Research in Motion should make this available to affected users. I think that after rolling it back and using the backup my contacts calendar should appear. Honestly if I can not fix this problem she will never feel comfortable using the Playbook again. The shame is I am also a shareholder that was hoping that the rumors of a dieing company were overstated. This problem does not make me feel any better about my investment.

In response to folk that say the Playbook is made to sync with online accounts and that losing local contacts and calendar is not Research in Motions fault you are misguided. The playbook would not let you save anything locally if it was not meant for this function. If Research in Motion can not fix this problem they will only lose more goodwill, which they can not afford.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
mlb1
My Device: Playbook

[ Edited ]

Totally agree with the above.  If local contacts/cals are a feature, then it's a pretty massive failure to have them wiped and unrestorable from any type of local backup.

Also many people dont like using cloud services to store all their friend's private details, or details of everywhere they've been & will be.  Those services are all run by commercial companies who don't necessarily have your privacy as their main concern. The accounts are potentially exposed to the entire www, protected by just a password - a very insecure method of protecting data.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Hussard
My Device: Playbook 16 gig

Agree with all of the above.

I have a Playbook for what Playbook can do.

If it cannot handle email, contact and calendar they should say so!

Now all this discussion regarding email servers, cloud, etc. as nothing to do with the Playbook. If my email are lost because i did not do a backup, shame on me.

If my email is lost by an upgrade from RIM shame on them.

Is there a fix on its way or comment form RIM ?

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Email isn't being lost.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
timboalogo
My Device: Z10 STL100-3, Playbook with 2.1

Actually, for me all email SENT from the Playbook prior to the update is lost. A PIM issue?

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
jarviser
My Device: Two PB's

puggy3131 wrote:

So same problem here. My wife input all of her calendar and contacts onto the local playbook files. After upgrade everything (contacts and calendar entries) is gone. I tried using a backup file that we made before the upgrade and it did not fix the problem. If the problem is that the databases are different formats from 2.0 to 2.1 then I should have the option to roll back the operating system to 2.0. Research in Motion should make this available to affected users. I think that after rolling it back and using the backup my contacts calendar should appear. Honestly if I can not fix this problem she will never feel comfortable using the Playbook again. The shame is I am also a shareholder that was hoping that the rumors of a dieing company were overstated. This problem does not make me feel any better about my investment.

In response to folk that say the Playbook is made to sync with online accounts and that losing local contacts and calendar is not Research in Motions fault you are misguided. The playbook would not let you save anything locally if it was not meant for this function. If Research in Motion can not fix this problem they will only lose more goodwill, which they can not afford.

Not saying they are in any way in the right, but without a solid tested backup it is dangerous to use local storage on any small device. I mean  has anyone ever recovered local cal and contacts before this upgrade? Or was this an accident waiting to happen. 

The playbook backup file cannot be opened to inspect it, no idea what is in there yet people trust it. 

My advice,

Sync email,  contacts and calendar from the web.

Backup data by drag n drop so you can see it.

You don't have to accept or agree with it.

[ Edited ]

timboalogo wrote:

Actually, for me all email SENT from the Playbook prior to the update is lost. A PIM issue?

Cant lose sent mail unless you didn't opt to save sent mail in your email web account. 

My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

PIM = Personal Information Manager

I haven't heard about any issues with email. I wouldn't be surprised if other databases are affected, though. I don't use the PB for integrated email. I just read the BB email while bridged.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
timboalogo
My Device: Z10 STL100-3, Playbook with 2.1

I beg to differ, Jarviser. Email sent from my company account on my Playbook used to be saved. It showed in the inbox view as a check mark. After updating ALL email sent prior to the update no longer appeared, although all mail sent subsequent to the update does appear fine. All RECIEVED email repopulated after the update, perhaps pulling it from the server. Definitely a RIM issue.

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
jarviser

[ Edited ]

timboalogo wrote:

I beg to differ, Jarviser. Email sent from my company account on my Playbook used to be saved. It showed in the inbox view as a check mark. After updating ALL email sent prior to the update no longer appeared, although all mail sent subsequent to the update does appear fine. All RECIEVED email repopulated after the update, perhaps pulling it from the server. Definitely a RIM issue.

Is the sent mail in your company email sent folder?  If it is then it is not lost but simply not synchronised. If it is not in the sent folder in your company email then something in the setup failed to save it. In all emails I have ever used there is an option "save sent mail in sent folder y/n!" if that is set to y and PB syncs properly you can't lose sent mail..

Did you ever go to the company sent folder to check in the previous os?

Playbook mail app is a volatile and temporary copy of your server email. not a store or database. It is not Outlook or Thunderbird, it's a remote access to your server mail. Same applies for cal and contacts.