Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Forums Veteran I
jarviser
My Device: Two PB's

Re: OS 2.1 Upgrade Lost Contacts And Calendar Entries

timboalogo wrote:
Yes, Jarviser, I realise the sync period timeframe and have it adjusted accordingly to 30 days. To reiterate, sent items prior to update are gone and those after are not, and i noticed that immediately after my PB booted following the update.

I could only find one item that old to test and having put it into sent folder in webmail from folders it will not sync. So it appears I owe you an apology.  All I can say in my defence is I dont keep old stuff in sent, it's either filed in a folder or deleted so I would not have noticed. Also the problem will become obsolete in 30 days.

So as far as I can test it you are quite right.  Please accept my apology. 

My Device: playbook
My Carrier: n/a

jarviser wrote:

puggy3131 wrote:

Is it our fault that we used local storage for our contacts and calendar storage? I would expect not to lose it when switching to 2.1. I also expect that a correctly executed backup would actually backup my info. I guess I am naive to think that.

Without testing a backup it must be assumed to be useless. Basic data security rule.

Naive, Perhaps, puggy3131, but you have every justification for being so.
Sadly it is correct to say you can't rely on untested backups. Unfortunately it is also unhelpful, as you have no choice. There is no facility to test your playbook backups. However, no-one really does test all the backups they make. It would be impossible. With sufficient resources one would test that it all works on implementation, and susequently rely on read-verification to trust all subsequent backups to have the same integrity. They may not have.

There is a further reason not to trust a backup. Historically some big OS manufacturers have (astonishingly) seen fit to make their backups incompatible between OS versions. I have no history with RIM, but anecdotal evidence on this forum suggests that it might be the case here too.

The fact is, a backup may be useful as a last resort in a disaster scenario.

A trivial OS upgrade should not be such a disaster scenario.

And those who are happy to proclaim "You'd have been OK if you did what I did." are very fortunate in this case. We don't all do the same things with our machines, but we all had a right to presume our data would be safe during an official upgrade.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Blocko
My Device: Bold 9780
My Carrier: Base

Hello everyone, 

Indeed it does feel very uncomfortable if a backup you rely on appears to be bad... It's like a life jacket that doesn't fit anymore after several years of unexplored service in a case of life threatening drowning when your ship goes down in deep water.

For eight consecutive years now I work daily with my BlackBerry (actually the Bold 9780) and I never ever experienced loss of data whatsoever. I think this explains why I am so sorry this incidents happened to several of you. It seems horrible for anyone to undergo this. 

A few basic rules I always felt required were, in descending order of importance :

A. Regularly schedule your backups and switch media you're writing it to;

B. Always try to make an extra set of a backup on a completely different system once a week;

C. Send your calendar appointments as a standard setting to yourself through Gmail or Outlook (FNA Hotmail) so you always have an automated backup, even if all your backup sets fail;

D. Forward every incoming mail to an extra and preferably external account.

Although I have always trusted the above rules, as an extra security my preferred and crucial tool remained my beloved BlackBerry. And believe me that I have invested a lot of time in looking for a trustworthy alternative but did not yet succeeded in finding it. I tried and tested several Android oriented devices but for serious use one always comes black to BackBerry. It's as simple as that. Just like Shakespeare declared in "Threnos": "Beauty, truth, and rarity, Grace in all simplicity".

Please use plain text.
Contributor
timboalogo
My Device: Z10 STL100-3, Playbook with 2.1
My Carrier: Rogers

Jarvisdr. No apology is needed. As you say, it will become an obsolete problem in at most thirty days from the update. However the developers should be made aware of it, assuming they peruse these forums.
Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
jarviser

[ Edited ]

It is quite possible to test a backup.

Put in 10 contacts

Make a backup.

Delete the contacts.

Try a restore. 

I was never able to restore or even backup app data when I tried, only media data

My Device: Playbook 16 GB
My Carrier: None

Jarviser says 'Without testing a backup it must be assumed to be useless. Basic data security rule.'

Your reasoning is backwards.

Lets say I opened a company to make backup software... Can I say that it doesn't have to work because it is the users fault if they didn't test it ahead of time.

So in summary you are telling me that it is not RIMM's fault that their backup does not work, that it is my fault because I should not have believed that it would work? You make me laugh.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
puggy3131
My Device: Playbook 16 GB
My Carrier: None

How do you test a backup between OS's? I made a backup in 2.0, it worked or so it seemed. I had app data and my contacts and calendar entries did not disappear. I update to 2.1. It removes my local contacts and calendar entries. I reapply the last backup I made that worked and it does not apply correctly to 2.1.

What do you have to say to that? Stop justifying the fact that 2.1 broke many peoples contacts and calendar entries locally stored on the device.

Now the only question is will RIMM address the problem? My guess is no.

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
jarviser

[ Edited ]

I am not justifying or defending anything. The performance by RIM has been appalling. The point is the blackberry playbook backup system is poor, unreliable, often OS dependant, not guaranteed to restore to a replacement device, and the contents of the backup ard hidden in an obscure compressed tarball rather conceitedly called .bbb yet people trust it without testing it. simply warning readers to learn from the experience of others. Armed with that experience would you now recommend to other readers thst they spend hours typing in contacts and cal into local, or would you now in hind sight recommend to sync to a relatively reliable source such as Hotmail?

The remark about backups assumed to me useless until tested stands the test of time and is a basic tenet of any IT scheme and the argument cannot be defeated by analogy to an obscure scenario.

My Device: playbook
My Carrier: n/a

Hoever, puggy3131's point (if I might take the liberty, puggy3131?) is that yes, we know now that the backup facility is, perhaps, useless, but we didn't know before. He bought a complete system aimed at consumers and it is perfectly reasonable to fill it with data before backing up. It makes little sense to back it up if there's nothing useful in it.

As an aside, I totally agree that stuffing backups into any inaccessible format is undesireable. The danger is, though, you could end up hating almost every backup package on the market that way (which I do). But the notion that any acceptable test regime can involve deliberately and irrecoverably destroying the source data is absurd. You should back it up first.

But backups are not the issue. We shouldn't have needed a backup. And just as consumers shouldn't need to perform their own acceptance tests on a backup facility before use, they shouldn't need to (and can't) test the OS upgrade before applying it.
Right now I wouldn't recommend synchronising to hotmail as a solution. After all, it will only preserve a fraction of the data which might be on your machine (I presume?). - Enough to save you this time. Rather, I would recommend not buying RIM.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Hussard
My Device: Playbook 16 gig
My Carrier: none

Effectively, it makes it hard to recommend a Playbook now.

If it is for someone who is non-technical (which Tablets tends to be), and for pleasure only. Would he buy a Playbook, if I say ''be carefull before making any updates as you may lost some of  your stuff'', '' and do not rely on RIM to solve it!  I dont think so.

To a professionnal user, would he buy a playbook if I say '' Its great, but just make sure you backup everything as you well know, and do not rely on their backup tool, because they have been making mistake with their updates'' . That would be a cold shower on his selection process.

Please use plain text.