Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
tlfc
My Device: Playbook 16Gb
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: OS 2.1 Upgrade Lost Contacts And Calendar Entries

It does make it hard to recommend a Playbook, even at fire sale prices, if you can't trust it to maintain information that you rely on.

I encountered yet another problem where I lost all emails after upgrading to 2.1.   I had two IMAP accounts configured and all messages were obliterated by the upgrade.   To reload, I deleted each IMAP account and recreated them which allowed me to sync the last 30 days worth but I liked having the last few months worth of messages on it.

My calendar was also zapped but I sync it to google calendar, so it resynced and all is well.   I never enter local calendar entries (got lucky there).

I have also been unable to connect to my Contacts information at Yahoo using the carddav.address.yahoo.com server address.  It worked fine before in 2.0!    Now I don't have email address info when I compose emails on the Playbook and need to rely on my memory (lol).

I don't use the backup feature, so I can't verify if that happened to me.

Loss of functionality is another reason it's hard for me to recommend one anymore.     RIM better fix these issues quickly before all of their users fall prey to this update.

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
jarviser
My Device: Two PB's

Every time playbook syncs email anything older than 30 or 15 or 7 days, however you set it up, is cleaned off. Don't see how you could have had stuff two months old on there. 

My Device: Playbook 16Gb

Hi,

Thanks but I did have messages older than 3 months, perhaps add the option of 6 months to list items when adding an imap account in the next update.

I could use advice on contact sync since it won't connect to yahoo anymore.   My credentials are correct and I did try recreating the connection.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
seasiders89
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: Orange

Well - here we are 1 week on, and RIM are silent. This is very disappointing. I couldn't ever get backup to function properly, and Playbook refused to recognise my googlemail account for some months - the only reason I had gmail was to back up calendar! I was using the calendar on my blackberry torch, and bridging it but:
1. Hated not being able to view on PB without phone handy and on,
2. Loved the cool features on the PB calendar, and couldn't believe that I couldn't back it up from the bridged one on my Torch -
So only option - use the PB calendar. And Now 'upgrade' loses my stuff. A litany of failures, errors and mistakes that mean when I upgrade my phone in November, I will not be buying Blackberry - what a shame!
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
godot2011
My Device: PlayBook 32GB and PlayBook 16GB
My Carrier: DCI Telecom

seasiders89 wrote:
Well - here we are 1 week on, and RIM are silent. This is very disappointing. I couldn't ever get backup to function properly, and Playbook refused to recognize my googlemail account for some months - the only reason I had gmail was to back up calendar! I was using the calendar on my blackberry torch, and bridging it but:
1. Hated not being able to view on PB without phone handy and on,
2. Loved the cool features on the PB calendar, and couldn't believe that I couldn't back it up from the bridged one on my Torch -
So only option - use the PB calendar. And Now 'upgrade' loses my stuff. A litany of failures, errors and mistakes that mean when I upgrade my phone in November, I will not be buying Blackberry - what a shame!
______________________________________________________________________________________
It is very unusual that the PB can't connect to Google Mail. Can you connect to it with your PC? Check your settings. As for bugs in the release. Rest assured RIM is not the only one.  There is never enough time to check everything before release.  I have a Nokia phone and I am active as a beta tester for them. They have similar problems. I was in this industry and I am glad I retired. This technology train is moving to fast. And for what?  So some folks can watch streamed movies on a mini screen? Actually, did you noticed that some of the latest phones would almost qualify for tablets? 
If you can wait till RIM comes out with their new phone next year. I expect it will have teething problems too and the smallest problem will be blown out of proportion by the media, the investment community, etc. And some of it at least will be possibly fuelled by the competition. Don't kid yourself, this is war! 
In any case keep cool and fix your Google connection first. If you need help there is plenty of knowledge here.  Actually why not ask for help before????? Once done,  it will reduce your pain. 
Cheers
PS - yes I agree. A new OS should never loose customer data. RIM screwed up. But be realistic. Do you really expect a new OS release in a week's time? 
Please use plain text.
Contributor
timboalogo
My Device: Z10 STL100-3, Playbook with 2.1

In response to Jarviser and the email sync, note that for an IMAP account there is no sync interval option...only an initiql message retreival interval option of 7, 14, and 30 days. Once set up it depends what is left on the server as to what the PB displays when opening the messages app. I have my server to keep messages for 30 days, so on my PB, they also disappear after 30 days (my laptop's Outlook is set to always keep a copy for future reference). 

Of course Hotmail, Gmail et al all of the sync timeframe option available on the Playbook, just not POP and IMAP accounts.

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
mikejones2509
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: none

It does make it hard to recommend a Playbook, even at fire sale prices, if you can't trust it to maintain information that you rely on.

I encountered yet another problem where I lost all emails after upgrading to 2.1. I had two IMAP accounts configured and all messages were obliterated by the upgrade. To reload, I deleted each IMAP account and recreated them which allowed me to sync the last 30 days worth but I liked having the last few months worth of messages on it.

My calendar was also zapped but I sync it to google calendar, so it resynced and all is well. I never enter local calendar entries (got lucky there).

I have also been unable to connect to my Contacts information at Yahoo using the carddav.address.yahoo.com server address. It worked fine before in 2.0! Now I don't have email address info when I compose emails on the Playbook and need to rely on my memory (lol).

I don't use the backup feature, so I can't verify if that happened to me.

Loss of functionality is another reason it's hard for me to recommend one anymore. RIM better fix these issues quickly before all of their users fall prey to this update.

=========================

I would sure be angry if I paid 500 bucks for this thing. Even at 200 it makes me cross that after less than a year it is virtually useless with all it's hangups after updates.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
help123456
My Device: curve 3g 9300

My point in my earlier post was not everyone wants a 3rd party account to connect with and for privacy many don't what things like appointments and messages stored on 3rd party servers.  Local data is the only true way it's private.  Any customer data settings, calendar, docs, photos, notes none should be lost on routine os updates. There are people who purchase these devices and want to use them without sharing and restrict info to the device.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: at&t

Just as an update...I can tell you that RIM is taking this seriously and actively investigating the issue affecting the lost Calendar/Contact information. No timeline of a fix or workaround is yet available.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
mlb1
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Orange

[ Edited ]

help123456 wrote:

..not everyone wants a 3rd party account to connect with and for privacy many don't what things like appointments stored on 3rd party servers.  Local data is the only true way it's private There are people who purchase these devices and want to use them without sharing and restrict info to the device.

I'm one of those people   ...but I'm afraid most everyone's opting for convenience over personal privacy these days.  :-/

The reason I lept for the upgrade button was the long awaited full device encryption.  Ironically my local data is now super secure ...completely unretrievable by anyone ;-)

Please use plain text.