Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Forums Veteran I
jarviser
My Device: Two PB's

Re: OS 2.1 Upgrade Lost Contacts And Calendar Entries

timboalogo wrote:

In response to Jarviser and the email sync, note that for an IMAP account there is no sync interval option...only an initiql message retreival interval option of 7, 14, and 30 days. Once set up it depends what is left on the server as to what the PB displays when opening the messages app. I have my server to keep messages for 30 days, so on my PB, they also disappear after 30 days (my laptop's Outlook is set to always keep a copy for future reference). 

Of course Hotmail, Gmail et al all of the sync timeframe option available on the Playbook, just not POP and IMAP accounts.

Pair play.  I don’t use imap, never have. You learn every day. 

What's the betting that the ability to hold months of old emails in imap was a bug that they just fixed!!

My Device: playbook
My Carrier: n/a

John_Clark wrote:
Just as an update...I can tell you that RIM is taking this seriously and actively investigating the issue affecting the lost Calendar/Contact information. No timeline of a fix or workaround is yet available.

Thanks for this.  I'll be rather shocked if there's an actual fix.  But perhaps I can rest easy knowing that they are now taking it seriously enough to disable the update so as not to destroy anyone else's data until they fix it?  (Don't worry, I'm not asking you to verify this, but I'd be interested if anyone knows?)

Please use plain text.
Contributor
mjnk

jarviser wrote:

timboalogo wrote:

In response to Jarviser and the email sync, note that for an IMAP account there is no sync interval option...only an initiql message retreival interval option of 7, 14, and 30 days. Once set up it depends what is left on the server as to what the PB displays when opening the messages app. I have my server to keep messages for 30 days, so on my PB, they also disappear after 30 days (my laptop's Outlook is set to always keep a copy for future reference). 

Of course Hotmail, Gmail et al all of the sync timeframe option available on the Playbook, just not POP and IMAP accounts.

Pair play.  I don’t use imap, never have. You learn every day. 

What's the betting that the ability to hold months of old emails in imap was a bug that they just fixed!!

What?  They fixed a bug? :-)

Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1052; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: at&t

I wouldn't count on the OS being pulled over this but it is definitely being investigated. Again, no idea when a fix might be implemented.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
mjnk

John_Clark wrote:
I wouldn't count on the OS being pulled over this but it is definitely being investigated. Again, no idea when a fix might be implemented.

I do hope you're wrong.  For any business hoping to preserve/rescue a professional image, to leave an update out there in the full knowledge that it will destroy customers' data doesn't really bare thinking about.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
tilburgnb
My Device: Playbook 16GB
My Carrier: Tim Hortons

Frustration #1 Lost Contacts and Calendars on Update 2.1

Frustrration #2 Zilch from RIM on this.

Frustration #3 I own RIM stock.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1052; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Frustration's #1 and #3 I'm with you.

Frustration #2 is not quite true. RIM is indeed investigating and taking it seriously. If you want to say "zilch from RIM for a solution" then I'm with you.

John
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
BurntRenolds
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Telus

This is extremely frustrating...just realised that all my manually entered contacts and calendar info has been erased...

This fix (or lack thereof is a deal breaker for me) will have a bearing on any future BB product purchases.  It will take me at least a day or two to search all my files to retrieve all the data I originally spent entering...I would rather toss it than do it again...I hope there is a fix soon because my calendar events are not waiting patiently for a fix...

This is not a users fault...

Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark

Very frustrating. Nowhere in here does anyone say it's a user's fault. We do talk strongly about making backups. At this point we have to believe that the backup works but the restore doesn't. Making backups, regardless of whether or not this problem ever arose, is still a recommended procedure and you risk data loss when you don't make backups. In this case the backup does no good but that doesn't mean you shouldn't make them.

That said, I'm not sure what is going to happen if you make a backup now. Since the OTA OS upgrade doesn't wipe any data, it only overwrites the OS, we have to assume the calendar data is still on the device but just not retrievable. That begs the question will it be backed up if you make a backup now?

We will have to see what kind of solution RIM finally comes up with. For the sake of everyone negatively affected, I hope it's soon. I'll be honest--historically, these types of fixes are not quick, though.
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
malie1
My Device: Torch 9800, PB 16G
My Carrier: Att

With you at this point the only reason I am hanging on is my BB bridge works great and I need that when I can't connect with my work network. If you could bridge an IPhone and an IPad I would be goone tomorrow
I know RIM is struggling to compete and things like this don't help.
Please use plain text.