Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Regular Contributor
msd1962
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Re: OS 2.1 Upgrade Lost Contacts And Calendar Entries

I guess its common practice to Backup before updating the OS..In fact, in BB service centre they always suggest you to Backup the data as there is a possibility of losing the data on device...So no point in complaining...The Best thing is to sync the calender/contacts from web-based services like Gmail/Hotmail etc...
Trusted Contributor
malie1
My Device: Torch 9800, PB 16G

That would be the right thing to do, however i can backup but for some reason I can't restore no matter how many times I try so backup doesn't work for me 

Regular Contributor
msd1962

Now try sync your webbased calendar/contacts on PB...so you will never have this problem again....
Trusted Contributor
malie1
My Device: Torch 9800, PB 16G

Say again slowly as I am not very smart 

Regular Contributor
msd1962

What I am suggesting is to store your contact and calendar on web based services like Gmail and then sync with PB...so that even in future when you update the OS....you will not lose your data...as it will be available atleast on the Web...which you can again sync with PB....

I hope, I am clear in what I am suggesting.....

Super Contributor
godot2011
My Device: PlayBook 32GB and PlayBook 16GB

That is a useful idea.  However, call me paranoid, but not everyone wants to trust personal info to a cloud server like Google to be used in dubious ways. Second, this is a workaround. It does not absolve RIM from releasing an OS which can not remember and recall user data. 

Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

If you're not going to trust that data to a cloud server of some type then you will need to back it up. If it is that important then it is worth taking the time to backup. If there is a problem with the restore process then that is for another thread and I'm sure we can find you some help.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Regular Contributor
msd1962

In my opinion it's not fair to blame RIM for this as it was always suggested by them thru their service center that there is a possibility of losing the data even when you update the OS even in the case of BlackBerry Device (phone as well as PlayBook)....Although it would be Ideal if the data does not vanish.....

Super Contributor
godot2011
My Device: PlayBook 32GB and PlayBook 16GB

msd1962 wrote:

In my opinion it's not fair to blame RIM for this as it was always suggested by them thru their service center that there is a possibility of losing the data even when you update the OS even in the case of BlackBerry Device (phone as well as PlayBook)....Although it would be Ideal if the data does not vanish.....

I am 'in love' with my PlayBook, just ask my wife. But I also spent 40 some years in the industry. OS backup should  not loose customer data. Particularly if it was backed up. I had a backup made running OS 2.1 beta. When I did a 'Restore' my calendar entries did not restore.  

Regular Contributor
msd1962

I am sure...some one will have a solution for you...