Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Reply
Super Contributor
TroyTempest
Posts: 367
Registered: ‎09-22-2012
My Device: Playbook 32
My Carrier: 3

Re: OS 2.1 Upgrade Lost Contacts And Calendar Entries


mjnk wrote:

TroyTempest, are you still with us?  Well I hope you don't beat yourself up like this every time someone dumps on you, old man.

 

Love to Marina,  And watch out for that ruddy fish!

 


I am doing fine, Marina has fin rot but says blublublub. 

________
Please use plain text.
Contributor
mjnk
Posts: 14
Registered: ‎10-08-2012
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: n/a

Re: OS 2.1 Upgrade Lost Contacts And Calendar Entries


godot2011 wrote:

mjnk wrote:

I'd love to know how it can do that.  If the next update involves replacing a full database with an empty one, there's not much you can do about it with pre-installed code.  Sounds like a 70-odd Mb placebo.


Check my edited post above. Whatever was lost as a result of installing 2.1.0.1083 is lost. However, new entries, added AFTER 2.1.0.1083 was installed will be there after installing 2.1.0.1088. 


So they've managed not to commit the same blunder twice in a row?  That is to be commended indeed.

 

My response, however, relates to the claim that 1088 will prevent the disaster from happening again, which has been stated here and elsewhere.  In fact, that is the only benefit I have heard claimed for 1088 so if it can't do that, as I believe it can't, then I know of no reason to risk installing it.

 

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
godot2011
Posts: 417
Registered: ‎04-30-2011
My Device: PlayBook 32GB and PlayBook 16GB
My Carrier: DCI Telecom

Re: OS 2.1 Upgrade Lost Contacts And Calendar Entries

[ Edited ]

Whatever. 

 

If you want to know more about 1088 check the topic covered on "2.1.0.1088 is available". 

Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark
Posts: 15,634
Registered: ‎04-01-2008
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: at&t

Re: OS 2.1 Upgrade Lost Contacts And Calendar Entries

[ Edited ]

mjnk wrote:

godot2011 wrote:

mjnk wrote:

I'd love to know how it can do that.  If the next update involves replacing a full database with an empty one, there's not much you can do about it with pre-installed code.  Sounds like a 70-odd Mb placebo.


Check my edited post above. Whatever was lost as a result of installing 2.1.0.1083 is lost. However, new entries, added AFTER 2.1.0.1083 was installed will be there after installing 2.1.0.1088. 


So they've managed not to commit the same blunder twice in a row?  That is to be commended indeed.

 

My response, however, relates to the claim that 1088 will prevent the disaster from happening again, which has been stated here and elsewhere.  In fact, that is the only benefit I have heard claimed for 1088 so if it can't do that, as I believe it can't, then I know of no reason to risk installing it.

 


You're making no sense now.  This update solves the problem for future data loss.  Unfortunately, it does not bring back any lost data.  Having been around BlackBerry a very long time (since 2004) this was a VERY speedy update.  They obviously took the issue very seriously and issued a fix as soon as they possibly could.  Hopefully, those who didn't upgrade to 1032 can now update to 1088 and not lose their data.  If you already updated to 1032 and lost data, you shouldn't lose your data again. 

 

I am critical of RIM when they deserve criticism.  However, they pushed this update out very quick in order to solve this problem and I believe they deserve some credit here for that.

 

Why would you think that the update won't fix what everyone is saying it fixed?

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
mjnk
Posts: 14
Registered: ‎10-08-2012
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: n/a

Re: OS 2.1 Upgrade Lost Contacts And Calendar Entries


godot2011 wrote:

Whatever. 

 

If you want to know more about 1088 check the topic covered on "2.1.0.1088 is available". 


Thank you.  I have read and am no clearer.  IMAP processing may be better - or worse.  Canadians can delete a video app.  Little else to go on.

Please use plain text.
New Member
nmbutt
Posts: 7
Registered: ‎10-21-2012
My Device: PB
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: OS 2.1 Upgrade Lost Contacts And Calendar Entries

I have downloaded the new OS update and Yahoo contacts still don't synch. I deleted my whole yahoo id and re-added it and no luck. Has any one been able to synch to Yahoo contacts with the new update?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
mjnk
Posts: 14
Registered: ‎10-08-2012
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: n/a

Re: OS 2.1 Upgrade Lost Contacts And Calendar Entries


John_Clark wrote:

mjnk wrote:

godot2011 wrote:

mjnk wrote:

I'd love to know how it can do that.  If the next update involves replacing a full database with an empty one, there's not much you can do about it with pre-installed code.  Sounds like a 70-odd Mb placebo.


Check my edited post above. Whatever was lost as a result of installing 2.1.0.1083 is lost. However, new entries, added AFTER 2.1.0.1083 was installed will be there after installing 2.1.0.1088. 


So they've managed not to commit the same blunder twice in a row?  That is to be commended indeed.

 

My response, however, relates to the claim that 1088 will prevent the disaster from happening again, which has been stated here and elsewhere.  In fact, that is the only benefit I have heard claimed for 1088 so if it can't do that, as I believe it can't, then I know of no reason to risk installing it.

 


You're making no sense now.  This update solves the problem for future data loss.  Unfortunately, it does not bring back any lost data.  Having been around BlackBerry a very long time (since 2004) this was a VERY speedy update.  They obviously took the issue very seriously and issued a fix as soon as they possibly could.  Hopefully, those who didn't upgrade to 1032 can now update to 1088 and not lose their data.  If you already updated to 1032 and lost data, you shouldn't lose your data again. 

 

I am critical of RIM when they deserve criticism.  However, they pushed this update out very quick in order to solve this problem and I believe they deserve some credit here for that.

 

Why would you think that the update won't fix what everyone is saying it fixed?

 


I don't.

People have applied 1088 and discovered their data is still there.  I have no reason to question that.  Most, though, will have applied it on top of 2.1, and no-one is in a position to say if it will safeguard their data through future upgrades.

However, am I to understand, from your statements here, that you don't actually mean future upgrades?;  That, in fact, you mean the current upgrade?;  That 1088 is targetted only at people who are still running 2.0?  And that when applied, it will skip 1032 (or whatever) altogether?

That would make more sense, so that the few who have not yet taken 1032 can get safely to where the rest of us are.

And if that is all the case, then isn't my question still valid?:  For what reason should people who took 1032 apply 1088?

Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark
Posts: 15,634
Registered: ‎04-01-2008
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: at&t

Re: OS 2.1 Upgrade Lost Contacts And Calendar Entries

I can see your point. However, if you make a backup now with 1032 are you sure that backup will restore to 1032? I've not tried nor am I convinced it will. I am traveling so I haven't updated to 1088 yet but I can assure you I will be doing so when I return.

Yes, the 1032 is no longer available and anyone upgrading from 2.0 to 2.1.0.1088 will not experience the data loss those in this thread did.

I still think this is a significant feat for RIM to get this update out so fast.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
help123456
Posts: 13
Registered: ‎09-05-2011
My Device: curve 3g 9300

Re: OS 2.1 Upgrade Lost Contacts And Calendar Entries

I just got caught with my pants down here without a backup.  I have 10yrs of digital pictures and home videos backed up to extra 1TB usb drives and also worked in disaster recovery.  As I earlier mentioned since all user data before this update was retained (docs, photos etc) it was not unreasonable to assume the calendar data would also survive.  Point is, I use icloud and ipad now and solved the problem by switching platforms. I still wish I could export a calendar or contacts file the way Outlook allows so then I iknow that I know it works.  The testing you suggest is for the authors of the OS todo, not the average end user who is likely unfamiliar with testing for 'what if this or what if that's breakdowns happen. Anyways looks like rim hss it fixed with new update so kudos but too late for this guy.
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
TroyTempest
Posts: 367
Registered: ‎09-22-2012
My Device: Playbook 32
My Carrier: 3

Re: OS 2.1 Upgrade Lost Contacts And Calendar Entries

[ Edited ]

help123456 wrote:
I just got caught with my pants down here without a backup.  I have 10yrs of digital pictures and home videos backed up to extra 1TB usb drives and also worked in disaster recovery.  As I earlier mentioned since all user data before this update was retained (docs, photos etc) it was not unreasonable to assume the calendar data would also survive.  Point is, I use icloud and ipad now and solved the problem by switching platforms. I still wish I could export a calendar or contacts file the way Outlook allows so then I iknow that I know it works.  The testing you suggest is for the authors of the OS todo, not the average end user who is likely unfamiliar with testing for 'what if this or what if that's breakdowns happen. Anyways looks like rim hss it fixed with new update so kudos but too late for this guy.

Rule number one in disaster recovery is that a backup must be assumed to be useless until tested at least once. Anyone who did not do a test of their backup but typed in hundreds of unsyncd entries cant whinge now.  It is a user responsibility.

 

Me, I never trust a backup I can't either see (file sharing copies ) or test (bb backup). I tested bb backup and it was flawed so never used it. 

 

By the way I note you trust the icloud. Hope you test it. Syncing to webmail is the same thing.  At least playbook has a direct file share with pc or mac, you will have to use itunes, good luck.

________
Please use plain text.