Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
laserblue
My Carrier: Telus

OS Update ver 2.1.0.1088 amd files

If I click on the OS update, will any of my files be erased? Do I need to backup my files before running the update?

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
jamead1981
My Carrier: EE (Orange)

Re: OS Update ver 2.1.0.1088 amd files

It's always advisable to do a full backup before doing a system update, just incase the worst does happen and something goes wrong during a system update

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
TroyTempest
My Carrier: 3

laserblue wrote:

If I click on the OS update, will any of my files be erased? Do I need to backup my files before running the update?

Update via wifi direct from Playbook to internet should not erase them, but as said above backup first as a precaution.

Update through Desktop Software via USB will always clean out all your files.

You didn't say where you were clicking!

________
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
BB4matt

laserblue wrote:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Upgrading to OS 2.1.0.1032 erased the content of my local calendar and contact files but upgrading to OS 2.1.0.88 maintained the content. I then found out  when these 2 files are used in local mode, i.e. not connected to an external linked server, DTM 7.1  back up files made via ‘Application Data’ and ‘Settings’ options, did  not rebuild this content.

OS 2.1.0.1088 (?) or DTM7.1 (?) still do not allow backing up the content of these 2 local files as I tried today with a restore test by using today's ‘Application Data’ and ‘Settings’ back up files.

I did not try using the full back up option which includes also the media files. So if one does a back up it looks like these 2 files are still omitted by the current DTM unless one is supposed to do a full back up which I will try another day. FYI 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
laserblue

I tried doing the backup to a PC numerous times and got an error message about the connection about 2GB or so into the backup. I looked up THAT problem in the forum and didn't find a solution other than manually copying files to the PC using the files program beneath the backup option. Then I got file initialization error problems! I have no idea how to backup my bookmark files manually. Anyway, I crossed my fingers and did the RESTART. I now have the updated OS 2.1.0.1088 and things seem to be ok. All files seem to be present. All bookmarks are still present. Purchased Apps are working, Purchased music is present.
Please use plain text.