Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
bisleybloke
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Vodaphone

Odd behaviour with large(ish) wireless file transfers

Hi I'm really pleased with my playbook - brilliant device !

I do however have one general dislike ; that is for micro/mini physical connectors. They are a fact of life on many devices now so ......

Anyway. In order to minimise my use of the micro usb connector I have been copying files to it across my wlan but have experienced some difficulty.

Most recently (last night) I was copying a 230 Mb video to my playbook. At various times throughout the transfer, my computer's progress bar would pause for a goodly number of seconds then jump by about a 14 Mb increment (something buffering somewhere maybe ?) This went on until around the 210/220 Mb when my computer gave up and reported that the "connection to the device was interrupted, ignore cancel"

I tried this with a number of files and got the same (or similar)  result each time.

I realise this could be down to many things but just wanted to know if anyone else had noticed something like this happening.

For info:

Playbook 2.1.0.1088

Macbook Pro mountain Lion

Belkin F57D Router.

Kind Regards

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
Lost_at_Sea
My Device: PlayBook 64 GB & Torch 9860
My Carrier: Cogeco

Re: Odd behaviour with large(ish) wireless file transfers

I believe there is a maximum file size limit that can be transferred to the PlayBook. I don't remember the size but I think if you do a search on this site you may find some info on it. I also think it is something that will be changed in a future upgrade.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
bisleybloke

Thanks for your reply. Is that limitation meant wireless transfers only ? It's just that I have placed a number of larger files on the device, admittedly via cable. And yes, I will also do a search of the site, Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
Lost_at_Sea
My Device: PlayBook 64 GB & Torch 9860
My Carrier: Cogeco

I just had a look around. The only thing I found was concerning a maximum file size transfer limit on the BlackBerry Enterprise Server. I think this is the info I had seen earlier.
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
TroyTempest
My Device: Playbook 32
My Carrier: 3

[ Edited ]

I just dragged and dropped a 1.9GB wmv file over wifi, and I am now playing it on my playbook.  Took 34 minutes from my macbook pro.

Size alone does not seem to be your problem. 

________
Please use plain text.
Contributor
bisleybloke

Hi there,

thanks for trying that. I guess I need to hunt a little more.

Regards
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
chaosdivine
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314) and Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746)

[ Edited ]

bisleybloke wrote:
Hi there,

thanks for trying that. I guess I need to hunt a little more.

Regards

I have transferred lots of files a LOT bigger than 230Mb to the PB. Wi-Fi file transfers (and even microUSB transfers in fact) are sloooooooow by nature. I would suspect your connection to the router in your instance. I would investigate your Wi-Fi settings and adjust as required. I have had experience with this modifying something called channel width (I have posts about it here in the forums). Anyhow, that one little setting made a heck of a difference for me with throughput and general Wi-Fi stability with the PB on my network. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
bisleybloke

Hi there. Thanks for taking the time to respond to this. I have actually checked the things you refer to : My router is "G" only and therefore doesn't support the ability to vary the channel width. I have good signal strength and quality and there is nothing on channels adjacent to the channel I am using. The hunt is on :smileyhappy:

Kindest
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
TroyTempest
My Device: Playbook 32
My Carrier: 3

The router I used to transfer the 1.9 GB file is a tiny huawei mifi with G only. It will be some silly setting somewhere. 

________
Please use plain text.
Contributor
bisleybloke

Hi there,

I'm sure you're right. Just gonna take some experimentation to track it down.

Kindest
Please use plain text.