Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Regular Contributor
duncand
My Device: Bold 9900, Playbook
My Carrier: O2 (UK)

Office documents on Playbook - am I missing something

So it seems that with my Blackberry 9900 I can create and edit fully functional spreadsheets whereas on the Plabook I can't (but I can open them and edit cell contents).  Am I missing something?

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
godot2011
My Device: PlayBook 32GB and PlayBook 16GB
My Carrier: DCI Telecom

Re: Office documents on Playbook - am I missing something

I don' t think so. We, PB owners, are all missing the same thing. The Office components are sadly poor at this stage.
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
duncand
My Device: Bold 9900, Playbook
My Carrier: O2 (UK)

Thanks for the quick reply - So it's not just me then. And RIM wonders why they're failing. What a shocker!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
awoods
My Device: 8350, 9650, Paybook
My Carrier: Virgin, Verizon

I can create and edit spreadsheets. But I wouldn't call it fully functional.  If there's a copy and paste function buried in there, I can't find it. Help function is of no help. Having to type every cell really hamstrings the program. You could create a whole spreadsheet that way. But you would have to be really desperate. Not being able to swipe other cells to fill in functions is also infuriating. This problem is in the phone version also.

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
godot2011

The 'Office apps' are Ok, sort of like Office Light? But far from business quality and features. Not what one would expect from RIM.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
MiataMike
My Device: Not Specified

there are spreadsheet functions that run on my 9630 Tour that baffles my Playbrick. If a cell contains such a function then it prevents the playbrick from allowing entry of values in other cells. Also no search text function??? It is far worse than a "lite" version
Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
aandras
My Device: Z10 & Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

agree the apps are very poor excuses. Quickoffice please.
Be a Shepard and not an iSheep.
Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
Lost_at_Sea
My Device: PlayBook 64 GB & Torch 9860
My Carrier: Cogeco

If you do a lot of Word Processing, check out Smart Office 2 available at the App Store on special this long weekend for $4.99. What an excellent App!. I have been waiting a while for this, works great, much better than the Native App.
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
godot2011

Thanks for the suggestion. I have long realized that a tablet will never fully replace a notebook PC, but I would like an Office program, capable to write, calculate, create and edit documents.  It does not need to have all bells and whistles of MS Office or Open Office.  I sideloaded Office PRO but nothing makes me happy as of now.  

What a shame.  I guess we all have to hope RIM does well with OS10 on those new phones next year. Otherwise we will never see Skype, Netflix or a decent office app on our tablets.  We are like maidens in waiting!  Hope will, not get jilted. :No:

Please use plain text.