Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
makwamom
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Sasktel
Accepted Solution

One of two playbooks work- won't connect to wifi-router issue?

First- I AM NOT TECH SAVVY!   PLEASE, do not talk technical... truly, I have been looking on other posts and hardly understand the jargon used, nor what it all means.   I am looking for SIMPLE instructions (without the reasons why) to fix whatever issues I seem to have here. I have a D-Link router 615, and two new BP's, and only one of which will now connect to wifi. I cannot seem to re-install the router software, and each time I try the BP in question,  it won't allow me to connect, I thought connecting it to the computer would do it, but alas, no. I apologize if this, most likely, a repeat question, but the other posts appear to refer to models of routers I don't have, and I am gathering that this, in fact, could be what is causing my grief?? Thank you in advance for whatever help you can give to ease my frustration and now disappointment in a fun Christmas gift....:smileyembarrassed:

Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.2.1.3247; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: at&t

Re: One of two playbooks work- won't connect to wifi-router issue?

Have you tried rebooting the Playbook that is having a problem connecting?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
TroyTempest
My Device: Playbook 32
My Carrier: 3

If you disconnect the"good" playbook by diagonal swipe from top RH corner, tap wifi icon and turn to Off,  will the other one then connect? If so you have too many devices on wifi. 

If this does not work, do the playbooks have identical os version? (top diagonal swipe, gear icon, About, then OS version)

________
Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.2.1.3247; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

What does a top diagonal swipe do? I think that only works when youi're in another app to bring the top ribbon bar up. From the home sreen just tap the wifi logo.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
TroyTempest
My Device: Playbook 32
My Carrier: 3

John_Clark wrote:
What does a top diagonal swipe do? I think that only works when youi're in another app to bring the top ribbon bar up. From the home sreen just tap the wifi logo.

Yes well he is in this forum looking at my reply,  is he not??   So the swipe will be required, and as he says he is non technical I was giving a fuller reply than normally required.

Jeez.

________
Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark

A little sensitive there, are we? It's no problem....I just sat there diagonal swiping from the right corner expecting something I didn't know about to happen when it didn't.

I was clarifying that a diagonal swipe doesn't work from the top unless you have something open that covers the top ribbon bar. It's a straight down swipe to open the Settings page or a tap of one of the icons.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
makwamom

OK, indeed the two both have identical OS numbers, I have tried turning off and restarting everything but the refridgerator, and no luck. And may I say, thank you for giving simple/exact instructions...:smileywink:  Now what?

Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark

[ Edited ]

If you have restarted the non-working Playbook and it still won't connect then it's definitely a router issue.  Have you tried connecting this non-working Playbook to other routers (i.e. coffee shop, Internet Cafe, etc.?)  That will narrow it down to the router for sure.

One thing about routers...they assign an IP address to a device for a certain amount of time called a "lease time."  So, even if you disable the wifi on one Playbook, the router will not assign that IP to another device until that lease time has expired.  

Without looking at the settings in your router it is difficult for us to know why both devices won't connect.  The router can be set up to allow a certain number of IP addresses to be assigned at one time.  It could be 1, 5, 10, 50, 100, up to 255.  How many total devices do you have connected to this router?

Below is a screenshot of the settings in my router to give you an idea of what I'm talking about.  You can see that I have 50 set for the number of users. 

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/11580873/RouterSettings.JPG

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
makwamom

Well, I have been poking into the router, took me 2 hours, and I cannot get a screen like pictured. I have D-Link model DIR-615. I can go to this:

http://192.168.0.1/lan.asp and it doesn't appear I can change # of users... I also tried "uploading new firmware" and it won't work. It gives me an error message. Grr.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
makwamom

k, that link won't show diddly.. anyways, it matters not, because I cannot seem to change it.

Please use plain text.