Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
MrDavid
My Carrier: AT&T

Only Operating When Plugged In - Battery Issues?

[ Edited ]

My Playbook has been more or less flawless up until last week.  Suddenly, when removing the Playbook from the fast-charger (where it sits during the afternoon while I'm at the office), the Playbook went dark. 

Thinking I had inadvertently put it to sleep as I removed it from the charger, I did the "wake up" swipe.  Nothing.  Tried via the power button.  Still nothing.

When I got home, I plugged it in using the travel charger.  Red light blinked on top, then two yellow pulses, then solid green.  I pressed the power button and it booted up.  Battery indicator shows a full charge.  As soon as the device is unplugged from the wall... back to black.

I have tried the official "debricking" method via BB Desktop linked to on this forum - no success.  Have booted the Playbook in the fast-charger, then left to charge in standby mode for a day and a half - no success.  Every time I remove the Playbook from its charging source, it instantly turns off.  This makes me think that the battery has gone kaput or the connection to the battery has been damaged (not sure how this would happen; the unit has not been dropped, etc.  It sits on my desk for most of the day).

Any other thoughts from the forum?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
MrDavid

Re: Only Operating When Plugged In - Battery Issues?

[ Edited ]

Updates... More "weirdness", and I now think there is a software error causing this instead of a physical problem with the battery:

The tablet will no longer boot when plugged in using the wall charger.  I get a solid red light that lasts 8-10 seconds, then it goes dark, then "pulses" again for 8-10 seconds.  I have seen the YT video of the blinking red light, and that is not what my unit is doing.  This is solid red, off, solid red.  It never moves to the pulsing yellow or green.

In the fast-charger dock, I now get the empty battery logo on the screen (empty red battery with the lightning bolt), followed by the solid red - pulsing yellow - solid green, and the device boots.  Once booted, the battery indicator says 91%, but the logo shows the plug (not lightning bolt) indicating that no charging is taking place.

I am more or less convinced that something happened within the device causing the battery to drain, but the OS thinks I have a full charge and is not charging the unit.

I attempted the unbrick-via-software-reinstall again last night, but after downloading about 10% of the software, I get an error message saying that the tablet has insufficient memory (though prior to all this nonsense, I had about 4GB available on the tablet).  The recovery is halted and I'm back to the beginning.  I tried this three different times last night, including rebooting the laptop in case it was causing the problem, with the same error result.

What haven't I tried?  Is there any other way to charge the unit without the OS getting in the way?  Mucho thanks...

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
leopoldbirkholm
My Carrier: -

Hello,

When googling it, I came upon this post (http://forums.crackberry.com/blackberry-playbook-f222/my-pb-died-now-wont-charge-731864/) that looks promising. Give it a try and tell me if it did help you or not.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
MrDavid

Appreciate that link. The user on that forum is describing a similar problem to my own, and I will try some of the other solutions suggested there. Thanks!
Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
jarviser

There's a sticky thread in this forum with about 74 pages.  It's why we don't always respond to this old chestnut. Look at the last page and work back.

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-PlayBook/Play-book-wont-power-up-or-light-just-bli...

MAYBE BB10 will fix it???????

Jarviser, I certainly appreciate that. I did check the sticky thread, but my issue is different (unless there is something buried in that thread that I missed).

I can boot up... just only when the PB is sitting in the fast charger.  I go from booted and operating normally in the charger showing full charge, to instant shutdown the moment the PB comes out of the charger.  There must be something within the OS that thinks I have a full charge when, in fact, I have no charge.  Or I have a bad battery.

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
jarviser

Take a look at this one for picture.

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-PlayBook/Jump-start-a-PlayBook-a-knottyrope-tip/m-...

Bad battery or bad connection. If you want to pry off the back,  take out the two screws in the battery connector then remake the connection it may fix it.  Warranty would be voided.

Much appreciated. I ordered one of the travel rapid chargers from Amazon (my current fast charger is the dock, which covers all the ports) and I'll try the stack charging method. If that doesn't work, I may get bold and open the tablet up to try knottyrope's jump-start option.
Please use plain text.