Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
mikeaspatrick
My Device: Playbook 16Gb

Open/Edit Word/Excel Docs stored on SkyDrive

Hi, I store my commonly used Word and Excel files on MSFT's SkyDrive service as it means they're always up to date and I can open them on my PC, laptop or Windows Phone. 

I'm about to get a Blackberry Tablet.  Is there a way for me to open/edit/save these SkyDrive-stored documents in Documents to Go on the tablet please?

Regular Contributor
TOF
My Device: Torch 9800, Playbook 64

Re: Open/Edit Word/Excel Docs stored on SkyDrive

I'm a new (and pleased) PB owner. Your question prompted me to try a couple of Word97 documents and Excel spreadsheets. They all loaded, opened and were editable on the PB using the Skydrive url from the browser.

Admittedly, this is a small sample but with practice I think you'll be able to use the PB for this.

New Contributor
mikeaspatrick

Cool, thanks  :smileyhappy:  Do you know if it's possible to save those URLs in Docs to Go?

Thanks again,

Mike

New Contributor
mikeaspatrick

Also, do you know if these files can be edited and re-saved to SkyDrive please?

Thanks again

Regular Contributor
TOF

I don't know for sure about the URL saving but you ought to be able to do it.  Explore the Skydrive menus for something like PC site and play around with that.  With a little experimentation you'll probably be able to do what you need to do on it.

Forums Veteran I
aandras
My Device: Z10 & Playbook

You can edit and save skydrive docs.
Be a Shepard and not an iSheep.
New Contributor
mikeaspatrick

Cool!  Thanks for that.  Is it easy or does it involve a workaround?

Thanks again

Regular Contributor
TOF

Yes you can save the downloaded Skydrive Docs. When saved they go into the Word to Go folder. I've not been able to save the revised document directly back to the Skydrive. I suppose it could be done by sharing between a PC and the PB
Regular Contributor
TOF

Just did an edit of a downloaded Skydrive stored Word doc. Saved the edited doc on the PB. Went to look for it and found it not in Documents as I expected but in Downloads. Over WiFi file sharing, I used my desktop machine to open Skydrive and using it's Add File feature, I dragged and dropped the edited orginal and allowed it to replace the unedited original. It works even though this is somewhat combersome, it can be done. Maybe 2.0 will be more friendly.