Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: n/a
Accepted Solution

Overdrive installed on my Playbook but won't open

I went to the library yesterday and installed Overdrive Media Console with Adobe I on my new Blackberry Playbook. I then added my library and downloaded 2 books. It worked fine when I was there. When I got home and clicked on the Overdrive icon, the Playbook tried to open the program, but the screen went back to the main Playbook page. I can't seem to get to my booklist screen. I keep being kicked out. Any ideas?

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Two PB's

Re: Overdrive installed on my Playbook but won't open

Is your playbook connected to internet at home?

Was it Overdrive Media Console from App World?

It's not connected to the internet and I don't have wifi.

If I remember correctly I downloaded the software from the library website

New Contributor

I forgot to ask - do I need wifi to be able to read downloaded ebooks, like the Sony tablet? I was under the impression that once the ebook was loaded, I could read it regardless of internet access, for example reading on a plane.

Also my library is the Edmonton Public Library, see www.epl.ca

Forums Veteran I
My Device: PlayBook 32 & 64 GB & Torch 9860
My Carrier: Teksavvy

The App you downloaded is only for BlackBerry Phones, not the PlayBook. You can however download apps that allow you to download library books onto the PlayBook. Check BlackBerry World.
You can read downloaded books on the PlayBook without accessing the Internet.
Your PlayBook has been setup with a BlackBerry ID and Password. You can download apps from BlackBerry World probably while connected to the library wifi system.
Forums Veteran I

Correction to the above comments.
I checked the website Site of Overdrive Media Console. They indicate that the software in question is only for the phone. However the BlackBerry App World says it is for the PlayBook.
New Contributor

As per your suggestion, I deinstalled the Overdrive app and tried adding the one from App World from Blackberry. That one is only  for audibooks. So where do I find this app if the one on the Overdrive website is only for phones?

Forums Veteran I

At the top of this Page is a search utility. Enter epub reader and see what comes up. You can also enter the same in App World. You should also check the same thing out at www.crackberry.com. They also have a good search utility and plenty of help on ebook readers.
New Contributor

I was able to download the app from Blackberry App World and went through the whole process again of finding my library, adding Adobe I and downloading books. When I got home and I tried clicking on the Overdrive icon to see my booklist, the tablet would search for a few seconds and then kick me out back to the main page.

Forums Veteran I

I am not familiar with this app. I would think your books are on the PlayBook somewhere. I use the Kobo App and any books I get are in the Kobo library on the PlayBook. I don't need the Internet after I download them.