Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
aaliceinw
My Carrier: Vodacom SA
Accepted Solution

PB Power up problem

My Playbook won't power on after having it recharge since yesterday via wall charger. Other than having it replaced (I brought it 3 weeks ago).

I have tried all the solutions offered on this site and just need to know if RIM has idenitfied what the issue and published a "patch" or something.

Thanks

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,747
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: PB Power up problem

I don't know what all you've tried... holding down the power + Up + Down volume keys, all three simultaneously, for about ten seconds?

And, with the charge cable still connected?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
sebastianmoran
My Carrier: None

Dumb question on my part, but just to be sure - you are using the charger that came with the playbook, not one from a BB smartphone, right?
Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,747
My Carrier: Verizon

sebastianmoran wrote:
Dumb question on my part, but just to be sure - you are using the charger that came with the playbook, not one from a BB smartphone, right?

Never a dumb question!

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Carrier: none

@aaliceinw, how do you know it's really recharged if it won't power on? Is it possible your charger isn't working, or that the connector is damaged or you're not plugging it in fully? Anything like that?

Also, do you observe anything with the LED (next to the front camera) when you plug it in, or when you try to power it on? (Sometimes I think I have to hold down the power button for a second or two before it notices it, though that could just be me not pressing it properly.)

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
aaliceinw

Thanks for responding everyone.

1) My battery was fully charged when and the BBPB powered itself off after being in standby.

2) I have tried all of the combinations of pressing the equivalent of alt.cntr.del - that is holding down the on off button by itself for up to 20 secs, holding down the +,- and power on buttons dito - with original BBPB plugged in - and plugged out.

3) I am using the wall cable for the BBPB and not the one for my phone. I found out that that it doesn't charge the Playbook when I first bought it - so no, it is not a dumb question at all.

4) tried with USB plugged into computer.

I dont have any problems using the power button. It is not quite flush with casing and so it's easy to power on and off normall.

I read the previous posts on the subject but did not see a solution, which was I asked RIM if they had a solution or if I should just swap it out?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
aaliceinw

@Peter9477 - forgot to mention,

When I try to power on the red comes on for about 3 or 4 seconds and then the greeen-light flashes 4 times, then everything goes off, in all the different combinations that I have tried to get the BBPB back on.

This happened right from the beginning when it was definintely fully charged.

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477

[ Edited ]

A PlayBook with a full battery should never just power itself off, other than if you select Turn Off from the battery icon, or are doing an update.

Based on that alone, I'd be concerned, but not being able to turn it back on by any means sure sounds to me like a good reason to return it.

(Edit: oh, LED activity?  That will likely mean something.  In that case, I'd contact RIM about it as they ought to be able to interpret that activity, even if nobody else here chimes in.)

Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477

@aaliceinw, not sure if you noticed, but I edited my last post, as I'd written it before I saw your "forgot to mention" comment. I've you've seen the edit, please just ignore this one. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
sebastianmoran
My Carrier: None

Alrighty, blinking led lights, that's a clue!
Check this KB article - http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB26708

If the resolution doesn't cut it, I would suggest that you go to the store where you bought it and try to charge it there for 40 minutes with one of their playbook charges (to confirm if the problem is on your charger). If all goes well, you have a broken charger, and they'll have to swap it for another one. If not, you have to ask for a new playbook at the store (if you're still within the replacement no-questions-asked period, which in the UK is 14 days, I believe) or you have to call RIM and ask for an RMA due to the issue that your playbook has. Good luck!
Please use plain text.