Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
rowo
My Device: Torch 9800 Playbook 32G
Accepted Solution

PB dead Playbook only blinking red LED

[ Edited ]

After a factory reset my PB could not connect with DTM.

I tried the 3 button reset and noticed at that time the battery was flat. Connected it to the charger.

On the screen came the message to reload the system.

It told me that a new update was available and it started to download it as soon as the battery would be charged for 20%

After automatically rebooting it gave an error 4001. Update was not completed.

Tried this several times without success.

Tried again to connect to DTM. PB is detected but DTM can not communicate with it.

PB is fully charged.

Tried to update the OS. It fails when connecting to the PB. The screen of the PB stays black, Red led is blinking twice and then a pause.

Forums Veteran I
Lost_at_Sea
My Device: PlayBook 64 GB & Torch 9860

Re: PB dead Playbook only blinking red LED

How do you know the PB is fully charged?
I think the OS is corrupted. I suggest you connect it to your charger and leave it connected while you try the three button reset. You may have to do it several times. It is not easy to hold all three buttons down at the same time for 15 seconds. Once you get the LED flashing only once, you will have to connect it to your computer to update the OS. Make sure you have the latest DM on your computer and download the latest OS.
Forums Veteran I
Lost_at_Sea

Rowo,
Another thing you can try is to give your PlayBook a security wipe. This will delete everything that has been installed such as photos, music, downloaded apps etc except the OS. You may have downloaded something that is causing your problem. Just be aware that you can lose all your data unless it has been previously backed up onto your computer.
Contributor
rowo

Hi lost_at_Sea,

I was trying to install the OS. It kept on ending with the message that the installation failed. I retried it several times. The PB was connected to the charger and loaded for 5 hours.

I connected it to my computer with the DTM on. It could not connect because OS was corrupt. I selected upgrade and it started downloading. It failed at the reboot. Since that time the screen is completely black and only the red led is flashing twice followed by a pause of several seconds.

I tried the trick with the 3 buttons 50 times but the red led is still blinking twice. I again connected it to the computer.

During the installation I received a message that DTM could not load to the device. Some solutions were given. I changed the power settings on the USB and used another USB cable (without extension). The installation has finished. At reboot the following message comes on : "The desktop loader is unable to connect to the device. You may need to enter the password on the device "  Screen on the PB is still black, Red led still blinking as before.

Forums Veteran I
jarviser
My Device: Two PB's

Lost_at_Sea wrote:
Rowo,
Another thing you can try is to give your PlayBook a security wipe. ....

Can you do a wipe if you can't boot the PB?

Because I could not give a password I selected cancel. A message that the installation was completed and that it was save to disconnect the device came up. Nothing was changed.

Connected the PB again to the computer. Selected the updating of the OS.

It starts updating very fast until 25% then after 1 minute the message 'There was an error updating your software. An error has occurred while updating your device's software'. Tried this now 4 times with the same result.

The PB was used by a friend and given to me after a security wipe.

Forums Veteran I
Lost_at_Sea

Try giving it a Security Wipe while it is connected to the computer.
Contributor
rowo

[ Edited ]

PB did not boot. Screen is blank,

How can I do a security wipe?

Tried updating again. Now I have the request for the password again.

Thanks for your time

Trusted Contributor
vanawful
My Device: BB PlayBook, BB Z10 (replaces my Motorola BIONIC), Apple iPhone5; iPhone3S

What version of DTM are you running on your computer? Make sure you have the latest.

Seems odd, but try a four button hard reset. First, do not connect to your computer. Connect to your external charger. Press power, vol-, vol+, and play/pause (not easy to do). Hold for 30 seconds.

IF, this gets your screen back DO NOT reconnect to your computer. First do the security wipe.

Highly recommend not perfoming OS updates via a computer connection. Have had more success do it over a WiFi connection.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QNX + Android = BB10 = The only platform that offers the freedom of choice.
Contributor
rowo

Version of DTM is 7.0.0.59

Tried  your suggestion 4 times now (and indeed it is not easy to do) without any change. Tried it also disconnected from the charger, no change.