Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
Laudek
My Device: Torch 9800 & Playbook
My Carrier: Bell

PB not recognized by PC or desktop software

Hi there

Have Dell XPS 27 all in one running windows 7 professional 64 bit.  Playbook software 2.1.0.1088.  BB desktop software 7.1.0.37 bundle 39.  Computer has USB 3 ports.

Connecting to PC via usb only charges the PB.  There is no recognition of the PB by the PC or BB desktop software.  However the computer and the BB desktop software do recognize my Torch 9800.

Combed through various threads.  Installing and reinstalling the desktop software, with PC reboots doesn't work.  Tried restarting the PB.  Tried disconnecting WiFi and Bluetooth.  Also disconnected from internet and turned off McAffee firewall.  No luck.

Found KB27424, which raised KB27679.  Found that PB does not show up at all in Device Manager network adapters.  Only reference I can find to RIM in Device Manager is under Ports (COM and LPT). I seem to have RIM Virtual Serial Port V2 under COM3 and COM4.  Was able to connect the PB to the PC via Bluetooth but that only allows me to play music.  Need to be able to backup and sync files.

Since the computer doesn't recognize the PB is connected I can't access it as a CD ROM drive to get PB drivers.  Any  suggestions on what may be the sticking point and how to fix it?

Please use plain text.
Elite I
Krypto
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

Re: PB not recognized by PC or desktop software

When you're at this point and you've tested as much as you have, you only have one option I can think of and that is to reload the software on your PlayBook.

Since you can't connect your PlayBook to your XPS computer, can you get access to another computer to try to back up your data? Or if you can tolerate just backing up the files on your PlayBook (e.g. pictures, music and video), you can transfer the files wirelessly using the method described in the following KB article:

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB26068

Once you're all set, plug your PlayBook into your computer, open the BlackBerry Desktop Software, then reboot your PlayBook. After about 30 seconds, you should get a message on the Desktop Software saying that it cannot connect to your device and it will ask you if you want to Retry, Update or Cancel. Select Update. This will reload all the software on the PlayBook and it should then be able to connect to your computer just fine.

I hope this info helps, although I know it's going to be a hassle.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Laudek

Hi there

By reloading software I am presuming you mean conducting a security wipe and reverting back to factory defaults and then reloading what I can off the computer.  Is this a correct understanding?

I am going to try and connect the PB to our laptop and see if that works.  If not I will proceed with the security wipe and "rebuild".

Cheers

Laudek

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Laudek

Update on situation.

Plugged in PB to a Dell laptop which also has BB Desktop software on it. However it is running Windows 7 Home premium 32 bit, and it also has McAfee internet security suite.  Yet on the laptop the PB is recognized.  Am able to backup, sync, and transfer files.  Am also able to pull files from the desktop XPS through the network and put them on the PB through the laptop.  Then I updated the Desktop software to the newest version and reconnected the PB.  Still works.  Even updated the PB to OS 2.1.0.1314

Went back to XPS Desktop and plugged in the PB.  Guess what - Still no luck in recognizing the PB. 

So now my question has changed.  I have uninstalled, rebooted and then reinstalled the desktop software in my earlier attempts to get the PB connection recognized. It  looks like there's something amiss with the desktop.   Knowing this, any ideas on what I should be looking for to try and fix the desktop connection? 

Please use plain text.
Elite I
Krypto

[ Edited ]

One thing to check is your antivirus/firewall solution. Try turning off the firewall. Will it connect now?

Scratch that... I just noticed that you said you did try that.  Another thing to try is the information posted in this KB article:

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB26745

Hopefully Resolution 2 will do it...

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Laudek

Hi there

Thank you for the new article.  Will try and then post results.  However, thought I should note that connecting the PB to the XPS desktop I do not get any message about being unable to communicate.  All I have seen to date is the PB charging icon leading immediately after connecting the two devices.

Please use plain text.
Elite I
Krypto

I'm still hopeful it will work... I've had similar issues in the past and used the reboot method to reload the software on the PlayBook, so I'm thinking the reboot while plugged in might actually be the secret to it working.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Laudek

Hi Krypto

This is getting to be a bit strange. The steps to be taken are according to the article:

The PlayBook's driver installation process was interrupted or has not been fully completed in Microsoft Windows.

Resolution 2

Completing the full driver installation process in Microsoft Windows by allowing the BlackBerry PlayBook Tablet to run through the entire power cycle process.
(Before starting ensure BlackBerry Desktop Software 6.0.2 to 7.0 is installed on the computer and it must remain running throughout all steps)

Launch the Desktop Software, do not close.

Connect the BlackBerry PlayBook to the computer; Should receive the message BlackBerry Desktop Software cannot communicate with the connected device.

Turn off the BlackBerry PlayBook Tablet.

Power On the BlackBerry PlayBook Tablet.

When prompted again with BlackBerry Desktop Software cannot communicate with the connected device. Ignore the warning message, however, do not dismiss it. Allow the BlackBerry PlayBook to fully boot up to the home screen.

After 3-5 minutes it will allow for the completion of the BlackBerry PlayBook profile setup.

Results:

Attempt 1 - connected PB to computer and went straigt to charge mode - no message about communication. Turned PB off (not restart). Didn't get a message from the desktop software but from Windows saying it was trying to install drivers as the PB was shutting down. Installation failed because device was turned off.

Attempt 2 - restarted PB and reconnected to desktop. Still no message about communication, in charge mode. Choose "restart". Message fom desktop software appears regarding being unable to communciate. Leave it alone. After PB boots to home screen wait about 3 minutes and hit retry which I presume was a form of dismissing it because nothing happened other than the PB went to sleep. Notice that desktop software now has the playbook in it's device menu but it's dark and it is not connected.

Attempt 3 - still connected with desktop software open restarted PB. As PB shuts down and reboots the unable to communicate message appears in the desktop software. I leave it alone. PB boots to the homescreen. I let sit for 15 minutes as I did some things around the house. Nothing. Tried "Update" on desktop software message. Gave me option to repair and warning about possibility of wiping my data, thereby restoring factory defaults. As I backed up the PB on the laptop agreed to proceed. Was intsructed to reset the PB by holding the power button, and when off, to power back up. Did that. System, through the desktop software then offered to the PB OS to the version that I already have installed. Allowed to proceed. While on the laptop last night the system downloaded 69 modules, here on the desktop only 1 module was downlaoded. Painfully slowly. After 65 minutes all data wiped and started over with "clean" PB. Went through all initialization steps. Again it wanted to downoad the most recent OS update. Against my better judgement agreed and the system updated. During reboot the desktop software indicated it couldn't connect so I hit retry. Once the PB booted up all clean - guess what - no connection.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Laudek

Hey Krypto

I have no freakin' clue why this won't work on the desktop but will on the laptop.  Wondering if there is something with the recent update that doesn't like Windows 7 Pro 64 bit but works on 7 Premium 32 bit.

Now have the PB plugged into the laptop and restoring data from yesterday's backup there. 

Unfortunately this was frustrating and only worked because I have a second computer in the house.  I am now left with a more inconvenient option for managing the PB.   Looks like I will be managing the PB from the laptop from now on.

Cheers and thanks for the assistance. 

Please use plain text.
Elite I
Krypto

That is truly bizarre as I was certain that the Update process at the very minimum should have worked. I'm going to ask around to see if I can get any other assistance. Keep your eye on the thread over the next few days and we'll see what we can come up with, but at this time, it looks like the issue must be on the computer's end, possibly a registry issue? I don't know if you have a registry cleaner handy for your computer (e.g. Registry Mechanic or something similar), but if you do, try running that. Other than that, I'm stumped.

Please use plain text.