If you are using Internet Explorer, please remove blackberry.com from your compatibility view settings.

Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
Laudek
My Device: Torch 9800 & Playbook
My Carrier: Bell

Re: PB not recognized by PC or desktop software

Hi Krypto

I do have System Mechanic (by Iolo) installed on the desktop, and it did do some registry cleanups early in December.   I am wondering if that had anything to do with this issue.  But if it did, would it not have also screwed up the ability of the desktop software to connect with the Torch smartphone?  

Now if there is a registry issue do you have an idea of what I should be looking for?  Any help is good in this case.

In any event I can manage the PB via the laptop.  Not my preferred choice but hey at least it works.

Thanks again and by the way - Happy New Year.

Laudek 

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
jarviser
My Device: Two PB's

[ Edited ]

It would not be the first device to have 32 bit drivers but no 64 bit windows drivers.  There's also all the bits of networking security and protocol that Windows neeeds to be open. However if the Torch talks to it, it's more likely to be Playbook drivers. 

One thing you could do is try to delete any stray legacy drivers from Windows by displaying unconnected device drivers. It's what a lot of people using 3G dongles have to do when changing dongles. Here is the jist of it. 

I take this method from howtogeek.com 
First uninstall Blackberry Desktop Software, (and Blackberry Device Manager if it's there).
In Windows, the first thing you’ll need to do is open a command prompt in administrator mode.

Type cmd into the start menu search box, and then use Ctrl+Shift+Enter to open in administrator mode. (You can also right-click on the command prompt and choose Run as Administrator) 
Now paste in the following line: 
SET DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1 
Then type in devmgmt.msc to start up Device Manager from the administrator command prompt:
Once you are in Device Manager, go to the View menu and choose Show Hidden Devices, which will now show all the device drivers including things that aren’t currently installed in your computer. In the list of devices,  look for anything that looks like a Blackberry Playbook driver. Obviously USB section is the first place to look.
You can right-click on the driver and then choose Uninstall from the menu to remove the drivers for that old hardware. If you uninstall anything by mistake that should be there it will re-install on re-boot .

Reinstall Blackberry Desktop Software.

My Device: Torch 9800 & Playbook
My Carrier: Bell

Jarviser

Thank you for that information.  While I have not yet uninstalled the BB desktop software, I did test your suggestion and ran the cmd prompt as an administrator.  I then examined device manager to try and find anything related to the playbook.

I restored the PB using the laptop.  Lost a few default email icons (now only have Facebook and twitter), lost a different icon (BB news), but was able to reinstall it. Lost some mail and contacts, but I have backups.  So all in all a bit frustrating.

I will try your suggestion on New Years.  I need a bit of a break from this.

Cheers

Please use plain text.