Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
My Device: Storm 2 9550
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: PB vs. Xoom

When a company is going to venture into a new area (tablets in this case), R&D is done.  The Research seems to have either failed in this case, or was ignored.  I know when I am writing an application, I make **bleep** sure I know what the need and desires are BEFORE I tell my client that it is complete.  Sure, some of my clients will see features that they want in the application AFTER they have used it, but they are not basic functions.

Some of the items people have complained about the PB are BASIC functions for a business tool.  My wife used my Xoom for a while last night b/c she is now thinking about returning her PB.  She LOVED the idea that she can access documents on the server.  Even with the 3rd party apps for PB, that is not possible.

BBEx 5.0.1 on SBS 2007 (Exchange) Playbook w/o Directory structure & Dropbox & RDP
Forums Veteran I
My Device: Bold 9900, Playbook , HS-700 headset
My Carrier: Rogers

theonna wrote:

The apps they demonstrated- are not available on my pb, they do me no good, if they are not available.

I think as a customer I have a right to expect performance and utilty from the new device, not excuses that it is "new" and I should give it more time, whith that I could buy something that I can use now, and may be consider PB when it comes up with all those promised features...by which time I am sure ipad and xoom and other tablets would be ahead again. If you want to compete, you cant if you tell your customers to wait... and wait... and wait...

What I am trying to say is this... with a brand new OS... there is no way you can expect it to compete with the variety of apps that established systems already have... not right off the start anyways.

To do so is being unrealistic.

I took expect performance and utility... and I have that with the PB, where are you lacking it? In that lack of apps? lets not go over the same thing again.

and by all means, let the Xoom have more apps when the app player is released, just means more for the playbook also.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1). Please thank those who help you by clicking the Like Button beside the 'Reply' button.
2). If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking "Accept as Solution" on the correct post!
3). Remember to have fun! We are all in this together!
4). Follow me on Follow Raelic1337 on Twitter

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: ATT

Raelic wrote:
What I am trying to say is this... with a brand new OS... there is no way you can expect it to compete with the variety of apps that established systems already have... not right off the start anyways.

To do so is being unrealistic.

I disagree, it is not the amount of apps that matters, but quality and availability of main basic functions like email.

The reason we all clamor for the best newest technology is because we expect it to do all we could do before, but better and some extra that we could not do before.

Every new device has to go through this evaluation, otherwise it would not make any sense to upgrade.

For business adoption in particular nobody buys tools for promises, they would like to see specific working reliable features that would improve their users ability to do their job.

At the moment PB is unusable for business if you do not already have blackberry phone not on att network.

It ignores huge section of the business users, who adopted either android or iphones for their purposes. 

For casual user- it has no mass used apps- Kindle, Skype- come to mind...

And even more, I tried my work webmail- it works fine on xoom and ipad and fails miserably on PB....So even browser was not sufficiently tested. Because if anything- it is browser that makes or breaks the tablet.