Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
kingfreeze
My Device: blackberry playbook, Q10

Re: PLAYBOOK WIFI ISSUES

Dear lost, thanks again for your help. I tried the 3 button reset, and tried to find a public network at a McDonald's, to no avail. I have another friend I would PB chat with, and had no problems from overseas, and after he returned home. I am unsure how to proceed, next, I Weill see if bb desktop manager recognizes wife's PB. Would creating a VPN profile help? Wife's PB is 9 months old, has hardly anything on the hard drive, is handled with great care, not a scratch on it. I am hoping jsanders could provide some insight. Last night when wife's PB was turned on the first time home, it did have the blck screen, I did a hard reboot, pressed and held the power button until lit turned off. I will search the forums, anything else you can contribute owe would appreciate.

JSanders
Solutions: 5,992
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

kingfreeze, sounds like it's time to do a debrick on the Playbook.

You need to follow these instructions to "debrick" your PlayBook:
1. Do a backup of your PlayBook using your computer and BlackBerry Desktop Software version 7 installed. It can be downloaded from http://us.blackberry.com/apps-software/desktop/
2. After the backup is finished, unplug the PlayBook and on the PlayBook press and hold down the power button until the unit forces the device off.
3. With the Desktop Software still open on your computer and the PlayBook powered off, connect the PlayBook to your computer once again.
4. You should see an error screen from Desktop Software popup with the options to Retry, Update, or Cancel.
Very quickly choose the Update option.
5. All information will on your PlayBook will be erased and a reload of the Software will commence to install on the PlayBook.
6. Once this is complete your PlayBook will go back through the initial (as if new) setup wizard (entering the BlackBerryID, etc., and then you can perform a restore using Desktop Software to return your personal data from the backup. Applications which you downloaded from AppWorld won't restore, but they can be easily reinstalled using AppWorld > MyWorld section of AppWorld.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
kingfreeze

Thank you, J. I have wife's pb plugged into the laptop with desktop manager, and it says "bb desktop software cannot communicate with the connected device ". It did give me the option to repair, without being able to save files and apps. She has pictures from the netherlands in here which will be lost if I proceed.
Contributor
kingfreeze

It is updating, but not exactly as you described, J. I was not able to back up wife's pb. I took pictures of some of her photos with my pb. I am hoping for the device to work correctly again. I will report to you if the reinstall is successful. I truly appreciate your help. 

JSanders

Yep, good luck with it.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor
kingfreeze

The debrick worked. Again, my thanks to you and lost at sea. I am unsure how to mark the thread as "solution ". Our very best regards.....:Clap:

JSanders

Excellent. Great news, good luck.

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
adrieanme
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook

My PlayBook on the other hand has a different problem, I am able to connect to my network, however when I'm in for example on the desk where the router is the signal is strong but when I start browsing for about 4/5 it suddenly shows an error and then I have to turn the wifi off and on again. But when I'm in the kitchen (very very close to the desk) it shows weak signal and sometimes the playbook says that theres no connection but I tried with my blackberry curve 8520 my iphone 3gs and then my laptop and all of them show strong signal. And I restarted the playbook loads of time and even made an update through the desktop manager which sometimes itself doesn't recognise the playbook. So what can I do?

Contributor
kingfreeze

Try an Internet Speed test first. See what your upload and download speed is. The icon is not always correct.
Super Contributor
TroyTempest
My Device: Playbook 32

The playbook wifi range is not huge, maybe 30 feet or less if theres a kitchen wall in the way.

I would recommend a free (or cheap on Mac) program called INSSIDER which will display wireless channels used by your neighbours. Set your router to use a channel away from the others rather than leaving on auto setting.

Use WPA2 encryption in AES mode for best Playbook performance.

Worth a try.

Untitled.jpg

Inssider readout, Mine is GrandadsMiFi which was on channel 6 but I moved to 8.

________