Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
My Device: playbook tablet
My Carrier: public

PLAYBOOK WILL NOT BOOT UP AND NO RESOLUTION IN SIGHT

Hi All,

I bought my PB quite recently and now my PB can not boot up and there is NO RESOLUTION in sight.  I don't even know whether my problem is software or battery related.

First my PB can not boot up.  The last time I used it , the power level was just under 50%.  I managed to charge PB to full power (I knew this because LED showed a solid green light).  When I tried to start PB, LED showed a red light briefly (for 4 seconds) then everything went off.

I tried all the solutions appeared in this web site:

1/connect to a power charger then press power on/off button for (10,20,30, and more seconds)

2/connect to a laptop and  press power on/off button for (10,20,30, and more seconds)

3/start PB by holding down power on/off and + and - buttons at the same time for 10,20,30, and more seconds

4/start PB by holding down power on/off and + and - buttons at the same time for 10,20,30, and more seconds with friends (several friends will help me pressing these buttons in different combinations while other check the clock for 10,20,30, or more seconds). (we were called victims of PlayBook around the office nowadays).

Anyone has other solutions for us ? 

Elite I
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

Re: PLAYBOOK WILL NOT BOOT UP AND NO RESOLUTION IN SIGHT

Try plugging the PlayBook into your computer, then open the BlackBerry Desktop Software. Your computer will try to connect to your PlayBook and when it is unsuccessful in doing this, it should show a message on the screen saying that the Desktop Software cannot connect to your device and will give you a few options. Select the option to update the device software. This will likely wipe your PlayBook and return it to factory condition, but at least you will have a functioning PlayBook again.

If that still doesn't work, go to http://blackberry.com/support/, select PlayBook, then choose the Contact Us tab. You should now be provided with a phone number you can use to contact RIM in your country.

I hope this info helps!

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Contributor

Thanks  for your answer.
What I have in my laptop is not Blackberry Desktop Software but Blackberry Device Manager.  Where can I download BlackBerry Desktop Software ?
I tried plugging in my PlayBook into my laptop and nothing happens.  BlackBerry Device Manager didn't even appear. Usually when my PlayBook power is ON, I can connect my PB to my laptop and my BlackBerry Device Manager (in my laptop) will ask my PB's password.  Now I can not boot my PB so when I connect my PB to my laptop ,nothing happens.
As for the support, RIM has a limitation of 90 days after that they will ask for 99 $ for Extended Protection.  I don't know if it is worth it since I do not know whether the problem can be fixed.  I am asking you is it possible to fix this problem ? 
My instinct tells me that this problem CAN NOT be fixed.
Elite I
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

To download the Desktop Software, go to http://blackberry.com/desktop. Choose the Desktop Software that is right for your computer (e.g. for PC, or for Mac).

As to phoning RIM, you can still call them. Explain the problem to them and you will always have the choice to decline service if they try to charge you for it. But my understanding is that they will still handle warranty issues via phone, even if you are past the 90-day support period. That 90-day period is for other items, such as learning how to use your PlayBook.

Good luck!

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Z10 & Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Well worth the 99$ for the extended warranty. It it cannot be fixed it will be replaced. 2 called for support pays for it.
Be a Shepard and not an iSheep.
Forums Veteran I
My Device: PlayBook 32 & 64 GB & Torch 9860
My Carrier: Teksavvy

I have had no problems with my PlayBook until today. It was on and I gave it a good cleaning with eye glass cleaner and a micro cleaning cloth. While drying it I heard a loud crack of static hit it and it was unresponsive after that. I did a reboot, nothing happened. I did the three button reset, nothing. I let it sit for 5 minutes and gave it another three button reset, red light came on, and then it started rebooting. The static also took out my Messages Account Settings which I had to reestablish a few times before I got my Messages working again. Next dry day, I think I will go easy with the cleaning cloth.
Contributor

I called RIM yesterday and did get support from them.   They open a ticket for the issue and the hardware support people will fix it.  Thanks for your advice.

Anyone with same problem: stay cool and call RIM 

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Z10 & Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Make sure you follow up with the. Even if you have to call every day.
Be a Shepard and not an iSheep.