Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Trusted Contributor
My Device: playbook
Accepted Solution

PLS REVIEW SETTINGS: Wifi interference - PB unable to reconnect

Hi,

Could someone please help double-check my router settings? I am having a lot of connectivity problems between the PB and the home router.

• Yes, the router is old and typically has as many as 10-15 devices connecting to it at once.  o.O
  • Nope, I cannot change it. It's not mine to change. Plus only the PB has problems (and has caused them for others). :-(
  • Yes, I can edit the router settings - but - am only a few notches above luddite compared to some of the folk here so clear instructions and the occasional explanation are much appreciated. ;-)
  • Yep, I have read KB26096 and KB27735 and neither provided a solution.

Specifically, it looks like my iphone and Playbook (and maybe laptop) interfere with each other and cause the router to disconnect them. Once that happens, unlike the other devices, the PB cannot reconnect itself again. It tries, times out, and eventually disables its saved network configuration.

When I first got the PB, it consistently crashed the router. With the help of this forum, I eventually got the router settings edited to create a stable network. Losing 802.11n cost some of the laptops some connection speed but otherwise it seemed to run well. At some point, somebody reset the router and accidentally wiped all the settings. I thought I had re-done the settings correctly, but think I may have missed something.

I don’t recall having had this “unable to acquire IP” problem in the brief time between finally getting the router set up and having to re-do it. I’d really like to get past these connectivity problems. It’s extremely frustrating to lose so much time and productivity because of it and, personally, I don’t know what advantage RIM’s is trying to achieve by making its wifi connectivity so da(r/m)ned picky. Maybe it needs a warning label – or at least to be bundled with a promo offer of a new router at the store..?  ;-)

I have posted the logs from the router and the PB in another post but this is the problem bit:

> 10:17:09: <2>CTRL-EVENT-DISCONNECTED - Disconnect event - remove keys

> 10:17:09: <2>WLAN_AUTH_FAIL:UNRESPONSIVE_AP: [id=6]
> 10:17:09: <2>Authentication with _ROUTER-MAC_ timed out.
> 10:16:59: <2>Associated with _ROUTER-MAC_
> 10:16:57: <2>Trying to associate with _ROUTER-MAC_ (SSID='dlink-cheznous' freq=2462 MHz)
Which leads to this:
IMG_00000068.jpg

and then this:

IMG_00000067.jpg

The whole IP and Password thing is a bit of a mystery. The router says it's assigning the IP lease and the PB is renewing it. If I leave it alone for long enough, it will usually let me reconnect again without turning anything off but as soon as my phone rings or someone sends me a text, the Playbook becomes a paperweight again.

DEVICE INFORMATION

> Device OS: BlackBerry PlayBook OS

> OS Version: 2.0.1.358

SAVED NETWORK INFORMATION

> SSID: dlink-cheznous

> Security Type: WPA2 Personal

> IP Version: IPv4

> VPN Profiles: None Selected

> Band Type: Dual Band

> Automatically Obtain IP Address: Yes

> Enable IPv6: No

> Use HTTP Proxy: No

> Allow inter-access point handover: Yes

Current WI-FI Connection

> Channel: 11

> EAP Method: 

> Signal Level: -52 dBm

> Connection Data Rate: 54 Mbps

> Network Type: 802.11g

> Router: Linksys D-Link DIR-625

Wireless Router Settings

> Router type: Linksys D-Link DIR-625 (discontinued model)

> Wireless Radio : On

Enable Wireless : Yes

Enable Auto Channel Scan : Yes

Wireless Channel : Automatic (2.437 GHz – CH 6)

Current Channel : 11

802.11 Mode : 802.11g only

Channel Width : Auto 20/40 MHz

Transmission Rate : Best – Automatic (Mbit/s)

Visibility Status: Visible

Wireless Security Type: WPA Personal

WPA Mode : Auto WPA or WPA2

Group Key Update Interval : 3600 (seconds)

From the router manual:

Specifications - Frequency Range: 2.4GHz to 2.483GHz 

WPA Mode: Use WPA or WPA2 mode to achieve a balance of strong security and best compatibility. This mode uses WPA for legacy clients while maintaining higher security with stations that are WPA2 capable. Also the strongest cipher that the client supports will be used. For best security, use WPA2 Only mode. This mode uses AES(CCMP) cipher and legacy stations are not allowed access with WPA security. For maximum compatibility, use WPA Only. This mode uses TKIP cipher. Some gaming and legacy devices work only in this mode. To achieve better wireless performance use WPA2 Only security mode (or in other words AES cipher).

Enable auto channel scan: By default the channel is set to 6 but will choose the channel with the least amount of interference.

Channel width: Select 40MHz - Select if you are using all 802.11n devices for maximum performance. Auto 20/40 is the default setting. Select this if you are using both 802.11n and non-802.11n wireless devices. Select 20MHz if you are not using any 802.11n wireless clients.

Advanced Wireless Settings

Transmit Power :High

Beacon Period :100 (20..1000)

RTS Threshold : 2346 (1..65535)

Fragmentation Threshold : 2346 (256..65535)

DTIM Interval : 1 (1..255)

802.11d Enable : No

WMM Enable : Yes

Short GI : No

Extra Wireless Protection : Yes

I'd appreciate someone double-checking the settings to see if there is something simple to do. Otherwise, would assigning the PB its own IP address help and, if so, can anyone walk me through that?

Thanks for any help!

Cheers,

Gum

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: PLS REVIEW SETTINGS: Wifi interference - PB unable to reconnect

Channel Width : Auto 20/40 MHz

set it to 20 if only using G

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Trusted Contributor

Do you know if the WPA mode is an issue?

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

I use WPA 2 at work with out issue and you might be fine with most newer devices with only that one enabled.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Two PB's

With 10 - 15 wifi clients I would consider connecting another wireless router by ethernet cable to the master router (if it has ethernernet port spare) then you and iphone can have your own channel.

That's an interesting suggestion.

Doesthat mean that 2 wifi networks would show up and we could put the iphones & ipads on one and the PlayBook and laptops on the other?

I have seen other posts about iphones interfering with playbooks .. And that people who have upgraded to a new version of the OS (3?) are having wifi problems again. (gawd) Think I may hold off on that update for sanity's sake! ;-)

Trusted Contributor

I set it to WPA2 Only and it does seem more stable now.

I compared the before and after logs and where it usedto say PTK = CCMP GTK = TKIP, they both now say CCMP.

If it stays stable for a full day, I'll call it solved.

Thanks for the help!

Guru III
My Device:

glad to hear you are making some progress, do let us know how it is after a day

Trusted Contributor

Hi knot! Seems stable now that all the router settings have been fine tuned.

Thanks for the input.

Now to try to get my Playbook to somehow pick up my Basecamp calendar with an iCal feed?