Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Trusted Contributor
saugen48
My Device: Blackberry Playbook 32GB
My Carrier: none at present
Accepted Solution

Password on start up

Had my new blackberry for a couple of day..has been turned off and on several times no problem..today, it is asking me for a password...I tried the password that it required for setup and that is not working..any idea why this is happening..Today i did download the Kindle app via the procedure on the net and all worked well after that as well..I did have to turn on the "Development Mode" in Security..shoud that have been turned off on completion???if so what password should I be using here

Gene
Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
jarviser
My Device: Two PB's

Re: Password on start up

[ Edited ]

The password at setup is your blackberry id password and is not needed to switch on. 

If you have not needed a switch on pswd before it must be the one you set for dev mode. Turn dev mode off you shouldn't need a pswd to turn it off

If you have email set up you really do need to add a switch on password in security , password as all your email will be accessible to anyone picking it up.

I ended up having to xxxx the password several times (10) then it did a system restore..luckily it was only a couple of days old so not much on there..but dont know what precipitated this..it had been turned off several times since I got it and then suddenly this password thing..Earlier today I did the add Kindle to Blackberry as per the web instructions and had to turn on the Development mode during this process..should this have been turned off on completion..instructions with the install never said..could that have led to the password thing..I am leery of doing that KIndle load again for fear of the same results..the Kindle load wentwell and no problems...thanks for answering

Gene
Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
jarviser

[ Edited ]

Okay heres what you do. When the setup completes, add a password in security. That is for your safety to protect access to playbook, email, etc. 

Then sideload the Kindle as before, using the same password for dev mode. Switch it off after sideloading.

There is no danger provided you use the same password, then you know what it is. I use the same  4 digit number for both. There's too much good stuff to be afraid of sideloading, having done it before!

Ok before I do it again I want to make sure I understand what you are saying..I have a password that I chose on setup..now, you are asking me to go to the security tab and choose a password to control access to the device and to use that same password for when I go into the dev mode to install the kindle..should I have put the development mode switch back to off when the kindle download is complete or just leave it on...
Gene
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
saugen48

U answered my question and didnt see it..thats probably where I blew it and got the password prompt because I didnt turn off the development mode

Gene
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
saugen48

Re: Password on start up1

OK, the proof will be in the pudding...just finished downloading Kindle again, this time put the development mode button back to OFF...if it screws up again and asks for a password, I hope that idea of making a system password and the dev mode one the same works..

Gene
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
saugen48

So far, I have turned it off and on a couple of times and no password prompt...hope I never see that sucker again..anyhow, thanks my man

Gene
Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
jarviser

If you set a switch on password you will get it after about 30 mins on standby. 

OK, I had it on standby last nite while charging..just went down and got it, took it out of standby and sure enough the password prompt was there..Used my handy dandy 4 digit PW that you suggested and all is good..tks again

Gene
Please use plain text.