Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Visitor
TOareaFan
My Device: Playcrap
My Carrier: Bell

Password

Been using a playbook for a little over two weeks now and trying to stay positive.....it is difficult. Today's adventure is the sudden need for a password. Never happened before......I have never set up a password. Now when I turned it on this evening it asks for a mysterious password and tells me I have ten tries! Have used 4.....no luck. Support won't help me because I don't happen to be in the 10% of the human population who can read the serial number on my device? Anyone seen this where the PB suddenly decides it needs a password? Any idea if there is a default password? Any tips at all?
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
djrej
My Device: BlackBerry Playbook and Blackberry Curve 9380
My Carrier: Globe Telecom

Re: Password

today i encountered the same problem. my playbook mysteriously asked for a password but luckily i have a favorite password which i always used. entered the pw and i got in.  then i remember, while i was tinkering with my pb earlier, i read something about  development mode.  i remember going to settings>security>development mode. i turned development mode on and it asked for a pw so i set my favorite one.  thereafter, after 30 minutes or so of being idle, i picked up my pb and that was the time it asked for a pw.  the moment i got in, i checked settings>security>passwords.  lo and behold, pw was set to on and to lock at 30 mins.  turned pw off and now it's normal. i would have remembered doing that.  you could have done the same thing so try the pw you set with dv mode. worth a try.

Please use plain text.
Developer
cas118
My Device: Z30 / PlayBook 64GB
My Carrier: Virgin Mobile UK

Hmm.

1 Has anyone else used your PlayBook?
2 Have you put it in development mode?
3 The serial number can be read from the bottom of the PlayBook.
4 Even with support's help, I can't see how they will get at the PlayBook without a factory reset.
5 On the simulators, the password is 'playbook'. I don't see why it would be on yours, but have you tried that?

For what it's worth, I've never heard of anyone's PlayBook suddenly having a password set by itself.

Follow me on Twitter1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
kirshan
My Device: Torch 9800, PlayBook 64gb
My Carrier: Meteor (ireland)

This just happened to me with my second playbook that I had just bought and yes did put it into development mode. Only one try left, but wouldn't be too much of a big deal if I did loose everything anyway. Curious scenario nevertheless.

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
chaosdivine
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314) and Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746)

kirshan wrote:

This just happened to me with my second playbook that I had just bought and yes did put it into development mode. Only one try left, but wouldn't be too much of a big deal if I did loose everything anyway. Curious scenario nevertheless.

Assign your PlayBook a password to log in - make it easy so you won't forget it. Whatever you assign the password to be, it will ALSO be the same password for turning on development mode. Since you have just assigned a new password to log into the PlayBook, it will reset the attempt counter for Development Mode.

To turn off passwords, go to Security, password, then select to turn it off.

Please use plain text.