Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Curve 9320
My Carrier: Globe Telecom
Accepted Solution

Physical Address

I would like to know if what is the Physical address in BlackBerry PlayBook for?

If you find it difficult to find, it is under WIFI,  Diagnostic Information. Your help would be much appreciated.

Trusted Contributor
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: n-a

Re: Physical Address

It's a unique identifier - usually called a MAC address - that can be used to control access between a network and devices (among other things). Basically, you can use mac filtering to allow or deny access to your wifi network based on the mac address of the devices. You can also check which devices are connected to your network and which ip address and mode they are using by a combination of mac address and device name.

Ref:

"The Media Access Control (MAC) address is a unique value associated with your device network adapters and is also known as “hardware address” or “physical address”. MAC addresses are 12- digit hexadecimal numbers and are usually written MM:MM:MMSmiley FrustratedSSmiley FrustratedSSmiley FrustratedS or MM-MM-MM-SS-SS-SS. The first half of a MAC address identifies the manufacturer (MM:MM:MM) and the second half of a MAC address represents the unique serial number assigned to the adapter by the manufacturer. National Defense University (NDU) utilizes your device Description (such as PC, Laptop, Notebook, Netbook, Tables, etc.), Make, Model, Serial # and MAC Address for authorization, authentication and non- repudiation purposes in NDU Wireless Internet Gateway Network."
Contributor

If the PlayBook doesn't shows Physical Address, what does it implicate? Will the Physical Address show even if the device is not connected to the WIFI? thanks
Trusted Contributor
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: n-a

1. Tap Settings in the upper-right corner of the Home screen.
2. Select Wi-Fi on the left pane.
3. Toward the lower-left cornet, select the Wi-Fi logo with a question mark by it.
4. The Physical Address is displayed on the screen. That is the MAC address for your BlackBerry PlayBook.

You don't need to be connected to a wifi router to find it. It is part of the hardware of your device - sort of like a serial number.
Super Contributor
My Device: pb
My Carrier: none

-xXx- wrote:
If the PlayBook doesn't shows Physical Address, what does it implicate? Will the Physical Address show even if the device is not connected to the WIFI? thanks

It's not so much the physical address of the playbook, it's the address of the wireless card or chip. A pc will have one for each wifi and ethernet card.

If it shows up blank the implication is that the wireless chip is dead or open circuit. 

So, it No Physical Address means that the wireless chip is dead or open circuit, does it means it can't connect to wifi anymore? Is there a fix for this issue?
Super Contributor
My Device: pb
My Carrier: none

-xXx- wrote:
So, it No Physical Address means that the wireless chip is dead or open circuit, does it means it can't connect to wifi anymore? Is there a fix for this issue?

If you are looking at Wifi? then Diagnostic Information, Device Information dropdown, and there is a blank physical address but the Device OS, the Device Pin annd the OS Version are showing, I can see no other explanation than a dead chip.

This chip is no more. It has ceased to be. It's expired and gone to meet its maker. This is a late chip. It's a stiff. Bereft of life, it rests in peace. It connects no more.

No fix unless you can get a repairer to fit another chip. Looks to me in the pics like it's soldered in but I may be wrong. 

Thanks I really appreciate it.. !