Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
louishlomador
My Device: Playbook

Re: Ping test shows playbook internet quality as grade D

At least I'm not the only person experiencing a similar issue. I guess with more people responding we can get to the bottom of the issue. I'm beginning to think it could be the mobile browser, but I'm still not convinced that is the issue.

Super Contributor
TexTucker
My Device: pb

louishlomador wrote:

At least I'm not the only person experiencing a similar issue. I guess with more people responding we can get to the bottom of the issue. I'm beginning to think it could be the mobile browser, but I'm still not convinced that is the issue.

I am not convinced it IS an issue if you have a lousy Pingtest score, but excellent broadband experience.

You have a point, however I'm sure you will admit your desktop browser is faster than the playbook browser, although they are all in the same network and share the same broadband. If it's something the developers at RIM have missed, then it will be worth pointing this out to them. We still haven't got a completely convincing answer yet. I guess there will be a couple of things to consider, processor speed, memory etc.. But my expectations are that the quality of your broadband test is irrespective of hardware. That is what it should be.

Super Contributor
TexTucker
My Device: pb

[ Edited ]

Yes I agree.  Yes mac with chrome browser is faster. It also has a faster wifi connection even though they both claim 54mbps. and mac has a longer wifi range, considering my router is the size of a pack of 10 cigarettes. Unfortunately all speed test sites rely on your browser to run so we are stuck until they bring out a box to plug into your broadband cable outlet with a meter on the front.

I was obsessed with my adsl broadband speed, countless phone calls, house cable mods, but after all that with little improvement above 1mbps my wife said "but it seems fine to me when I use it.".  Which in practice it was.  End of problem. 

It will be interesting to see what a RIM developer or any developer has to say on this matter. Great.

Developer
Innovatology
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course

louishlomador wrote:

Can you back this up with more evidence? That will be very much appriciated. I'd love to believe that is the case, but have nothing to stand on to suggest that is the case

I tested on a couple of Android devices and an IOS device. They score D too. It's probably because mobile device chipsets are optimized to use as little power as possible when idle (and in chipset time, that's sooner than an average ping response). Ping tests are hardly important in the real world, except for maybe some legacy multi-player gaming scenarios.

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Contributor
paulschulte
My Device: Z10, Playbook 64GB WiFi

Well, there may be a few issues at play: either the PB itself, your ISP service, or "network" latency.  For my own part, I tried this test with both my PB and my Z10 (on Wi-Fi only mode):  both devices ended up with a F-grade for line quality (not surprised because I have almost the lowest level of high-speed cable modem service that one can get).  However, while the Z10 regsitered a 379ms ping, the Z10 had a 3800ms ping on one test followed by a 6848ms ping on a second test.  Next, I tested the ping on my Z10 through my mobile data service (LTE).  I received a D line quality, and a 307ms ping, with much less jitter (28ms vs 300+ in the previous test).  Finally, I rebooted the PB and tested again.  This time I got a D for line quality, a 308ms ping with 36ms jitter.  This surprising result on the PB caused me to restart the Z10 and retry the test in Wi-Fi only mode. The result: I tried three times and each time I received a "latency test error" saying that the program couldn't connect to the test server (possibly due to a firewall block).  My conclusion: these kind of tests are hit and miss.  I will say from my own experience, however, that the Z10 does appear to provide (on average) a more robust browsing experience than the PB.