Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: PlayBook 32GB - version 2.1.0.1314
My Carrier: Bell

PlAyBoOk WoNt CoNnEcT

Sorry about the characters in the subject line, not sure why it did that.  

I am having trouble connecting my Playbook to the Desktop software. The Desktop downloaded ok and seems to recognize the Playbook but won't let it connect. I tried the troubleshooting and the only thing I'm not sure of is downloading the Hotfix. Here is my computer info, if someone can help I would be greatful. 

System

Microsoft Windows XP

Professional 

Version 2002

Service Pack 3

Forums Veteran I
My Device: PlayBook 32 & 64 GB & Torch 9860, Z30
My Carrier: Wind Mobile

Re: PlAyBoOk WoNt CoNnEcT

I have the same computer specs as you. I would recommend you go to Windows Update Site and make sure all Critical as well as Optional Updates are installed. It will do a scan and tell you what is missing. Install all of them.
Highlighted
New Contributor

Thanks. Trying it now.

New Contributor

I did all the Windows updates and no luck. I am a little confused about how

the Hotfix works. Do I need to use it?

I just received a Torch from a friend of mine who bought the new BB phone that is out, so I would

really like to get this working. (I haven't done anything to the Torch yet so it is not set up on any phone plan or anything)

Forums Veteran I

I am not familiar with Hotfix. Can you elaborate a bit more.
Forums Veteran I

Here is the procedure to follow that should allow you to transfer music, photos or documents.

1. Setup and turn on all your equipment to run on your wifi network . On the PlayBook you want to get its IP Address and write it down on a piece of paper. This number can vary each time so it is best to get the info just before you start. On the PlayBook go to the settings Gear icon (top right of screen) and tap Storage and Sharing. Toggle on the WiFi Sharing. Remember to toggle it off when you are finished or you can set a password to keep hackers out. Then go to the top of the left pane to "About". In the right pane tap the dropdown arrow and select " Network". Go to the line IPv4 and write the IP address on a piece of paper. It should look something like this 192.168.0.100.

2. On your computer, click on Start, Click on My Computer. In the address line at the top of the page, clear it and enter two back slashes such as \\ followed by the IP Address of the PlayBook. So the line should look like \\192.168.0.100 and then press enter. In a short time it should read the directory of the PlayBook. Click Media and it will show all your subdirectories. At this point you can open the music directories of your computer and drag all the music you want over to the PlayBook. Place it in the Music directory. Pictures will go into the camera directory, movies to the video directory. Documents to your document directory.

3. If you transfer any music, at this point you can go to the PlayBook and try playing some music to see if it works. I have converted all my music to MP3 format on my laptop and then transferred it by wifi to my PlayBook. It will only allow you to transfer 5000 selections if I remember correctly.

4. You can exit your laptop and on your Playbook go to settings/ storage and Sharing and toggle off WiFi sharing or put a password on it.
New Contributor

When the pop up comes up that tells me the PB won't connect there are three buttons. One says cancel, one says support and one says retry. When I click support it takes me to I think a Microsoft site where it talks about downloading Hotfix to allow the Desktop manager to work. It talks about all different qualifications it needs to work and I am very confused if I need it or not.

Forums Veteran I

Go for it.
New Contributor

I didn't download the Microsoft hotfix. I just didn't feel I could trust it for some reason. I did use the other suggestion and transfered my photos that way. Worked perfectly.

Thank you. 

Will that work when I get my BB Torch up and running. (a friend of mine bought the new phone and gave me hers.)