Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Regular Contributor
fastartcee
My Device: PlayBook

Plagued by 'unknown network error' events

It seems that since the last system update, I have been plagued by 'unknown network error' messages--and/or stalled WiFi connections, even tho the signal strength is good--particularly when using gmail or Google user groups.

Have others been experiencing this, or is it just an issue with my home network?

Thanks.
Contributor
wendeebee
My Device: playbook

Re: Plagued by 'unknown network error' events

Yep. I can sit 5 feet away from my router and it continually drops the connection. Very frustrating when basically all I want to do is watch video tutorials. Hangs all the time. My dad's laptop does not, shares the same connection.
Regular Contributor
fastartcee

Hi wendeebee,
It is frustrating that RIM does not monitor this forum and offer timely advice/comments. They might also acknowledge bugs and give a timeline for correction. They are really missing the boat when it comes to building customer relations.
Forums Veteran I
aandras
My Device: Z10 & Playbook

Have you tried a reboot of the router?

It is always the other person's fault never the user.
Be a Shepard and not an iSheep.
Regular Contributor
fastartcee

My desktop (& my wireless laptop & wireless Play Station, at times) share the same router, and very, very seldom have any connection problems. (When a problem does pop up I usually reboot everything--cable modem, router & computer--and virtually every time the issue is overcome.)

Also, these 'unknown system errors' did not occur before the last system update.

In addition to these error messages, I'm also finding that, at times, I have to hit reload two or three times to get a website to complete loading, including just now logging into this forum.

I do not know for certain that all these connection problems are caused by the latest OS, but I suspect so. I will try a restart of both my router and PB to see if that solves anything.

(I've had a home network for over ten years, and know very well that many connection problems mysteriously disappear after restarts. And I agree that for every true OS/software bug there's about a gazillion user errors!)
kace922

Hey did you ever get this resolved. I'm going through this right now.

Thanks

Regular Contributor
fastartcee

Nope! I'm hoping that the problem will go away with the new operating system. It's strange... with many sites there is no problem at all, but with others I have to hit reload maybe as many six or eight times. (I hope it has nothing to do with my dlink router, or I'll still have the problem with OS2!)
kace922

Hey thanks for the reply. I've been using it all day at work with no problems so im thinking its my router at home.

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

if you cover the top left corner, it will lower your signal.

Mine wont work next to router but after 6 feet away it is fine. Might be some interference as my laptop does the same thing.

I delete the wifi profile on my playbook, reboot it after rebooting the router, setup wifi and it works fine for months.

I have an old linksys g 2.4 ghz router which works fine (cept for needed reboot once in a while) on my 3 Playbooks, Torch, 9000, 2 laptops, wii, DRDVD player and my 8820.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Regular Contributor
fastartcee

A clip of my protective case (about 1 cm wide) covers the very top left corner my playbook, but I don't think that should be a factor. I am about 4 or 5 metres from my D-Link repeater; generally the signal strength shows 3 or 4 bars, about -70dBm.

I am puzzled by one thing: although I have my router set up in N-band ONLY, the wireless info on my PlayBook always shows the connection to be G-band.