Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
My Device: Playbook 64
My Carrier: Verizon

Play Book OS upgrade problems USB charging

[ Edited ]

Installed the upgrade last night. My PB will not charge from the usb port on my computer any more. Tried every port and 2 computers. Message reads: Unable to charge battery with connected source. My 9930 charges just fine.

Highlighted
Super Contributor
My Device: PlayBook 32GB and PlayBook 16GB
My Carrier: DCI Telecom

Re: Play Book OS upgrade problems USB charging

The USB port could never provide enough power to keep up with the powerconsumption of the Playbook. This message is just to let you know that fact. Nothing really changed. Basically, he message is: use a charger. 

Contributor

One step forward and one step back for Playbook. Perfect! So much for convenience. Why the change?

Contributor

I did some testing, the connection to the USB is actually maintaining the state of charge, so the power consumption is coming from the usb port and not the battery of the tablet.

Super Contributor
My Device: PlayBook 32GB and PlayBook 16GB
My Carrier: DCI Telecom

fxcapt wrote:

I did some testing, the connection to the USB is actually maintaining the state of charge, so the power consumption is coming from the usb port and not the battery of the tablet.

The point is that the rate of charge from a USB port is very slow. I read O.58W (using Battery Guru) as opposed to the plug in charger which charges at the rate of over 3 W and the cradle (fast) charger which can run over 9W.

There is nothing to worry about.