Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
hampusbolve
My Device: BlackBerry 9700 bold & BlackBerry PlayBook
My Carrier: Trigcom

Re: Play book wont power up or light just blinks

I'm trying to do the thing you saying, plugging in the usb cabel and start bb desktop softw. Push the button down for 10 sec. Nothing happends, the playbook gives a red light and then it just turns off.

And if i try to start it (just a singel press on the power button) the red light turns on again and then 3 green lights and then its turn black.

What i'm i doing wrong? 

Please use plain text.
belini13
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: none

Bought my Playbook the day before I went to Cuba for a week.

Spent hours loading all my stuff and purchasing apps.

Charged to full.

Played some games in airport for 15 mins.

Went to turn it on in plane and.... nothing. Just the 2 blink red light.

Paid good money for internet access from hotel to try to find out the problem - seems like RIM is mute on the subject, at least with anything helpful.

Spend a week with nothing to watch, play, read, listen to, etc.

What a pile of junk.

Returning it this evening.

I'm not going to monkey around with a $700 tablet to try to work around their quality issues. What if this had happened at a critical time during my next business trip???

So disappointed...

You're off my Christmas list, RIM.

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Did you try to reset it by holding the power button down for 10 seconds?

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
Visitor
Lucyk
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Telus Mobility

My PB was turned off with the switch last night then a couple of hours later I tried to turn it on and it got part way through the boot sequence then the screen went black and red light flashed twice every 5 seconds. Tried the reboot but no success. Phone tech support but what a joke. Second guy I spoke to hung up on me because I had to ask him to repeat several times because his voice was so muffled.  Left the PB plugged in over night just in case it was a low battery problem. This morning the red light was still blinking twice every 5 seconds. Downloaded Blackberry Desktop and installed it on my computer then plugged in PB. As soon as I connected to the computer the light stopped flashing. Still couldn't get it to boot up but was given the option to update the PB so I did. Took 1 1/2 hours but afterwards I was able to start up the PB. Unfortunately, all my pictures, videos, apps etc were gone. Had to go through the setup just like when it was new. I learned 2 things from this experience - never turn off the Playbook and backup up frequently

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
djanowski
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: None, phone is through AT&T

Satisfied overall with the device.

I did not charge it last night and returned to work this morning without the wall charger. I do however, have the MicroUSB cable. It is dead enough that it will not boot. I just get the aforementioned red blinking light followed by the green blinking lights and then nothing. Holding the power button down for 10 seconds has done nothing except not result in the green lights flashing.

It is running the latest OS update from yesterday. I have not synced it with my PC since before that however.

Device manager ends up reporting "device not connected" and a Red X in the task tray (An Acer laptop running Windows 7).

Additional suggestions?

Or am I simply screwed until I can return home and plug in the wall charger?

I have now gone through the same process several times now. The randomness suggested above of just repeatedly doing it and it finally will reboot sounds nuts.

Is the device somehow drawing a trickle charge of juice even if it does not connect and boot???? Finally getting just enough to "randomly" boot at some point???

Please use plain text.
Contributor
hampusbolve
My Device: BlackBerry 9700 bold & BlackBerry PlayBook
My Carrier: Trigcom

I have exactly the same problem, except that my charger is att newark airport i new jearsy !
So I think the only thing you have to do is to plug in the wall charger when you get home and then start it again !! 

If you find another sullution with only the usb cable, please tell me! :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
New Developer
teylewr
My Device: Playbook

I think there's a couple of different issues that are going on here.  Theres the one with the battery being dead that fixed with the hilding down of the power button for 10 seconds, and the issues of the blinkng red lights, as well as the issues with the blinking green lights.

I had the issue with the 5 blinking green lights.

I was told,after 2 hour on the phone with support that this is a boot loader issue that has no solution other than getting it repaired, or returning it for a replacement, and that is what I did. So hopefully that helps those of you with that issue.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
djanowski
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: None, phone is through AT&T

Just circling back a day after. Yes, the only solution was to plug the PlayBook back into the wall charger.

After just 20 minutes or so of charging (not scientific, that's just when I had time to go back and check --- hey I have a young kid and dog to look after at home --- so I'm easily distracted) it started back up.

Luckily all the repeated holding down of the power key for long periods did not have the feared consequence of returning the device to factor default (whew).

It is working fine again.

I will have to probe around for the "why" and/or logic/rationale of not having the device able to charge from a powered USB port. So many other devices of recent vintage can. My iPhone can. My HTC before that could. Plenty of portable hard drives can. I think the iPad can.

Is it a security reason? Is it a hardware reason? (I noted above where someone observed that their battery level continued to draw down when connected to a PC).

I'm sure that with both the screen on (larger than any mobile phone w/a capacitive screen for sure) and WiFi radio on that the device draws more amps than a USB connection can supply but the device could shut those down automatically while charging. So hmmmmm.

Please use plain text.
dialsoft
My Device: playbook 16gb

I had this problem after I upgraded to 1.0.3.1868 version.

I let it sit all night after a successful update and then plugged in to a micro USB thinking it would charge from it. Apparently that is not the case.

Just plug your device into the original charger that comes with it and in 2 minutes it will boot just fine.

thats what worked for me.  My exact symptoms before I plugged it in to the original wall AC charger was that I would get a red light then 5 blinks of yellowish green then nothing!

Marc

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

PC USB and a Smartphone charger is not powerful enough to let the PlayBook boot up.

Desktop manager will recover it from bricked mode and you can lose your info this way.

as with any electronic devices, always back themup regularly.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.