If you are using Internet Explorer, please remove blackberry.com from your compatibility view settings.

Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Forums Advisor III
jerryg50
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700
My Carrier: BELL

Re: Play book wont power up or light just blinks

At this point I'd be calling RIM support for Playbook. They may have a simple solition or tell you to send back the unit for service.

I have my PB for about 4 weeks now. I'm on it many hours at a time. I charge it every night. So far I have no issues. But, anything can go wrong with any device.

Jerry G.
Jerry G.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Kakadu
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Developer

Hi!

I've receive Playbook after porting Comapping project on this platform. In Copenhagen this device was tested an worked correctly. But after moveing to Saint-Petersburg it doesn't work. I can't turn it on.

I think that device is fully uncharged. If I press power button I will see 1 red light and 5 yellow lights. And nothing

If I press power button for a 10 seconds device will once light with red and nothing.

If I press power, plus and minus buttons together for 10-15 seconds the device will light once with red and nothing.

I've connected device with 220V using charging cable (attaached to device) but no effect.

So my questions are:

1) Is it truth that I can't start charginfg device if it will be fully uncharged?

2) How to turn on device in my situation?

-------------------------------------

Kakadu

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
jerryg50

Is it possible the charger is not workimg properly?

You would need an original replacement charger to try. The PB will not properly charge with the same charger as the phone. The phone charger is only 700 ma rated. The PB charger that comes with it is rated at 1800 ma (if my memory is correct). With the original charger the PB should normally fully charge within about 6 hours.

Connect the charger first and then while connected press the red button to turn on the PB while connected to the charger to start the dead PB. As you know if the PB is not powered on it will not charge.

I found the optional fast charger to be better than the one that comes with the PB. I have been using the optional charger. Its faster and it can run the PB like a power supply. It uses a magnetic connector which is interesting and easier to connect.

From your description it sounds like your charger is not putting out power for some reason. It is also possible the PB is defective but less chance of that.

From what I read, the 1800 ma charger that comes with the PB will work as a fast charger for the Blackberry phone. You can try it with the phone to see if it works. If it charges the phone then chances are its not defective.

Jerry G.
Jerry G.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
walliedirt
My Device: Storm - Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

knottyrope wrote:
while plugged in did you try to turn it on?

it wont charge unless turned on.

See thats the issue it will not turn on at all. Plugged in, not plugged in. When I "think" its one the lights blink. I'm just going to have to exchange it I guess its only 2 weeks old. I'm pretty bummed out because I love this thing.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
walliedirt
My Device: Storm - Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

[ Edited ]

Good suggestion. Now sugestions indicator before this all happened was at around 90% I've never let this thing go below 18%.

So the PB is still plugged into the wall via OEM charger. Going on 12 hours or so I think. Just tested the amp and null. So I plugged in my phone and I'm getting about 1789ma well with in specs.

I'll see if I can pick up a fast charger today for the hell if it. Even if this thing has failed I getting another one anyways.

One other thing. When I turn it off (no flashing light) then I plug it in the light will flash the same code 14.

Again thank you all for these suggestions.

Edit: Ill make sure I share my results whatever I may find.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Kakadu
My Carrier: Developer

[ Edited ]

I'm using OEM charging device because I don't have any other charging devices for playbook.

P.S. Maybe I have bad connection between charging cable and device? If charging cable is connected there is a little (1-2 mm) distance between device and charging cable's skin. It is very easy to disconnect cable from device. Is it normal?

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
jerryg50

That is your answer!

We found only the original Blackberry charger will work with the PB. In our company we tried some non originals on a PB because the stores at the time did not have originals in stock. We wanted spares to leave at various locations. None of them worked at all. We now bought originals. They all work properly witrhout any issues or faults.

We retuened all the clone chargers that we bought. We could not find one that worked. In fact it is risky to use a non manufacture original charger. If their voltage is slightly high and the devise does not preopwerly preotect there will be damage. Call RIM or visit a Blackberry dealer ansd get an original chargwer.

Jewrry G.
Jerry G.
Please use plain text.
New Developer
siaukia
My Carrier: Other

I think i'm having a hard time with my PB.

I left the battery to drain until it shuts down over the weekend and I'm so frustrated that I'm not able to switch it on after charnging it USB for over 48 hours and more.

I had yet to try charging the PB over the wall plug, as it's a US pin (need a convertor for this). Is there anyone succesfully fix a dead-flat battery problem with PB?

Symptom:

1. Battery at 0%

2. Charged with USB

3. Tried to switch on, red led turns on, and off

4. Green led blinks for few second

5. turns off

Sliding Puzzle Playbook Game - http://bit.ly/hgvZIG
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
jerryg50

Your converter is an actual transformer, or is it one of those low cost solid state devices? This makes a difference.

Also, if you are using a North American chargeer some are rated at 120 VAC / 60 Hz only. I don't have my PB charger with me to verify this.

It is best to have the original charger and it be rated for the electrical at your location. I have seen this type of issue with other elecrtronic devices.

Jerry G.
Jerry G.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
blackjack93117
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: AT&T

OK I'm only going through one more time:

For you who can't get the playbook to power up it means your battery is dead and it will not charge unless powered up! Catch 22.

Heres how to fix it:

1 Plug it in with the charger that came with it, not any USB charger will do.

2 Hold down the two volume buttons (+ and -) and the little red power button all simultaneously for ten seconds.

3 Playbook should boot normally.

Please use plain text.