Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Trusted Contributor
chrispycrunch
My Device: Z10, Playbook 32GB

Re: Play book wont power up or light just blinks

My playbook never had a power-on issue up until now. Referring back to this thread, I nearly forgot about the 10-second power-on button hold.

This did the trick and the playbook powered on.

-----------
Chris --- http://www.twitter.com/chrispycrunch
-----------
New Contributor
leodushi
My Device: Playbook

Hi Chris!

What you did is called a "hard reset", and it is always a very good first-step troubleshooting for any issues that may occur.

Also, as added info regarding Playbooks that become completely unresponsive, that may occur when a sofware is left running (even in background) which may drain the battery completely.

This is usually referred to as the battery being drained past the "freshness-seal".

A very good first measure to solve those cases will be to leave the Playbook charging for at least 6 hours with the original wall charger that came with the tablet and none other.

If, after doing this, the Playbook is still unresponsive and does not boot up, then it is possible that the issue is a bit more serious and may required some further investigation.

But only after these two first measures would it be recommendable to try updateing the software through Desktop Manager.

Hope this helps! :-)

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

kids left their playbook on all night while recording video

battery drained and would not charge up.

had to do the hard reset first to stop the recording from recovering

charge for an hour, then it would turn on

left on pod charger for a few hours and good to go

next is teach kids not to leave apps running when done

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor
Ultimate666
My Device: Storm and Playbook 64 GB

Connected mine directly to power instead of in the dock and it still will not boot. I get a solid red light for  few seconds, goes to green for one flash, then 3 flashes of yellow, and then black re:no light at all, not really impressed at the moment....

Forums Advisor III
jerryg50
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700

While the PB is connected to the charger press the reset button for about 10 seconds.  Then leave it on the charger for at least 6 hours minimum.  Make sure you are using the original PB charger. 

If the PB does not charge with this procedure you sould contact the PB support people.

Jerry G.

Jerry G.
New Contributor
Ultimate666
My Device: Storm and Playbook 64 GB

Tried that three times before your reply, figured one more won't hurt before calling, be damned if it did not fire up. Fourth times the charm, no idea why... thanks
Forums Advisor III
jerryg50

At this point, I would be calling Playbook tech support. I would expect they should have an answer that will lead to a solution.

Jerry G.

Jerry G.
New Contributor
leodushi
My Device: Playbook

Hi Ultimate666,

that may happen if you were charging it while you tried, because it may happen that the Playbook still didn't have enough "juice" to power up, even if it did have some battery. The Playbook, if it doesn't have enough battery power it will simply not power up. It may have happenned that at your fourth try it finally had enough pwero to boot up and so it did...! :-)

Bare in mind the batteries in the Playbook work somewhat contrary to how smartphone batteries do... in the sense that it is recommended to fully discharge smartphone batteries before recharging but with the Playbook you should NEVER fully discharge the battery!

Playbook batteries do not have a "memory" effect like smartphones, so you can recharge them even if you still have, say 80% battery available, it will not harm at all your Playbook's battery!

Hope this info helps...!

ecaraway
My Device: Playbook 16gb

The Car charger (9.97 at a local store) will also work. It took a couple of hours but where the USB and smart phone charger didn't charge the PB.
Forums Advisor III
jerryg50

The PB requires a charger with a high enough amp rating. The phone charger that comes with the phone will have problems to properly charge the PB.
Jerry G.