Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
carlschnurr
My Device: Playbook 16Gb

Re: Play book wont power up or light just blinks

[ Edited ]

I purchased the playbook 3 months +6 days ago, so I'm outside the  90 day complimentary support.

Yesterday morning I could not charge my Playbook with the wall charger that came with it. 

When plugged in to charge the lighting bolt would not display over the battery icon. 

After several attempts to charge it, the screen wouldn't come on.

Subsequent attempts to charge/power had the red light came on, followed by yellow light fading in/out for a couple seconds (like it was charging) but then the yellow light disappeared.

Then I got the red light followed by 5 blinking yellow lights.

I 've tried the following solutions

1. First press and hold the power button for 30 seconds, then wait 15 seconds and press the power button for 3 seconds.

2. Charge the BlackBerry PlayBook for 12 hours, then try to power on by power and Vol + at the same time for about 15 seconds you should see the red LED. If it powers on connect it to the charger.

3. Plug in the wall charger for 2 minutes, then unplug for 2 minutes. Repeat these steps 6 to 7 times. After plugging for the last 2 minutes, instead of unplugging the tablet press the power button. If at that time it powers on leave it charging for 6-10 hours.

4. > Connect your device to the PC via USB cable (connect it directly and do not use a USB hub) 
    > Open the Desktop Software or higher) and see if it detects your device      (otherwise press the power button for 10 seconds and it should detect the device) 
    > Once detected you will get a prompt and select the middle option the upgrade

> your firmware will then be reloaded (this also sets everything back to factory) 
    > Once completed disconnect your device from the USB and then connect it the power charger supplied with the device
    > Within a few minutes it should automatically turn on.

I have Desktop Software 6.1.0.36 installed, but it couldn't detect my Playbook
    I've seen some posts refer to DM ( which I assume is Blackberry Device Manager) 
    but DM also shows no connected devices,

How can I verify that my charger is working properly.

When I plug in the charger the red light/yellow flashing sequence sometimes happens automatically, so I assume it is making connection (at least sometimes)
However, other times it doesn't start until I push the red power/reset button

Any suggestions on how to proceed?

Forums Advisor III
jerryg50
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700

To verify the Playbook charger, try it on a Blackberry phone, or a phone that is compatible to charge with the type of connector on the charger. It is a powerful charger for a regular phone, therefore I would use it for testing only.

The other option is to try another Playbook charger.

With the recent OS updates, the Playbook can charge using the phone charger when in the standby mode, but it will charge extremely slow. It will display the battery symbol, and not the lightning.

With a number of the different tablet types, if the battery is allowed to go very far down they could be a bit difficult to start the charging cycle.

One method that I found works with the Playbook when it is dead; is to connect the charger, and about every five minutes, hold down the red reset button for about 6 seconds and release. I did this for about 5 cycles before it started to charge normally. This keeps resetting the uPC controller for the battery circuits inside the tablet. 

There is supposed to be a one year warranty on the Playbook. If you cannot get it going, your best solution is to call RIM and arrange to have it serviced. Unfortunately, the customer has to pay the shipping from my past experience.

Also, the dealer where you bought the Playbook may be able to deal with RIM on your behalf.

Jerry G.

Jerry G.
New Contributor
carlschnurr
My Device: Playbook 16Gb

[ Edited ]

Thanks jerryg50.

Problem resolved with RMA from Blackberry (on phone for about 1hr & 20minutes)

This is what I was asked to do 

1. Stack Charge (again but slightly different timing) [This takes over 1/2 hour]
    Repeat 10x, 1 minute 55 seconds plugged in to wall charger, 60 seconds unplugged
    After last unplug, let it sit for 1 minute
    See if it powers up.
    Mine didn't
  2. Connect to Desktop
    -Download latest Desktop Software & try to detect playbook
    Software couldn't detect playbook.

3. Repeat Stack Charge [3rd time]

To their credit Blackberry support actually stayed on the phone during the entire process.
They must be able to come up with an App or even countdown timer software on the blackberry website  to make the stack charging process easier (non value added / waste of both my time and Blackberry support resources).

After all this, still couldn't get rid of Red/ 5 Blinking Yellow light sequence, and couldn't get Desktop sofware to detect playbook.

RMA (returned merchandise approval), covered by warranty.

Contributor
marcwlux
My Device: Torch 9810, Playbook 32

I had a similar problem, and I had contact to the support from BB, so try following.

The playbook don't charge when power off, but it charges for 1 minute, everytime without power-on.

Try to do this 10 times.

disconnect you PB

connect your PB for 1 minute

disconnect for 1 minute

connect your PB for 1 minute

disconnect for 1 minute

repeat this 10X

when everything is OK with your hardware, then your PB has enough power to make a system start

regards

Marc

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
New Contributor
jem9jem
My Device: Blackberry Playbook

Thank you this seemed to be the solution... and I did not have to pay 49.00 or it...  Only downfall to blackberry products.  No customer service...

Contributor
marcwlux
My Device: Torch 9810, Playbook 32

Hi, if the post was the solution please give a like to that corresponfing reply.

Thank you

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
New Contributor
jallenfr
My Device: Playbook

Thank you.  This stacked charging worked for me, although again the timing was slightly different.  A Kiwi electrican who was trying to solve this with me did it, and he recognised it was about 30 secs from power connect to last yellow light blink, so he stacked the charges that way, did it about 10 times or so, then pushed startup button when the final charge was still going in.  With the next time he connected the power, it went straight to flashing green light, and the charging was underway, and we powered up after waiting for charge-up for about 30 mins or so.  

The new O/S installed automatically, it rebooted, and all is fine now.  SO glad to have my playbook back, but I did lose all my e-books and photos.  

New Contributor
gummbieone
My Device: Playbook

[ Edited ]

Conect to pc or mac thou usb software (deasktop softtware) update.  May take 2 hours .  Check to c all updates .net 3.5 sp 2 next java update. Last but make work disable norton if you have. 

New Contributor
robertjblais
My Device: Torch and Playbook

mine is now doing the same effing thing any solution

Forums Advisor III
jerryg50
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700

[ Edited ]

I found when connecting the Playbook or phone to the computer, the Blackberry desktop software can take up to a few minutes to respond. Normally, I see it respond within a minute. If it does not, then make a reset of the apparent phone or tablet. On a rare occasion the USB controller in the PC may not be responding correctly, and thus the PC should also be reset.  This is providing the battery is up to within the charged requirments.

I have also seen a defective USB cable make problems. Many of the cheaper cost USB cables do not properly function with the Blackberry devices. These are the cables that you see selling for about half the price or less. Their specs are not really up to par.  It is best to use a high quality cable. The original Blacberry cable type would be the most reliable. They are on the expensive side if you require a spare cable, or lost the original.

If the battery is too much discharged, this type of effect will occur.

From what I have been told, the battery must be at least 20% or more charged for it to properly respond for access and do software updates.

If the Playbook will not properly respond to charging when connected to its charger, try pressing the re-set button (red button at top) and holding it for about 6 seconds. Repeat about once every several minutes. After a number of times the internal power control circuits in the Playbook should start to respond. If not, I suggest to call support. Some people claimed that disconnecting and reconnecting the charger cable about every several minutes also helped to get the charge action going.

Also, if you do some news group and web searches about how to get a very low battery Playbook to respond to charging, you should come up with solutions that others have done.

I found that it is not only the Playbook that has charging issues with a very low battery. Many of the other tablets and phones respond the same way. The key with any of the phones and tablets is to not fully discharge the battery.

The Playbook will not properly charge using the regular phone charger. This is also for trying to charge the Playbook on a USB port. The original charger has about 2X the current capacity of the phone charger.

The phone will charge very easily from a USB port. It will take about 20% longer to charge than from its charger.

Jerry G.

Jerry G.