Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
kevinmcl
My Device: PlayBook

Re: Play book wont power up or light just blinks

I got an iPad 2 for the mother-in-law, and the wife got herself a Kobo Vox for handheld reading and browsing, so I was starting to see the appeal of a tablet. Finally got a PlayBook 32GB at Future Shop. 

I'm on my second one, now.

The first one went back to Future Shop the very next day, having never been turned on. Right out of the box, it refused to charge. Yes, I tried all the button-press and button-hold options and combinations, and it just refused. The LED would show red for about 20 seconds, then it would blink yellow/green-ish for about 3 seconds, then croak. It wasn't the included charger (13 hours) and it wasn't the the cable - I used another cable to connect to my laptop's USB port (5 hours) where it behaved in exactly the same way.  

When I took it back, the girl at Returns processed the return straight-away, then turned me over to a support guy who similarly failed to get the device to behave, then opened the display case to dig out another one. While unlocking and retrieving, he said... and I quote:  "Yeah, that's BlackBerry all right. Are you sure you want another one?"  Like a fool, I said "yes", but now that I've seen all 47 pages of this thread, I'm waiting for my replacement Playbook to fail. 

I guess we don't have to look far to understand why RIM is doing so badly in the market these days. 

Another company that was being hammered in the market would at least test the **bleep** products before shipping them, especially given how long the PlayBook has been out. 

Also, the first thing my new PlayBook did when I powered it on was to download the latest version OS... which is a good thing, but it still doesn't include what my Motorola phone and many, many other devices have - pattern-tap or pattern-draw unlocking. How hard can that be? 

Also, I'm typing this on my elderly MacBook Pro, since a post of this length on the PlayBook virtual keyboard would be an eye-bleeding, finger-cramping experience. 

I've been using the PB and buying a few apps, but I'm not going overboard until I see if the thing lasts more than a month.  

Contributor
richdion51
My Device: playbook

I have had my PB since day one, and yes at times it will behave oddly, but I've learned to be patient, hold the power button for 20 seconds and then all is good.  I actually have 4 in my home and another child saving feverishily to get his own.  One of then as had a problem with the micro usb charge port, but the rapid charger did manage to keep it powered, still have to send it in to be fixed, but that one is the property of my eldest daught who is hard on everything, so not too surprised the port is having issues. 

I love the PB, portability and usability are great and even though it had been agonizing waiting for some of the features now available in version 2.0, it really wasn't that much of an inconvenience.  I am not huge on app scanning, I have a few that I need and they work fine for what I need.  I want Netflix and Skype, but Video Chat works well as there are a few in the family. 

I also appreciate that I don't have to buy a new device, they are actively upgrading the existing device with improvements in the operating systems, the next upgrade will be something to watch out for, it will be very good.

If a sales clerk has some great insight in to the products he sells, or some truly valuable information perhaps he or they are under employed, consider the source when listening to the advise of others.  that applies to me as well, I can't establish credibility over a blog, but I will say my experience with BB have been good, maybe not great but solid. 

I use the 9900 as well and have the keyboard, not loving the keyboard yet, but I do Love the Bridge!

Forums Advisor III
jerryg50
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700

I use a number of Playbooks, and I last know a number of heavy users. I have not seen any issues with them. So far I've been lucky. Personally I'd buy another one if needed.
Jerry G.
New Contributor
Plaisance
My Device: Playbook and Style9670

I had my playbook flat dead for over a week....not a light!! I didn everything that was suggested in the forums and nothing worked!

Well, a friend of mine suggested that I try the car charger. And lo and behold, it worked!! As soon as I started the car and plugged in the playbook, the light was solid red and immediately the playbook came on!

I hope this works for anyone who has the same problem!!

Forums Advisor III
jerryg50

Maybe your original charger is defective. Get the charger checked. This should not be the case.

Jerry G.
Jerry G.
New Contributor
Plaisance
My Device: Playbook and Style9670

original charger is fine! I finished the charge on the playbook with it!!

New Contributor
heisman8
My Device: Blackberry Playbook

Here is the best one of all...Finally Blackberry decided to ship me a referbished unit and it powered up but the light keeps pulsing dim to bright! What a joke!!! I have lost all faith in blackberry products...

Forums Advisor III
jerryg50

This sounds like it was not properly checked before it left!

Call them up and complain, and arrange to send it back.

Jerry G.

Jerry G.
Trusted Contributor
togdeepak
My Device: 9600

thanks for this info
deepakg
Forums Veteran I
Lost_at_Sea
My Device: PlayBook 64 GB & Torch 9860

When the green light pulses like that it indicates it is charging.