Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Forums Veteran I
jarviser
My Device: Two PB's

Re: Play book wont power up or light just blinks

[ Edited ]

RossyMary wrote:

And I am not going to respond any message to the RIM nerdy fans that seems to be getting paid by RIM to give "advice" here posting indefinite messages about "how to press two buttons and count to 10 to restart" or "how you dare to switch off the playbook" or getting preached for "allowing the tablet battery to discharge"... 

Now you are being ridiculous. Enthusiasts try to help. Ingratitude may make us less willing to do so. Rant at RIM not us thank you. 

P.s. Don't think RIM are in the business of remunerating british old age  pensioners, and I think over 60 you stop being a nerd and graduate to old "bleep".

Solutions: 5,881
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

RossyMary wrote:

And I am not going to respond any message to the RIM nerdy fans that seems to be getting paid by RIM to give "advice" here posting indefinite messages about "how to press two buttons and count to 10 to restart" or "how you dare to switch off the playbook" or getting preached for "allowing the tablet battery to discharge"... 

This is the best news I've heard all day. 

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
kevinmcl
My Device: PlayBook

Why would you say that?
It sounds like she's having the same problem I had, right out of the box with my first BB Playbook, and if you had given the kind of advice she was quoting, it would have been just as utterly useless to me as it's been to her. At least Future Shop took my first one back (their tech could not get it to light up OR accept charge, either), but RIM support was completely useless, and the forums kept repeating this nonsense about hold down this-and-that button for 10 seconds, 15 seconds, 20 seconds (all of which I did, over and over and over) with absolutely, completely, utterly NO EFFECT. I spent a couple of hundred dollars on the unit, and then about 300 dollars of my time and frustration before I gave up and took it back.
Now I just hope my replacement makes it past the 3-month mark, which I'm told is the next milestone for failure...
Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,881
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Listen, just because something doesn't work for you or others, but HAS worked for many others, doesn't mean it just won't work, at all, period. It has worked for others. So, it's always a first-line bit of advice to try.

So,.those of us who do help out around here will do just that. You need.to do what is best for you. 

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
jerryg50
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700
My Carrier: BELL

I own a number of Playbook tablets. We use them most every day for hours on end. We also have a fair number of Blackberry phones. We've only had problems with the devices if they were dropped on hard pavement, or fell in to water. We had to replace them because once there is water damage the complete circuit board is done-fore. This is with any electronic device, unless it was built to be waterproof.

There were a number of times we had to send a phone out for service. Most problems were from being rough handled. When it came back it was working okay. So-far our tablets have been working very well.

As far as construction quality is conserned the RIM product is built well, and we found it performs well.  Our biggest conserne was security and privacy. This with the RIM product we know we have. We do not install any non approved software in to our devices. We are very carefull for security.There is a good reason why government agencies, security companies, and others alike are heavily using RIM products.

I don't know your particular circumstance of why you are having problems with your tablet.

As for myself, I do not work for RIM or have any dealing with them other than being a customer. I participate in these news groups more for my learning, and also to be able to help out people when I know the answers to their questions.

Jerry G.

Jerry G.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
kelloggs
My Device: Not Specified

Hi all, so I left my playbook over the weekend with some BlackBerry service guy who equally had tried all the other procedures before resorting to opening up the PB to unscrew the battery out for a few seconds and putting it back, then plugging the wall power adapter which evidently brought the PB back to life. However, in that process, he cracked the screen so we have now ordered a new screen and waiting to have it replaced.

But i am happy the PB is back and I have already started doing my backup, I hope to buy a new one soon anyway.

Thanks all.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Plaisance
My Device: Playbook and Style9670
My Carrier: Bell

Mine was dead for a week and I finally charged it using the car charger!

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
jerryg50

A BIG drawback with the tablet, is NEVER let the battery go dead. The internal battery controller requires some mattery power to manage the battery for charging. There are some procedures that are time consuming that usually bring it back to life without having to open the tablet.

I NEVER let the battery go flat. I only use an original charger for the tablet. I have chargers at all the locations where I go. I also have some quick chargers for our tablets.

Jerry G.
Jerry G.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
apothecare
My Device: Playbook 16g
My Carrier: n/a

I feel sorry for the forum contributors that are trying to help us with these problems, clearly they are doing it on their own time and not for their personal benefit, so it is a mistake to attack them or treat them rudely (and I'm guilty of that to an extent too...)

It is just SAD that RIM hasn't made a better attempt to address this issue...it is clear that this is a common problem

yet you never see any official advice on how to deal with it, nothing in the knowledge base, always second-hand information that often seems like a waste of time (multi-button presses, stack charging, finding different adapters, and other voodoo solutions)

so, unfortunately, these frustrated users shoot the messengers when this advice doesn't work

RIM could do a real service to these volunteers by either fixing the problem or making some official troubleshooting info available directly to the users to save all this time and heartache (at both ends)

my hat is off to anyone who is posting helpful info but I sure wish RIM would just provide solutions instead of speculation.

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
jerryg50

There are some official procedures for the over discharged battery issue. I presently don't have the links. These procedures are a bit time consuming, but if the PB is not defective they work.

If you do a Google search there are a number of Blackberry terrific forums you can join for Blackberry users. There are ovee 70 million users of RIM devices.

As for myself, I have not had any serious issues with RIM products.

Jerry G.
Jerry G.
Please use plain text.