Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
tabitha98
My Device: Playbook

Re: Play book wont power up or light just blinks

Thanks John! Well... shortly after I posted that we went from Red light to a battery charge image with a lightening bolt across on the screen the image went away and the red light went off... So I am back to ground zero and stumped on how to get this BPB charged and/or operational...  Thanks for the tip.  Will just keep tinkering....

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,931
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Tabitha, LEAVE it connected to the wall outlet charger (not the USB > PC charger).
Leave it connected for 24 hours... every 3-5 hours, press and hold the power button only for about 20 seconds. Eventually it will boot on up, but first must reach a certain charge level.
You will see the blinking red and perhaps yellowish LED light, and perhaps a symbol on screen of "no battery". That means the battery is drained, but it must reach a certain charge before powering on.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
tabitha98

Thank you! Unfortunately, the red light doesn't even last 3-5 hours before it turns off so I can't exercise that procedure you suggested. I did try though!

Background:  The behaviour thus far has been black screen --> I plug into wall outlet with the corded charger (not the USB) --> red light comes on automatically within 8 seconds ---> light stays on for as short as a minute sometimes and up to 20 minutes other times then it goes off.  If I hold it down or try the other tactics of the +/- on the volume or even trying the center button between the volume controls, the red light goes off even faster and there is no indication of a reboot or activity if I just leave it still for a few minutes. I also tried the short stack charge approach (plugging into the electrical receptical, waiting until red light comes on , then unplugging, pausing, replugging - repeating that procedure 25-30x).  I also tried the 2 minute stack charge approach of 2 minutes charging and 2 minutes not.  Finally, tried the 2 minutes charging and 8 seconds not charging.  Nothing has brought up that infamous battery symbol....  This has been hours of troubleshooting and very disappointing in the product; it is not how I wish to spend a Saturday.

Please use plain text.
JSanders

Let me encourage you... keep it charging, and every few hours, press ONLY the power button for 20 seconds.

You don't need to try the power and  - and + minus volume keys (that was the reboot procedure in OS 1).

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
tabitha98

Thanks to all that tried to help.  Doesn't look like your tips/tricks worked for us though but greatly appreciated.   My mother bought this too and doesn't seem to have a receipt so we're s.o.l on trying to send into RIM for the warranty.

Background:  PB had more than enough charge but we woke up one morning and it wouldn't turn on. I suspect I did some upgrade and when it tried to went into standby or some default reboot it got stuck in that viscious loop. We hid it from our preschooler and than left it plugged into its original charger for nearly a week given I didn't have time to troubleshoot.  During this peiod, we had the Red light for seconds or minutes and then it would go off.  This weekend we decided to spend time researching a fix to see what was going on.  I am shocked at the sheer volume of reported issues like this over the years - why hasn't RIM fixed this?

Here's what I have done over the last 28 hours with some interim success on the stack charge but that was short-lived.

1) I went and bought the upright charger/docking station figuring maybe it was my original power cord or a weak usb port. 

2) Plugged that new docking station into the Power Bar/Surge Protector

3) Saddled the PB into the carriage. Waited for Red light (which came after  a few seconds). Paused for a minute to see if it would go Yellowish White and then flicked the off-switch on the Power Bar.  Repeated this just under 20x and noticed that the Red Light was incrementally staying on even after I cut the power.  That was progress!!

4) After a few more times of watching the red light stay on even with the power cut I decided to hold down the Power button.  That didn't work.  Tried holding down the Power + the "Volume +" sign + the "Volume -" sign.  The red light went out after a few seconds followed by the screen getting a light glow.

5) Reactivated the power.  The glow lasted several minutes and then we got a battery charge symbol on the screen.  Ureka (I thought...)

6) Left everything still and charging and watched for a few hours as the amber light flashed.  There was no longer an image on the screen but the amber light continued to pulse for hours so I presumed it was working.

7) 6 hours later came down just before bed and no lights whatsoever....  Decided just to leave it and not interfere if it was still charging.

8) 5 hours more and this morning around 9 am, I took it off the docking station and tried to Power it on.  Nothing... Tried holding down the various buttons - nothing.  Tried putting it back onto the docking station.  Tiny red light for nanoseconds and then that was it.  Never saw the light again. 

9) Redux all today, I spent re-attempting the stack charge approach that I had the most success with but there has been zero sign of life - no lights - no screen images - no faint glowing light.  Tried plugging into the PC - doesn't see the device.  Retried the original charger it came with - no life. Tried a few reboot procedures - nadda.  Have left it on the charger all day and no sign of life. 

Sadly, it was a recent 3rd birthday gift to my son which worked great for 4 months and he workshipped the educational apps.  I tend to accept all the OS or software updates so not sure if this was the root cause.  Hard to get away from it though and restore when there is no visible life on the device.  I don't think the Blackberry Playbook should have this kind of limited shelf life.  Our friends all work at RIM so we'll be sure they hear about our deep disappointment - this is a pretty significant flaw and it's not exactly a new one. I hope this doesn't happen to any of you...  We bought an iPad 3rd generation yesterdya and admittedly, we were hoping to return it if we could recover our Playbook this morning.  Doesn't look like we'll be returning the iPad;  seems more like we'll be chucking the Playbook in the garbage. :-( 

Last call:  Anyone have some idea what happened between the stack charge working yesterday and then zero life this morning after it had all night to charge?  (Note - we did not jingle or move anything - we left it on a level surface).

Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Have you contacted RIM? There is support info at www.BlackBerry.com/playbook

They have been supporting the devices thus far.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
JSanders

John_Clark wrote:
Have you contacted RIM? There is support info at www.BlackBerry.com/playbook

They have been supporting the devices thus far.

I have to add a ditto here... RIM has been very accepting of helping on this problem with devices. You don't need the receipt.

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Visitor
tfarrant

Seems we are having the same issue as tabitha. Its been on charge over night, gone to shut it down and restart it but now it won't restart seems to have a dull light in the back ground,

Only bought it last night from Currys/PCworld probably the worst company to deal with.

Is this normal thing to happen if it is then its going back tonight..

Cheers

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
hvymtlgds
My Device: blackberry playbook

Hey gang,

so I have been watching all of these posts for the past few months as I have had the red light that turns on then off and the flashing yellow lights.  I just solved my problem yesterday as I decided that with interchanging chargers with another playbook would not solve the problem, however I felt it was the connector having some type of issue. I decided to buy the rapid charge magnetic charger and the second I attached that the red light came on and then faded off not turned off like it normally did. I came back an hour later and I heard the ding of low battery. after a second hour I pushed the power button and it came to life. it took about 4 hours to get half a charge but it is fully operational again. I recommend tying the magnetic rapid charger and they are available through the Staples website.

Good luck to all of you.

Alex

Please use plain text.
Visitor
burb
My Device: Playbook 16gb

After having my 16gb PB for a year, I accidentally let the battery go way down (below 10%).  This was the first time I had let it get down that far.  I received a warning msg on the screen, and I intended to put it on the charger at that point, but I was distracted and forgot about it until the next morning.  Result:  Very DEAD PB.  Would not charge, would not start, and no led at all (dead).  I tried everything suggested  in this forum and elsewhere on the web.  No success until I located the "hard reset" described in the YOUTUBE video (remove back, remove 2 small screws, and pull up multiple pin connector for at least 30 seconds -- I did about 45 seconds -- and then put everything back together).  I tried the power button and surprise:  the orange led came on for about 17 seconds.  I then did 3-4 cycles of the "stack charging" as has been suggested, and suddenly it began to pulse very slowly with green led  -- normal charging behavior.  After a few hours, I tried to boot it, and surprise -- it started up.  I read on several forums about this.  If this is such a common remedy, why can't RIM put a "reset" button on the device to achieve the same result???  One should not have to take the device apart (for several obvious reasons) !

Please use plain text.