Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
woodlandechoes
My Device: Play book
My Carrier: rogers

Re: Play book wont power up or light just blinks

PS they said the same about Apple a couple of years ago, and look what it is to-day
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
woodlandechoes
My Device: Play book
My Carrier: rogers

Remember NORTEL, they had tons of great products, but  It went down because the upper mamagement were crooks. I believe some were charged with fraud? Is RIM upper management the same?

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
jerryg50
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700
My Carrier: BELL

I do remember looking back some years ago Apple was not doing so well. Then Jobs came along and turned it completely around. He was what we call a technical visionary. He knew exactly what the users wanted in their gadgets. He fit things together exactly right.

Historicaly many companies had great turn-arounds. It takes the right ideas at the right time.

Jerry G.
Jerry G.
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
cmeagh
My Device: Palybook
My Carrier: Bell

True but Blackberry is in some heavy competition, both in the tech field and in the political field and they have made some very strategic errors in those areas and in their marketing. The Playbook could have been a winner but they tried to ride the fence and that is never a good move if you are trying to set the pace.   

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
jerryg50

RIM holds many of the patents that are being used by other manufactures, and is collecting royalties from many of their products. This is something that has been sometimes mentioned in the news. You have to consider that RIM is the pioneer in PDA and Smartphone technology. 

As for marketing, I have to fully agree that RIM made some huge mistakes. The biggest on was not having a properly prepared software for a terrific tablet device. They kept behind in what the general users wanted in a phone. 

They still have a chance to fix all of this if they get their act together in a proper fashion. 

Jerry G. 

Jerry G.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
SMOKESKULL
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: telus

you had a hard time holding the power button for 10 seconds? had to use a key? i hope you have a lot of respect for mechanics who contort their hands, arms, and entire bodys sometimes to remove instal a single fastner and do this all day long day in and day out. And they do it for piece work pay, and dont have the option to turn down the job. honestly you couldnt hold the power button for 10 seconds? Sheesh
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
jerryg50

You could be right... Take a look at Apple. They did very much a similar thing as what we see with RIM. I remember reading articles predicrting Apple will not make it. Then Jobs came back and turned it around.

We don't know yet what the new RIM director will do. I still think RIM has a good chance to come back, but they have to do it right. They will need people with good ideas and innovation.

I realize the market demographics are different now, and the technology has changed.

Jerry G.
Jerry G.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
EdtheTed
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Rogers

I have an iPad and a Playbook. The iPad lasts _way_ longer without charging. And it has not turned into a brick over the past year like my Playbook did in less than a week. I used it on the plane flying to Singapore and loved it, took a bunch of notes which I now fear I've lost. I like the Playbook a lot but it is _very_ frustrating that so many people have had the same problem and RIM seems to want to ignore it. I didn't bring my wall charger on this trip because every other mobile device I've used for the past several years (Palm, ipod, iphone, ipad etc.) work fine charging from the computer.

This problem is lame beyond belief. And I actually "like" the playbook (or should I call it PlayBroke?).

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
cmeagh
My Device: Palybook
My Carrier: Bell

Its sure not the slickest, if RIM doesn't come through with there so called Updates by the end of FEB as they have been promissing my Playbook will be gone, I doubt we will see RIM do anything to make major improvements

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
jerryg50

When I first got the Playbook it had many software issues. Some web pages using Java were crashing the Playbook. The MS Bing maps were buggy to respond. The GPS was not always stable. I had a huge list of faults.

I found that as the updates came the bugs were fixed. I also saw some small features being added which greatly improved the ease of use.

RIM did a poor planning job with their tablet as far as the software and some of its OS is conserned. This really hurt them badly in the market place. As for the hardware is conserned the quality is very high.

I found the Playbook to be really useless if it is not bridged and tethered to a Blackberry phone. It has very little useful client type software. It needs Wifi only just to simply go on the net if it can't be tethered.

In the last updates they improved the bridge browsing. I still find tethered browsing to be much better.

They should make their desktop management software to be able to work in 64 bit mode. I use Win7 64 bit. The 64 bit OS is becomming more common. This will soon be another issue for RIM.

Jerry G.

Jerry G.
Please use plain text.