Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
Beate_Rattlesnake
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook Version 2.0.0.7971
My Carrier: Telekom Austria
Accepted Solution

PlayBook AppWorld Apps don't work

Hi,

I just recently purchased a BlackBerry PlayBook in the U.S. and have the following  
2 problems:

When I open the AppWorld the menue buttons often don't respond at all,  
sometimes only after pressing on them hard for many times. Sometimes the opening pages stutter

or hang slightly.

The "normal" desktop screen of the playbook works fine in regards to tapping  
on icons so do the applications like the camera, youtube etc. which  
were already installed from the start.

The main problem is that the I downloaded a book from the AppWorld, which  
installed properly, but now I cannot find out how to open/read it.

The book/this app only shows up in "my world" and not on the main  
screen - with the "delete" button beside.

When I tap on the book only the information of the book opens up with  
the possiblity to download it (!) - and I can write a review.. but I  
cannot find out how to read it!

I tried to find answers online without any luck.

Also the ebook by Kobo and all the other apps in "my World" won't open  
- they also only are in the "my world" section in the AppWorld but not  
on the main screen and I also cannot use either of them.

I erased the weather app from my desktop (which was there when I bought it) and tried

to download another one from the App World for free.

Same problem: it downloaded fine (I can see the bar going ti 100%) but then it does not show on my

main screen.

I tried to press the 3 buttons power and volumes at once but that didn't do anything at all..

I am really frustrated as I bought the playbook in the U.S. and am now  
back home in Austria..

I really hope that you can help.

Thank you for your time!

Best regards
Beate

Please use plain text.
Developer
cas118
My Device: Z30 / PlayBook 64GB
My Carrier: Virgin Mobile UK

Re: PlayBook AppWorld Apps don't work

Very weird.

Anything that you download in AppWorld should automatically appear on the home screen.

Ihave you tried just rebooting your PlayBook?

If not, you might want to wipe it and reinstall the OS. This will probably fix the problems that you've been having with AppWorld not being responsive at the same time. Make sure you backup your data:
http://crackberry.com/factory-reset-blackberry-playbook-also-fixes-bricked-devices

Follow me on Twitter1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Beate_Rattlesnake
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook Version 2.0.0.7971
My Carrier: Telekom Austria

Hi John,

Many thanks for your quick reply! I managed to make my Apps work - but it's really tricky what I have to do so that the'll appear on the main scree..

I'd like to share this here, as maybe somebody else has a similar problem:

I tried to reset the playbook with the software (acc.to the page where you sent me the link) but that didn't do anything.

So I made a "security wipe" which is in the playbook-settings (found the how-to-do-that on YouTube).

Then I installed an App - same way as before - and - it worked and the App showed up on the 1st screen (there are 2 desktop screens as default). Now the 1st screen was full and I tought the next app will appear on the 2nd screen - but it didn't!

After doing a security wipe twice again I noticed that when I moved an app to page 2, suddenly out of the blue one of the previously installed apps appeared!

So i moved some of the apps from the 1st screen to the 2nd and 3rd, to make room and only then the downloaded Apps would show on the 1st screen! Isn't that weird??!

The problem that the screen is hanging in the App World and the buttons can't be activated sometimes is stil there but at least I can download & use apps - even if I'll have to move some apps to pages 2, 3 etc. to make room..

well - it's not perfect but at least I can use my playbook now!!

Thanks again for your help!!!

greetings from Vienna,

Beate

Please use plain text.
Developer
cas118
My Device: Z30 / PlayBook 64GB
My Carrier: Virgin Mobile UK

You might not have realised but the screens can be scrolled downwards. If your application is installed when the first screen is full, it will just appear by scrolling the apps upwards with your finger.

Follow me on Twitter1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
somersetbob
My Device: Playbook 64GB
My Carrier: Vodafone

This caught me as well, but you're suggestion is correct, the apps appear at the bottom of the first screen and its not obvious they are there. No need for a reboot.
Please use plain text.
kinng
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: Tesco

Fantastic I found as long as there was room on the first page the apps could be used. Thanks
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
DaveBlack
My Device: Playbook 64GB OS Version 2.1.0.1526
My Carrier: O2

I'm new to Playbook too. This problem had me more & more frustrated, but now all is sweetness & light!

It's really quite simple to move some of the Apps which I don't use to a later screen and make way for the newly downl;oaded ones.

I'm learning all the time, but love the speed and clarity of my Playbook.

Please use plain text.
TheSun321
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook 64GB
My Carrier: Tele2

Hello

I want to ask, does anybody knows, why I cant use BlackBerry World in my home country? I live in Estonia, this is EU (European Union) member country from 2004 and our country also a eurozone member. Our neighbour countrys Finland and Latvia is listed on BlackBerry home page but not Estonia. Why is so? Latvia and Lithuania even not a eurozone members, but Estonia is.
When it will be possible to download BlackBerry apps for Estonian BlackBerry users?
Please use plain text.