Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Visitor
netv
My Device: Playbook / Bold

Re: PlayBook Browser incompatable website list

You know, if they'd even let third party browsers that rely on the industry standard to run, it wouldnt be an issue.

You have to wonder sometimes dont you :smileyhappy:

http://management.northeasttruckandvan.com/

I have an issue with the above web site which purley functions on Javascript login credential validation. Runs fine on a Smart Phone e.g Bold ,iPad is fantastic, Android roo, every PC in the world I have tried so far not a problem - Playbook ? not a chance. Cant handle the login script parameter.

BB Support say :

Thank you for contacting BlackBerry Customer Support. We are pleased to assist you.

I have checked this out for you.  This does seem to be an incompatibility with the playbook browser and this website.  There is a script that is trying to run that the PlayBook does not support.

If you require further assistance, please feel free to contact us either by replying to this message or by calling us at one of the numbers below.

Thank you again for contacting us. Have a great day.

Sincerely,

BlackBerry Customer Support

Research In Motion Limited

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

netv wrote:

You know, if they'd even let third party browsers that rely on the industry standard to run, it wouldnt be an issue.

hello netv,

as far as I know, RIM does not prevent any third party editor to publish a browser for the PlayBook. If you don't see a MozillaFirefox or BOLT or Opera browser, it is not RIM's doing. If you read Opera Software's blog article about it, they do not express any defense from RIM:

http://my.opera.com/portalnews/blog/2011/03/28/rim-announces-android-app-support-for-playbook-tablet

That being said, the browser that RIM bundled on the TabletOS is based on Webkit, which is quite mainstream in my opinion.

I am quite surprised to read you say that the Safari on iPad handles that credential javascript validation correctly.

I have tried login in using my PlayBook browser, and I don't see any javascript involved. It is a basic HTML form that leads to a CGI on the IIS server. It means that the developer of the website works like what was done in the past century.

It seems that the login cgi is supposed to be fetched on the server and executed on the server, but for some reason the PlayBook tries to download it (using latest 1.0.5). In my opinion there is an issue with the MIME type, either on the serverside (the Microsoft IIS server) or on the clientside (the browser).

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
Contributor
woofwoof
My Device: 9800

This is really odd. www.google.ca
On the normal PB browser, pinch zoom does work. Also most of the links on the page don't work.
On the bridged browser, i don't experience this problem.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BB Z10
BB Playbook v1.06.2390
BB Torch 9810
BB Torch 9800 v6.0.0.448
BB Bold 9700
BB Bold 9000
Please use plain text.
Contributor
woofwoof
My Device: 9800

Further to my post, I found that if I turn off Javascript, the problem will go away. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BB Z10
BB Playbook v1.06.2390
BB Torch 9810
BB Torch 9800 v6.0.0.448
BB Bold 9700
BB Bold 9000
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex

@woofwoof
it is because in the lunar bar, you can slide it to take the eclipse stronger. It is done through javascript and not flash. i wonder how do other tablets react.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
sh2sg
My Device: Not Specified

This is annoying, for some websites the PlayBook browser promts for "save as..." instead of displaying page content, while these pages are fine with PC browsers or other smartphone browsers.

One example: http://bbs.city.tianya.cn/tianyacity/articleslist/0/235.shtml

The content is in Chinese but you can see the problem I mentioned. Just type the URL in PlayBook browser.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex

@sh2sg
in your example, the problem is on the web server of your webpage. I just copied that 235.shtml page onto my own website, and it works perfectly on the PlayBook.
You can check it out here: http://xandrex.free.fr/BlackBerry/bbs.city.tianya.cn.tianyacity.235.shtml

so the web server is badly configured, and the PlayBook is not able to cope with that bad configuration.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
garretfick

The Lotus Notes webmail (iNotes) has many problems. The ultra light version works, but that version is missing lots of very useful functionality, such as accepting a meeting.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex

@garretfick
this works as designed.

Lotus iNotes is currently not compatible with the PlayBook browser. More information can be found including the list of compatible browsers, on the following page.
https://www-304.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg27019537&wv=1

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
sh2sg

@Xandrex

I dunno if the web server is badly configed or not, but all the other PC/Smartphone browsers work fine except PlayBook, so it must be something wrong with PlayBook's browser. 

Maybe RIM should snif the HTTP headers when visiting this page, to see if anything special, eg a http status code that PlayBook missed handle.

Please use plain text.