Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
mlb1
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Orange

PlayBook OS - GPS Security Issue

[ Edited ]
The documentation talks only about being able to disable GPS for downloaded apps.  Isn't this quite a worrying security oversight?

There is no way to prevent the GPS being accessed by RIM or by built in 3rd party apps. 

It's tempting to think that if we don't launch GPS apps then nothing will be accessed in the background but that isn't always true.  For example, my email is set to only collect from a non blackberry imap server.  I still get new email notifications before I've launched the Messages app, so the OS is accessing services & transmitting data without a related app being running. 

The fact that there is no 'GPS - Off' switch in the main settings and that the documentation deliberately avoids talking about the OS and built in apps, suggests that RIM want GPS accessible for some reason.  Apple got in a lot of trouble for not explaining their location data usage and had to amend their OS to include some very detailed privacy settings.

The Playbook needs a system wide 'GPS - Off' setting.

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
TroyTempest
My Device: Playbook 32
My Carrier: 3

Re: PlayBook OS - GPS Security Issue

Many apps will use your wifi hotspots location to get a fix onyou if gps is off.  Your cell phone locates you to within half a mile and the government can get that info in minutes. In many countries you will be on cctv at least ten times a day. Scary eh?

By the way if you don't want push mail, turn push off.  the mail app is designed to run in the background as most people want to know when they have a mail. 

________
Please use plain text.