Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Reply
Contributor
philipt
Posts: 43
Registered: ‎11-29-2010
My Device: Z10; 16GB Playbook

Re: PlayBook OS v2.0.1.358 now available

I backed up my playbook before the update; apparently update went fine; after a playbook reboot, I cannot run a backup now.  When I click on the Backup icon, I get this error message: "There was an error backing up. There could have been a problem with the device or connection during the backup.  Verify that the device is turned on and connected."  I have rebooted the device and my computer; reconnected the cable and can browse the files using my computer.

 

How do I fix this issue with not being able to back up????

Trusted Contributor
vanawful
Posts: 113
Registered: ‎04-29-2011
My Device: BB PlayBook, BB Z10 (replaces my Motorola BIONIC), Apple iPhone5; iPhone3S

Re: PlayBook OS v2.0.1.358 now available


godot2011 wrote:

bugeja wrote:

it should be under MY Computer, but everytime I clicked on it my explorer window would crash. It was as if windows could not find anything there and it was infinatly searching....like forever. no joke i left it running from 8pm to 8am and still found it trying to search for something.


I suggest you deinstall BlackBerry Desktop and restart your PC.Now reinstall the BB Desktop. Make sure it is version 7. Now connect your PlayBook to the PC. I think the old version of OS2 allowed the PC to recognize the PB as a virtual disk even BEFORE connection was made between the Desktop and the PB. Based on my observation this evening this is no longer the case.  The PC did not recognize my PB until I got the connection working between the BlackBerry Desktop and the Playbook. If I am right this would be the correct mode of operation and the new release fixed a 'bug' nobody really cared about but RIM.

 


You need to uninstall Device Manager, not Desktop Software.

 

  1. Disconnect the PB from the computer.
  2. Uninstalle the Device Manager.
  3. Reboot your computer (for good measure)
  4. Connect the PB using the USB cable.
  5. Now you should see a PlayBook CD-ROM.
  6. In that CD-ROM you will find version 7 of the Device Manager, install it.
  7. Once installed disconnect the PB from the computer.
  8. Wait for about 15 seconds then plug it back in.
  9. Windows should detect new device and start Device Manager. It may take up to two minutes for windows to detect and properly install.
  10. Then device manager will map 'z' drive to the PB.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QNX + Android = BB10 = The only platform that offers the freedom of choice.
Trusted Contributor
vanawful
Posts: 113
Registered: ‎04-29-2011
My Device: BB PlayBook, BB Z10 (replaces my Motorola BIONIC), Apple iPhone5; iPhone3S

Re: PlayBook OS v2.0.1.358 now available


rat-7 wrote:

And what happen when your precious AppWord does not rememeber what you have already install, or better yet make you buy them all all over again.

 

I do not know about the Playbook, but on the Bold 9900, I had an update of the OS that erased all my program except for those that are RIM's supplied, and I had to buy them all, and that includes those that were offered by RIM as a gift before last December


My AppWorld has retained every app I ever installed through every OS update since the first production release.

 

It is different on the phonesets. I have seen apps that were written to run under OS6 not show up under OS7. If that is the upgrade you are referring too, then most likely the apps you lost are due to incompitability with OS7. On that note, I do remember having two apps for the PB that would not run when I upgraded to 2.0 (they were still listed in my appworld). I had to uninstall one of them and now it does not even show up in appworld for PB. The other one required a PAID update to run under 2.0.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QNX + Android = BB10 = The only platform that offers the freedom of choice.
Forums Advisor III
rat-7
Posts: 1,406
Registered: ‎04-19-2011
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 + Z30 + Playbook 64

Re: PlayBook OS v2.0.1.358 now available


vanawful wrote:

rat-7 wrote:

And what happen when your precious AppWord does not rememeber what you have already install, or better yet make you buy them all all over again.

 

I do not know about the Playbook, but on the Bold 9900, I had an update of the OS that erased all my program except for those that are RIM's supplied, and I had to buy them all, and that includes those that were offered by RIM as a gift before last December


My AppWorld has retained every app I ever installed through every OS update since the first production release.

 

It is different on the phonesets. I have seen apps that were written to run under OS6 not show up under OS7. If that is the upgrade you are referring too, then most likely the apps you lost are due to incompitability with OS7. On that note, I do remember having two apps for the PB that would not run when I upgraded to 2.0 (they were still listed in my appworld). I had to uninstall one of them and now it does not even show up in appworld for PB. The other one required a PAID update to run under 2.0.


Actually I was updating from a previous release of OS7 to a newer one, and I lost everything on the phone except for the basic programs that are installed by RIM, and then the AppWorld was completely empty, and I had to repay for everything I had previously installed on the phone, and there is even a few program that were there when I bought the  Bold 9900 that I can no longer find anywhere on AppWorld, I even boroughed another Bold that was not updated to check and the program can not be found at all and it was for the OS7, so I imagine that the Playbook would be the same

---------------------------------------------
Using the Playbook and the Z10 and the Z30 and loving them

Martin
Contributor
garlee
Posts: 12
Registered: ‎03-21-2012
My Device: Playbook

Re: PlayBook OS v2.0.1.358 now available

the power icon button which was useless anyways as it duplicated the battery bar function was eliminated when I updated to the original 2.0 ver back in Feb 2012
Contributor
bugeja
Posts: 15
Registered: ‎04-17-2012
My Device: PlayBook

Re: PlayBook OS v2.0.1.358 now available

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the tip anawful  ill try this out when I get home. Regarding The Desktop software V7. i was unable to locate a download for this, I was under the impression it was not available to the public...is this the case? If not where can I find it.

 

Thanks

Contributor
garlee
Posts: 12
Registered: ‎03-21-2012
My Device: Playbook

Re: PlayBook OS v2.0.1.358 now available

I thought i read something about a V .7.0 was available in Beta , however like you i could not see where to download, anyway i am not worried the version we have now is fine.

New Contributor
d9704011
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎04-19-2012
My Device: Playbook

Re: PlayBook OS v2.0.1.358 now available

I updated to the new OS and am now having difficulties communicating between the Playbook and my PC.  The BB Desktop Manager conti ually asks me to update thr Playbook OS (which I have tried a couple of times with no difference in te overall outcome) and I am no longer able to access the file system on my Playbook.  I get a meesage to the effect that the Media Feature does not function with the PB device.  Everything was great yesterday morning... Wish I had ignored the update.  Anybody have any suggestions on what I can do to resolve my problems?  Reinstalling all the software does not work. I have alreadt tried that!!

 

Trusted Contributor
vanawful
Posts: 113
Registered: ‎04-29-2011
My Device: BB PlayBook, BB Z10 (replaces my Motorola BIONIC), Apple iPhone5; iPhone3S

Re: PlayBook OS v2.0.1.358 now available


d9704011 wrote:

I updated to the new OS and am now having difficulties communicating between the Playbook and my PC.  The BB Desktop Manager conti ually asks me to update thr Playbook OS (which I have tried a couple of times with no difference in te overall outcome) and I am no longer able to access the file system on my Playbook.  I get a meesage to the effect that the Media Feature does not function with the PB device.  Everything was great yesterday morning... Wish I had ignored the update.  Anybody have any suggestions on what I can do to resolve my problems?  Reinstalling all the software does not work. I have alreadt tried that!!

 


Did you uninstall Device Manager (not desktop software), reboot, reconnect the PB, then install Device Manager V7 from the CD-ROM labeled PlayBook?

 


 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QNX + Android = BB10 = The only platform that offers the freedom of choice.
Trusted Contributor
vanawful
Posts: 113
Registered: ‎04-29-2011
My Device: BB PlayBook, BB Z10 (replaces my Motorola BIONIC), Apple iPhone5; iPhone3S

Re: PlayBook OS v2.0.1.358 now available


bugeja wrote:

Thanks for the tip anawful  ill try this out when I get home. Regarding The Desktop software V7. i was unable to locate a download for this, I was under the impression it was not available to the public...is this the case? If not where can I find it.

 

Thanks


It is not yet available to the general public. Version 6 works fine with OS2.0 and OS2.0.1.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QNX + Android = BB10 = The only platform that offers the freedom of choice.